Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 17, 2007, 06:38 PM   #1
toxicbomber
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Send a message via AIM to toxicbomber Send a message via MSN to toxicbomber Send a message via Skype™ to toxicbomber
Red face iPod Touch Screen Problem

First off, you guys who have the iPod Touch aren't getting a premium product therefore you won't get all the great features the iPhone has to offer. Ok now let me explain to you why the screen has a "negative" effect. Remember that the iPods aren't made by Apple but rather in countries in China around that area. Some displays are better than others and some are worse than others. This ALL has to do due to the fact that these iPods are using a lower contrast ratio. You just might be lucky and get a good screen with a higher ratio. Don't blame Apple for this. You are getting a low ranged product so you get what you pay for.


~toxicbomber
toxicbomber is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 06:40 PM   #2
Zwhaler
macrumors Demi-God
 
Zwhaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Yeah, but that doesn't explain why I have negative black and about 10 stuck pixels (3 of em grouped right next to eachother)
__________________
2x2.93 24GB 25TB 2x1TB 840EVO 2x UAD OCTO, Apollo, 4-710d
Check Out My YouTube Channel~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zwhaler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 06:43 PM   #3
toxicbomber
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Send a message via AIM to toxicbomber Send a message via MSN to toxicbomber Send a message via Skype™ to toxicbomber
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwhaler View Post
Yeah, but that doesn't explain why I have negative black and about 10 stuck pixels (3 of em grouped right next to eachother)
You have a malfunctioned display. No matter what factory, 1 out of 25 electronics sold will have some sort of problem with them.
toxicbomber is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 06:44 PM   #4
aethelbert
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NRW, Germany
Just because it doesn't cost as much as the iPhone DOES NOT mean that it should have problems. If Apple is selling a problematic product, it is their responsibility to fix it, no matter how much the consumer paid for it.
aethelbert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 06:46 PM   #5
toxicbomber
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Send a message via AIM to toxicbomber Send a message via MSN to toxicbomber Send a message via Skype™ to toxicbomber
Quote:
Originally Posted by akonradi View Post
Just because it doesn't cost as much as the iPhone DOES NOT mean that it should have problems. If Apple is selling a problematic product, it is their responsibility to fix it, no matter how much the consumer paid for it.
And besides it really isn't a problem. The iPods will stay like this as far as I can tell. You don't have a premium product therefore you won't get the best features.
toxicbomber is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 06:47 PM   #6
aethelbert
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NRW, Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicbomber View Post
And besides it really isn't a problem. The iPods will stay like this as far as I can tell. You don't have a premium product therefore you won't get the best features.
Having a properly working screen is not a premium feature. It's what you pay for...
aethelbert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 06:48 PM   #7
TonyHoyle
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Manchester, UK
WTF? The most expensive ipod available isn't a premium product?

I'm sorry.. it's more expensive than every other mp3 player out there. It'd better damned well be premium. That's the whole point of buying apple - that you get something that works well out of the box.

Those with the fault have unacceptable displays and are perfectly entitled to be annoyed.. and are also entitled to get it fixed.
TonyHoyle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 06:50 PM   #8
toxicbomber
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Send a message via AIM to toxicbomber Send a message via MSN to toxicbomber Send a message via Skype™ to toxicbomber
Quote:
Originally Posted by akonradi View Post
Having a properly working screen is not a premium feature. It's what you pay for...
Look, it won't be a top notch display. I'm sorry. It won't be. You want a higher quality and higher contrast ratio on your iPod touch? Get the iPhone. Simple.
toxicbomber is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 06:51 PM   #9
caMi
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
How is it not premium?
__________________
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A100a Safari/419.3)
caMi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 06:52 PM   #10
aethelbert
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NRW, Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicbomber View Post
Look, it won't be a top notch display. I'm sorry. It won't be. You want a higher quality and higher contrast ratio on your iPod touch? Get the iPhone.
Why bring the iPhone into this? They are two completely different products. This is like saying that Apple shouldn't put decent hardware in the iMacs because a Mac Pro costs more.
aethelbert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 06:57 PM   #11
toxicbomber
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Send a message via AIM to toxicbomber Send a message via MSN to toxicbomber Send a message via Skype™ to toxicbomber
Ok let me rephrase this into a little nicer form of speaking. I apologize for my rude like behavior. The iPod Touches out today are most likely going to have the "negative" effect. A few aren't that are much like the iPhone's display. The negative effect is due to the lower contrast ratio on the iPod Touch than the iPhone's ratio. In some odd way, this IS an error in the manufacture's part and not Apple's. This is not so much as a problem as a little mistake. It should be fixed shortly, but if you don't like your iPod Touch, simply take it back... of course it depends on the condition of the screen. Oh and by the way, they use different screens for every so iPods. That's the exact reason why you are experiencing this for now.
toxicbomber is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 07:01 PM   #12
TonyHoyle
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Manchester, UK
Lower contrast ratio would result in poorer blacks/whites not what people have been seeing - have you looked at the youtube videos, posted pictures etc? Their itouch screens look absolutely unwatchable. It's *not* simply a contrast issue.
TonyHoyle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 07:04 PM   #13
toxicbomber
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Send a message via AIM to toxicbomber Send a message via MSN to toxicbomber Send a message via Skype™ to toxicbomber
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyHoyle View Post
Lower contrast ratio would result in poorer blacks/whites not what people have been seeing - have you looked at the youtube videos, posted pictures etc? Their itouch screens look absolutely unwatchable. It's *not* simply a contrast issue.
I've got this from a guy who works at regent street's store.
toxicbomber is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 07:04 PM   #14
thegrue
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicbomber View Post
Look, it won't be a top notch display. I'm sorry. It won't be. You want a higher quality and higher contrast ratio on your iPod touch? Get the iPhone. Simple.

Yeah, screw the SIX POINT THREE BILLION people who don't live in the only country where the iPhone is for sale. For that matter, screw anyone who doesn't want to use a third-world data network like EDGE!
thegrue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 07:07 PM   #15
gloss
macrumors 601
 
gloss's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: around/about
Send a message via AIM to gloss
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicbomber View Post
Look, it won't be a top notch display. I'm sorry. It won't be. You want a higher quality and higher contrast ratio on your iPod touch? Get the iPhone. Simple.
********. It's called a manufacturing defect, nothing more.

The issues being encountered have nothing to do with the screen's contrast ratio, and your argument holds no weight whatsoever. Care to explain why the lowly $150 Nano has a better screen than the touch, then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicbomber View Post
I've got this from a guy who works at regent street's store.
Yes, and a guy at the 5th Avenue Store tried to pass off the horrible viewing angles as a 'privacy filter'.

Just because some yahoo at an Apple Store pulls something out of his ass doesn't make it true.

Freakin' trolls.
__________________
when you say it's all over / hell yeah anyway
gloss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 07:08 PM   #16
TonyHoyle
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Manchester, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicbomber View Post
I've got this from a guy who works at regent street's store.
So you've believe a salesman opposed to, say, an electrical engineer who works on LCD technology? (posted several times before): http://discussions.apple.com/thread....34707&tstart=0
TonyHoyle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 07:10 PM   #17
TonyHoyle
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Manchester, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloss View Post
Yes, and a guy at the 5th Avenue Store tried to pass off the horrible viewing angles as a 'privacy filter'.
Seriously? I missed that one.
TonyHoyle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 07:31 PM   #18
Sean Dempsey
macrumors 68000
 
Sean Dempsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicbomber View Post
First off, you guys who have the iPod Touch aren't getting a premium product therefore you won't get all the great features the iPhone has to offer. Ok now let me explain to you why the screen has a "negative" effect. Remember that the iPods aren't made by Apple but rather in countries in China around that area. Some displays are better than others and some are worse than others. This ALL has to do due to the fact that these iPods are using a lower contrast ratio. You just might be lucky and get a good screen with a higher ratio. Don't blame Apple for this. You are getting a low ranged product so you get what you pay for.
I paid 399 for my touch.

how much is an iphone again?
__________________
[Removed for not complying with forum signature rules]
Sean Dempsey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 07:32 PM   #19
Rapmastac1
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: In the Depths of the SLC!
Send a message via AIM to Rapmastac1 Send a message via MSN to Rapmastac1
"Privacy Filter" Believe it or not they have a screen protector available for the PSP that purposely darkens the screen so others can't see what you are watching/playing... WTF! Ok, so why do I have to view it from outside that "privacy filter" in order to see my blacks correctly?
Rapmastac1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 08:09 PM   #20
virus1
macrumors 65816
 
virus1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: LOST
(See bold sections below)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicbomber View Post
First off, you guys who have the iPod Touch aren't getting a premium product therefore you won't get all the great features the iPhone has to offer. Ok now let me explain to you why the screen has a "negative" effect. Remember that the iPods aren't made by Apple but rather in countries in China around that area. Some displays are better than others and some are worse than others. This ALL has to do due to the fact that these iPods are using a lower contrast ratio. You just might be lucky and get a good screen with a higher ratio. Don't blame Apple for this. You are getting a low ranged product so you get what you pay for.
What kind of kool aide are you on, brother?
__________________
No, really. I completely understand you. (Pay no attention to my 'tar)
virus1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2007, 03:16 PM   #21
mcdj
macrumors 604
 
mcdj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicbomber View Post
You want a higher quality and higher contrast ratio on your iPod touch? Get the iPhone. Simple.
I just spent some time playing with the Touch in the store. The first thing I noticed is how vibrant and contrasty the screen looked. (The sample I played with did not display the negative effect.) Then I pulled out my iPhone to compare it to and maxed the brightness on both. By comparison, my iPhone, which I've always considered to have a decent screen, was considerably more washed out. About a full stop overexposed in photo terms. The Touch's colors were a lot more punchy and saturated, the blacks blacker.

Of course this meant there was some missing shadow detail in dark details, but I'd hardly say it was inferior to the iPhone. As a photographer who shot Fuji Velvia exclusively for years, I found the Touch screen much nicer to look at.
__________________
Great cage! No bird...
50f/2
mcdj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2007, 04:04 PM   #22
iShak
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicbomber View Post
Ok let me rephrase this into a little nicer form of speaking. I apologize for my rude like behavior. The iPod Touches out today are most likely going to have the "negative" effect. A few aren't that are much like the iPhone's display. The negative effect is due to the lower contrast ratio on the iPod Touch than the iPhone's ratio. In some odd way, this IS an error in the manufacture's part and not Apple's. This is not so much as a problem as a little mistake. It should be fixed shortly, but if you don't like your iPod Touch, simply take it back... of course it depends on the condition of the screen. Oh and by the way, they use different screens for every so iPods. That's the exact reason why you are experiencing this for now.
I am sorry, but you are way off on this one, the main cause of the problem is not contrast ratio.

Also it is ridiculous to say that you are paying 200 so you deserve a bad display ... companies have quality controls even over freebies, so please, if you are to defend Apple over this fiasco be a little more sensible.
__________________
I received 35 hate PM's in 3 days for my anti-iPhone posts.
25-june-2007.
iShak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2007, 04:18 PM   #23
dukebound85
macrumors P6
 
dukebound85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: 5045 feet above sea level
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dempsey View Post
I paid 399 for my touch.

how much is an iphone again?
oh i paid 430 for mine! last i checked iphones cost the same

good point
dukebound85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2007, 07:23 PM   #24
toxicbomber
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Send a message via AIM to toxicbomber Send a message via MSN to toxicbomber Send a message via Skype™ to toxicbomber
Quote:
Originally Posted by iShak View Post
I am sorry, but you are way off on this one, the main cause of the problem is not contrast ratio.

Also it is ridiculous to say that you are paying 200 so you deserve a bad display ... companies have quality controls even over freebies, so please, if you are to defend Apple over this fiasco be a little more sensible.
....it IS the lower contrast ratio.
toxicbomber is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2007, 07:32 PM   #25
Cloudane
macrumors 65816
 
Cloudane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sweet Apple Acres
Send a message via AIM to Cloudane
Good god, just as I thought the rabid fanboys on this site couldn't get any worse, they do. I mean, I'm a fan of Apple's products myself, but come on, this is getting ridiculous...

Yes! Let's all return our iPod Touches and go buy iPhones! In your dreams pal
Cloudane is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ipod touch 4th Gen Screen Problem danielowenuk iPod touch 4 Oct 5, 2013 03:05 AM
Touch Screen Not Working in my Ipod Touch sanjananb1 iPod touch 3 Dec 27, 2012 10:12 AM
iPhone 5 touch-screen problem! Mathies92 iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 1 Oct 14, 2012 08:43 PM
ipod touch 2g touch screen unresponsive arara iPod touch 1 Sep 26, 2012 09:40 PM
External Touch Screen Display for iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad. NbinHD iPhone Accessories 2 Jul 2, 2012 12:14 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:19 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC