Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scoot87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
This last saturday I bought a Touch from BB. It had the negative black screen problem. I recently dropped my bag which had the touch inside. There was a scratch on the top of the touch. Here is a link to the pic that shows the scratch.
http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com...ts.com/image/27195/2005646230291378199_th.jpg

Will i be able to have this exchanged or get my money refunded because of the negative black problem even though there is a scratch?

Thanks for the help

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Worst comes to worse, when Apple figures things out you should be able to take it to an Apple store for replacement due to the bad screen (assuming that's what Apple ends up doing.)

That's if Best Buy won't take it back. Give it try-

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
I have the tiniest nick on mine but I doubt they will say anything about it when I return it.

Ordered one from Target for $365 including shipping/tax after Fat Cash and Target discount coupons.

It won't ship for about 2-4 weeks, hopefully by then Apple is shipping working units.

gergc

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2007
Just box it up and just don't say anything. Most likely you'll get someone who doesn't care.

If anything, you can call apple support and ask for a repair in which case they'll send you a box to send it to them in! (hopefully)

Affe

macrumors member
May 12, 2007
They won't say anything.

I once returned a nano with a big dent from a fall :( They accepted it without even asking me about it.

jxdragon

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2007
From what I've been reading its a hardware problem, but since the issue seems to be over contrast, I'm hoping that a firmware update will include a manual contrast which will make the screen appear normal even if the default looks like crap.

I hope that's the case bc I don't feel like exchanging mine and reupload everything...

iDAG

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2007
Athens, Ohio
Just remember that Best Buy is not the Apple Store so you won't get the same level of service that you would get from Apple. BTW your link doesn't work.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Just remember that Best Buy is not the Apple Store so you won't get the same level of service that you would get from Apple. BTW your link doesn't work.
lol, how so? BB takes it back and refunds you 100%, apple store charges you 10% restocking fee, which is better?

parrotheadmjb

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2007
or just run the update that will fix it. Why does everone want this soft/firmware problem to be a hardware issue? Flames begin..

well its definetely hardware seeing as everyone is running the same firmware and some are messed up while others arnt

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
I should add a couple of things. In the old days companies would take such an item and be forced to re-sell it as an "open box".

These days many large retailers have arrangements with their biggest vendors to send the items back to them OR to have the item destroyed at a facility that handles such things.

Nonetheless if the item is beat up or missing accessories the retailer is within their rights to charge a restocking fee.

Why Apple charges a restocking fee is beyond me. They already have the shortest return policy, so I don't quite get why they insist on dinging people with a restock on top of it.

caMi

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2007
I have the tiniest nick on mine but I doubt they will say anything about it when I return it.

Ordered one from Target for $365 including shipping/tax after Fat Cash and Target discount coupons.

It won't ship for about 2-4 weeks, hopefully by then Apple is shipping working units.

What is Fat Cash?

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
It doesn't look too bad. If you had the original iPod touch plastic film that it was wrapped in on the iPod when you return it, I doubt they would even see the mark.

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2007
i was just wonderin wat is the screen issue or negative black effect?? like can u explain wat it is?? and how u can tell if u got this problem
ty

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
China
sure hope they decide to do something soon

Worst comes to worse, when Apple figures things out you should be able to take it to an Apple store for replacement due to the bad screen (assuming that's what Apple ends up doing.)

That's if Best Buy won't take it back. Give it try-

It would be nice to know what there policy is going to be since I cant wait just a whole lot longer

Arisian

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
What is Fat Cash?

http://www.fatwallet.com

Create a fatwallet account (it's free and no spam) then click the store link for target to go to their store, and use the coupons floating about the fatwallet.com forums for the 10% off coupon.

You will immediately get the 10% off and then you will get the 4.4% fat cash available for payment via Paypal or check 90 days after your transaction completes.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks for the Target info, that's a good deal!

Only problem I can see is that they charge a restock for returning portable electronics. But I'm assuming this screen issue will be taken care of anyway, o no worries.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
Thanks for the Target info, that's a good deal!

Only problem I can see is that they charge a restock for returning portable electronics. But I'm assuming this screen issue will be taken care of anyway, o no worries.

Actually I called my local Super Target as well as one of their online CSRs and both assured me no restocking fee.

Seeing as I got their names I have a feeling Target won't harass me about a restocking fee if it came to that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.