Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

polihaupt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
This is my first ever hard drive player, so I have no idea what to expect

I got my 80GB Ipod Classic yesterday and I have noticed that there is little sound every time the picture changes - either one by one or slideshow

Is it normal, or is there something wrong with my Ipod?

polihaupt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
do you have clicker sounds enabled, so it clicks as you go up and down menus.

Otherwise, I dont think this is normal.

Hmm... no

It sounds like a "computer thinking" - a tiny zooooimg and then 2 tiny clicks, clicks. I had not noticed last night, but this morning my husband asked what the sound was. I need to put it close to my face to hear it.

notsofatjames

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
Wales, UK
it must be the harddrive. If it bothers you, take to an apple store to check if its out of the ordinary. I would expect a whirring, clicky sort of sound from a HDD.

polihaupt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
I would expect a whirring, clicky sort of sound from a HDD.

Maybe that's what it is then... Whirring is more what I was trying to describe

It won't bother me if I know that it's how hard drive players do. It would make sense since it has to access the drive and stuff...

I only had flash players before, and the only one that made noise was my Creative Zen Micro - right before it died! So I guess I am a bit traumatized... :rolleyes:

notsofatjames

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
Wales, UK
does anyone you know have a harddisk iPod you can compare with. I would expect it to make a bit more of a noise when changing pictures, since it has to load the picture around about that time. I could always hear my iPod vibrating when i put it on my hard desk. Then if you stick your ear on the desk, you can hear the disk spinning quite clearly!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.