Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stuff99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 11, 2007
Cnet wrote the following in thier iPhone review:

"The bad news is that the iPhone's iPod leaves out the ability to manually manage the transfer of music and video content. Unlike any previous iPod, the iPhone does not allow an option for manually dragging and dropping content from an iTunes library directly to the iPhone device icon. Instead, the iPhone strictly uses defined library syncing options for collecting and syncing content from your iTunes library to the device. This should work out fine for most people, but for a device with limited memory the inability to manually manage content seems like a misstep"

I don't have an iPhone yet but I was wondering if this problem is true. I find it kind of insane that apple didnt allow the option of manually manage and transfer songs and video content to the iphone but only massively syncing all ur music files from ur itunes library to your phone instead.

if this is indeed true...is there a way around it?

sJv

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2007
Sierra Foothills, CA
It's true. I just manually manipulate a set of playlists, then sync them to the iPhone. It's no big deal. Any change to the playlist does not cause the entire playlist to get re-loaded, just the differences. At first I was taken aback as I have been manually managing music on my 60GB 5G iPod, but I learned to get used to it. I actually now see the value of have the same playlists in iTunes as the iPod as it makes things portable.

-steve

Cnet wrote the following in thier iPhone review:

"The bad news is that the iPhone's iPod leaves out the ability to manually manage the transfer of music and video content. Unlike any previous iPod, the iPhone does not allow an option for manually dragging and dropping content from an iTunes library directly to the iPhone device icon. Instead, the iPhone strictly uses defined library syncing options for collecting and syncing content from your iTunes library to the device. This should work out fine for most people, but for a device with limited memory the inability to manually manage content seems like a misstep"

I don't have an iPhone yet but I was wondering if this problem is true. I find it kind of insane that apple didnt allow the option of manually manage and transfer songs and video content to the iphone but only massively syncing all ur music files from ur itunes library to your phone instead.

if this is indeed true...is there a way around it?

stuff99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 11, 2007
I guess I have to create playlists just for the iPhone...since I don't want some songs on my iMac loaded onto the iPhone

how does syncing photos work then?

ARH1956

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
NE Alabama
I guess I have to create playlists just for the iPhone...since I don't want some songs on my iMac loaded onto the iPhone

how does syncing photos work then?
In iTunes I created a Music Playlist cleverly entitled "iPhone Playlist". I simply drag music I want on the iPhone here. I did exactly the same thing in iPhoto, creating an "iPhone Album" here as well & drag any photos I want on the iPhone in. Then on the iTunes iPhone menus I click on the sync "Selected Playlists" tab in music & the sync "Selected Albums" in photos. Works perfectly for me.

Ephoenix

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2013
It’s true. We can transfer files from iTunes to iPhone directly but iTunes blocks us from transferring files back. But if you want to transfer songs from iTunes to iPhone, you can find some useful transfer program. When I met this problem, I was following this tutorial to transfer songs from iTunes to iPhone.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.