Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ktbubster

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2007
US
Ok, so a friend of mine is looking into getting a midrange white macbook. They are in the same classes as I am (we are both industrial design majors - aka product design) and we are forced to use windows frequently for 3d modeling programs, like studiomax 3d and more specifically Solidworks.

I have a macbook pro and run vmware fusions with solidworks and all those and they run just fine, faster then some of the school computers even. However, because of the graphics card in the macbook and such, I was curious how that specific macbook would handle running xp via bootcamp or fusion and using solidworks etc on that?

Anyone have experience?

Also, note that screen size isn't an issue, they already have an external for at home. Getting the macbook is more for portability/durability and form factor... as well as price.

macftwin

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2007
I had the same question! but searched the forums first. :) Anyone have any info on the OPs question?

ktbubster

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2007
US
sniffle? anyone??? sniffle sniffle. Looks like someone else needs help too :( any help at all would be appreciated before he goes off and makes the leap.

match311

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2007
Not sure if this helps but...

I am an Aerospace engineer and use parallels 3 on my macbook pro (2.2 ghz w/ 2gb ram and 128mb gpu) for labview and pro engineering (3d modeler). And I have to say that runs okay. The 3d part is fine, i run into lagg when i am drafting in the 2d mode. I have not tried it in boot camp because i have had my issues with boot camp and do not use it anymore. With that said, I am not sure if I would recommend 3d modeling on a macbook but check out the specifications for the software. Sometimes the modeling doesn't require a "beefy" system.

stx66

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2004
Solidworks 2007 is sluggish on a Macbook with bootcamp XP.
It is OK on my MacBook pro (X1600) using bootcamp. I have not tried it with Parallels or VMware but I assume it would be worse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.