Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Asnyers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Well, I currently have an iPod mini (6GB), which suited me well over the past few years. But now I think it's time to move on and buy something new. I would really love to watch some of my movies on the go and all the new iPods are suited for that. Price isn't such a big issue but I was thinking of buying an 8 GBTouch or 80 GB classic. What I love about the touch is safari (but will I really need that?) and the large screen, and just the looks of the whole thing and the youtube function also looks cool. But I'm worried the 8GB will not be enough to store all my music and videos on. I've always loved the normal iPods too, now named classic and like I said, I could store a lot of music on there. The 6GB mini served me right (enough capacity till now), but then again I could never put movies on there. I have a lot of avi-files which I'm going to convert so...
What do you guy's suggest I'd buy?

Cheers,

Asnyers

Mac In School

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
I'd definitely choose the Touch if capacity wasn't an issue for me. As it is, I'm running out of space on my 60 GB iPod, so the Touch isn't even a consideration for me.

telf22

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2007
i have 2 16gb touches and will be returning them at the end of the week. if i were you, i would wait a few months if u want to get a touch, but i feel the touch is just an after thought for apple, there are alot of things that should be on the device that arent, im going 2 get th 8g nano as its awesome. although i like he touch, im gonna wait til generation 2. so get the classic.

ivi7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
The ipod touch is pretty much the latest "ipod" around whereas the classic goes with the name. IF you need a lot of memory then the classic should be your choice. But if you want to try out the multi touch feature and use cover flow to perfection and pretty much get many other features with your ipod you could go with the touch.

logicalnoise

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2007
Everything I've read is that the ipod touch is overall good but does too many thinsg and and not enough of them are done well.

pros:
Wifi with internet browsing and wireless itunes music store.
Multi touch display
large widescreen display

cons:
Smaller capacity
Screen is not equal to the iphones as far as quality.
browsing is crippled compared to the iphone(no java script or flash) though it could conceivably be fixed with an update.
can only send video through output as 480i/576i(classics can output 480p/576p)

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Movies don't take up that much space. A 2hr movie weighs in at around 500MB. How many movies are you going to watch in a day?

Here is how to determine which iPod to get:

If you want a digital jukebox that holds all of your music but can also play movies then go w/ the Classic. Watching movies will be a compromise.

If you want a portable movie player that also plays music plus has a web browser then go w/ the Touch. The compromise is you'll have to be selective about which music and movies you have on your player at any given time.

lordjonny

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2006
Everything I've read is that the ipod touch is overall good but does too many thinsg and and not enough of them are done well.

pros:
Wifi with internet browsing and wireless itunes music store.
Multi touch display
large widescreen display

cons:
Smaller capacity
Screen is not equal to the iphones as far as quality.
browsing is crippled compared to the iphone(no java script or flash) though it could conceivably be fixed with an update.
can only send video through output as 480i/576i(classics can output 480p/576p)

everything youve sed is nearly true but think carefully about OP's problems,
:apple:smaller capacity is not an issue from 6 to 8 he will be fine, you dont listen to 1000 tracks a day and putting vids on is easy and also put what your gonna watch on, not everything. ive always been confused with the fascination of all your music everywhere, i have 24GB of music that i dnt need in my pocket i havent even listened to all of it and a film is like 600-800mb at a very gd ipod resolution so no worrys there either
:apple:quote from cnet.com: "Just like Safari on the iPhone, Flash-based Web objects are still disabled, including embedded video players and music players.", so no flash on either not sure about java but useless anyway on a phone this size as youtube is included
:apple:tbh video is an overly unused issue, when archos's came out decently i bought one and used it as a gimic, but thats it, its quite unpractical to have video as when you want to listen to music or entertain yourself you cant sit down and watch a film, so useful in certain occasions such as travelling but not always.
:apple:480i and 480p what does it matter its video not scientific evidence the difference is so small and besides video on your ipod normally isnt gd quality when at big sizes cos a 3.5" dont need to have gd quality.

enough of my blabbering it prob doesnt make sense anyway oh welll gd nite:):confused::eek::mad::rolleyes::cool::p;):D:eek::(:apple:

grockk

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2006
once you give up trying to store your entire library the choice is obvious. I used to think i needed everything on my 5G but once I was over 60GB i took some time to make some smart playlists.

Later bought the classic and was unimpressed. Now there has been a firmware updae so maybe its much better but it felt like just more of the same.

I traded for a touch and wouldn't turn back. Sure I got some screen issues but at least I can watch my movies on a respectable size and mobile safari is pretty cool. Actually posting from my iPod right now.
Touch is the future.

ShanePod

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2007
Canada
You should consider how amazing the wifi feature really is... think about this. If you can watch youtube videos on it, wouldn't it make sense to just upload your videos on to your own private youtube account. You could upload sooo many videos on it and not even have to use any of your 8 or 16 Gig space. As for music, I just plan to keep my iPod nano strictly for that and use the Touch purely for Video, Photos, and Safari.

Although... storing all your videos on youtube has a downside. You need to use a wireless serves when its available.

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
I plan on getting an iPhone when they come to Oz sometime in the next ten years :rolleyes: so an iPod Touch would be over kill. But considering I have over 30GB of music neither would do me any good because I like to keep all my music with me.

Asnyers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Ok, thanks for your suggestions everybody.
I think I'll order the touch when it is released here in europe (september 28).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.