Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Sep 18, 2007, 02:34 PM   #1
ktbubster
macrumors 6502a

Macbook and Solidworks

Ok, so a friend of mine is looking into getting a midrange white macbook. They are in the same classes as I am (we are both industrial design majors - aka product design) and we are forced to use windows frequently for 3d modeling programs, like studiomax 3d and more specifically Solidworks.

I have a macbook pro and run vmware fusions with solidworks and all those and they run just fine, faster then some of the school computers even. However, because of the graphics card in the macbook and such, I was curious how that specific macbook would handle running xp via bootcamp or fusion and using solidworks etc on that?

Anyone have experience?

Also, note that screen size isn't an issue, they already have an external for at home. Getting the macbook is more for portability/durability and form factor... as well as price.
ktbubster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2007, 04:04 PM   #2
macftwin
macrumors newbie

I had the same question! but searched the forums first. Anyone have any info on the OPs question?
macftwin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2007, 05:58 PM   #3
ktbubster
macrumors 6502a

sniffle? anyone??? sniffle sniffle. Looks like someone else needs help too any help at all would be appreciated before he goes off and makes the leap.
ktbubster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2007, 02:07 AM   #4
match311
macrumors member

Not sure if this helps but...

I am an Aerospace engineer and use parallels 3 on my macbook pro (2.2 ghz w/ 2gb ram and 128mb gpu) for labview and pro engineering (3d modeler). And I have to say that runs okay. The 3d part is fine, i run into lagg when i am drafting in the 2d mode. I have not tried it in boot camp because i have had my issues with boot camp and do not use it anymore. With that said, I am not sure if I would recommend 3d modeling on a macbook but check out the specifications for the software. Sometimes the modeling doesn't require a "beefy" system.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 10:40 AM   #5
stx66
macrumors newbie

Solidworks 2007 is sluggish on a Macbook with bootcamp XP.
It is OK on my MacBook pro (X1600) using bootcamp. I have not tried it with Parallels or VMware but I assume it would be worse.
stx66 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice