Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Sep 17, 2007, 06:38 PM   #1
toxicbomber
Banned

Send a message via AIM to toxicbomber Send a message via MSN to toxicbomber Send a message via Skype™ to toxicbomber
Red face iPod Touch Screen Problem

First off, you guys who have the iPod Touch aren't getting a premium product therefore you won't get all the great features the iPhone has to offer. Ok now let me explain to you why the screen has a "negative" effect. Remember that the iPods aren't made by Apple but rather in countries in China around that area. Some displays are better than others and some are worse than others. This ALL has to do due to the fact that these iPods are using a lower contrast ratio. You just might be lucky and get a good screen with a higher ratio. Don't blame Apple for this. You are getting a low ranged product so you get what you pay for.

~toxicbomber
toxicbomber is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 06:40 PM   #2
Zwhaler
macrumors Demi-God

Yeah, but that doesn't explain why I have negative black and about 10 stuck pixels (3 of em grouped right next to eachother)
Old Sep 17, 2007, 06:43 PM   #3
toxicbomber
Banned

Send a message via AIM to toxicbomber Send a message via MSN to toxicbomber Send a message via Skype™ to toxicbomber
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwhaler View Post
Yeah, but that doesn't explain why I have negative black and about 10 stuck pixels (3 of em grouped right next to eachother)
You have a malfunctioned display. No matter what factory, 1 out of 25 electronics sold will have some sort of problem with them.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 06:44 PM   #4
aethelbert
macrumors 601

Just because it doesn't cost as much as the iPhone DOES NOT mean that it should have problems. If Apple is selling a problematic product, it is their responsibility to fix it, no matter how much the consumer paid for it.
aethelbert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 06:46 PM   #5
toxicbomber
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by akonradi View Post
Just because it doesn't cost as much as the iPhone DOES NOT mean that it should have problems. If Apple is selling a problematic product, it is their responsibility to fix it, no matter how much the consumer paid for it.
And besides it really isn't a problem. The iPods will stay like this as far as I can tell. You don't have a premium product therefore you won't get the best features.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 06:47 PM   #6
aethelbert
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicbomber View Post
And besides it really isn't a problem. The iPods will stay like this as far as I can tell. You don't have a premium product therefore you won't get the best features.
Having a properly working screen is not a premium feature. It's what you pay for...
Old Sep 17, 2007, 06:48 PM   #7
TonyHoyle
macrumors 6502a

WTF? The most expensive ipod available isn't a premium product?

I'm sorry.. it's more expensive than every other mp3 player out there. It'd better damned well be premium. That's the whole point of buying apple - that you get something that works well out of the box.

Those with the fault have unacceptable displays and are perfectly entitled to be annoyed.. and are also entitled to get it fixed.
TonyHoyle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 06:50 PM   #8
toxicbomber
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by akonradi View Post
Having a properly working screen is not a premium feature. It's what you pay for...
Look, it won't be a top notch display. I'm sorry. It won't be. You want a higher quality and higher contrast ratio on your iPod touch? Get the iPhone. Simple.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 06:51 PM   #9
caMi
macrumors regular

How is it not premium?
Old Sep 17, 2007, 06:52 PM   #10
aethelbert
macrumors 601

Quote:
Look, it won't be a top notch display. I'm sorry. It won't be. You want a higher quality and higher contrast ratio on your iPod touch? Get the iPhone.
Why bring the iPhone into this? They are two completely different products. This is like saying that Apple shouldn't put decent hardware in the iMacs because a Mac Pro costs more.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 06:57 PM   #11
toxicbomber
Banned

Ok let me rephrase this into a little nicer form of speaking. I apologize for my rude like behavior. The iPod Touches out today are most likely going to have the "negative" effect. A few aren't that are much like the iPhone's display. The negative effect is due to the lower contrast ratio on the iPod Touch than the iPhone's ratio. In some odd way, this IS an error in the manufacture's part and not Apple's. This is not so much as a problem as a little mistake. It should be fixed shortly, but if you don't like your iPod Touch, simply take it back... of course it depends on the condition of the screen. Oh and by the way, they use different screens for every so iPods. That's the exact reason why you are experiencing this for now.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 07:01 PM   #12
TonyHoyle
macrumors 6502a

Lower contrast ratio would result in poorer blacks/whites not what people have been seeing - have you looked at the youtube videos, posted pictures etc? Their itouch screens look absolutely unwatchable. It's *not* simply a contrast issue.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 07:04 PM   #13
toxicbomber
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyHoyle View Post
Lower contrast ratio would result in poorer blacks/whites not what people have been seeing - have you looked at the youtube videos, posted pictures etc? Their itouch screens look absolutely unwatchable. It's *not* simply a contrast issue.
I've got this from a guy who works at regent street's store.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 07:04 PM   #14
thegrue
macrumors member

Quote:
Look, it won't be a top notch display. I'm sorry. It won't be. You want a higher quality and higher contrast ratio on your iPod touch? Get the iPhone. Simple.

Yeah, screw the SIX POINT THREE BILLION people who don't live in the only country where the iPhone is for sale. For that matter, screw anyone who doesn't want to use a third-world data network like EDGE!
thegrue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 07:07 PM   #15
gloss
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to gloss
Quote:
********. It's called a manufacturing defect, nothing more.

The issues being encountered have nothing to do with the screen's contrast ratio, and your argument holds no weight whatsoever. Care to explain why the lowly $150 Nano has a better screen than the touch, then?

Quote:
Yes, and a guy at the 5th Avenue Store tried to pass off the horrible viewing angles as a 'privacy filter'.

Just because some yahoo at an Apple Store pulls something out of his ass doesn't make it true.

Freakin' trolls.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 07:08 PM   #16
TonyHoyle
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
So you've believe a salesman opposed to, say, an electrical engineer who works on LCD technology? (posted several times before): http://discussions.apple.com/thread....34707&tstart=0
Old Sep 17, 2007, 07:10 PM   #17
TonyHoyle
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloss View Post
Yes, and a guy at the 5th Avenue Store tried to pass off the horrible viewing angles as a 'privacy filter'.
Seriously? I missed that one.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 07:31 PM   #18
Sean Dempsey
macrumors 68000

Quote:
First off, you guys who have the iPod Touch aren't getting a premium product therefore you won't get all the great features the iPhone has to offer. Ok now let me explain to you why the screen has a "negative" effect. Remember that the iPods aren't made by Apple but rather in countries in China around that area. Some displays are better than others and some are worse than others. This ALL has to do due to the fact that these iPods are using a lower contrast ratio. You just might be lucky and get a good screen with a higher ratio. Don't blame Apple for this. You are getting a low ranged product so you get what you pay for.
I paid 399 for my touch.

how much is an iphone again?
Old Sep 17, 2007, 07:32 PM   #19
Rapmastac1
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Rapmastac1 Send a message via MSN to Rapmastac1
"Privacy Filter" Believe it or not they have a screen protector available for the PSP that purposely darkens the screen so others can't see what you are watching/playing... WTF! Ok, so why do I have to view it from outside that "privacy filter" in order to see my blacks correctly?
Rapmastac1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 08:09 PM   #20
virus1
macrumors 65816

(See bold sections below)
Quote:
What kind of kool aide are you on, brother?
Old Sep 22, 2007, 03:16 PM   #21
mcdj
macrumors 604

Quote:
You want a higher quality and higher contrast ratio on your iPod touch? Get the iPhone. Simple.
I just spent some time playing with the Touch in the store. The first thing I noticed is how vibrant and contrasty the screen looked. (The sample I played with did not display the negative effect.) Then I pulled out my iPhone to compare it to and maxed the brightness on both. By comparison, my iPhone, which I've always considered to have a decent screen, was considerably more washed out. About a full stop overexposed in photo terms. The Touch's colors were a lot more punchy and saturated, the blacks blacker.

Of course this meant there was some missing shadow detail in dark details, but I'd hardly say it was inferior to the iPhone. As a photographer who shot Fuji Velvia exclusively for years, I found the Touch screen much nicer to look at.
Old Sep 22, 2007, 04:04 PM   #22
iShak
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Ok let me rephrase this into a little nicer form of speaking. I apologize for my rude like behavior. The iPod Touches out today are most likely going to have the "negative" effect. A few aren't that are much like the iPhone's display. The negative effect is due to the lower contrast ratio on the iPod Touch than the iPhone's ratio. In some odd way, this IS an error in the manufacture's part and not Apple's. This is not so much as a problem as a little mistake. It should be fixed shortly, but if you don't like your iPod Touch, simply take it back... of course it depends on the condition of the screen. Oh and by the way, they use different screens for every so iPods. That's the exact reason why you are experiencing this for now.
I am sorry, but you are way off on this one, the main cause of the problem is not contrast ratio.

Also it is ridiculous to say that you are paying 200 so you deserve a bad display ... companies have quality controls even over freebies, so please, if you are to defend Apple over this fiasco be a little more sensible.
Old Sep 22, 2007, 04:18 PM   #23
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dempsey View Post
I paid 399 for my touch.

how much is an iphone again?
oh i paid 430 for mine! last i checked iphones cost the same

good point
dukebound85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2007, 07:23 PM   #24
toxicbomber
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iShak View Post
I am sorry, but you are way off on this one, the main cause of the problem is not contrast ratio.

Also it is ridiculous to say that you are paying 200 so you deserve a bad display ... companies have quality controls even over freebies, so please, if you are to defend Apple over this fiasco be a little more sensible.
....it IS the lower contrast ratio.
Old Sep 22, 2007, 07:32 PM   #25
Cloudane
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Cloudane
Good god, just as I thought the rabid fanboys on this site couldn't get any worse, they do. I mean, I'm a fan of Apple's products myself, but come on, this is getting ridiculous...

Yes! Let's all return our iPod Touches and go buy iPhones! In your dreams pal
Cloudane is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch