Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bosstucker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
Hey guys, I was wondering what with all the rumors going around and my growing desire to buy a macbook pro, is now the best time to buy one, or is something really great about to come out and am I going to regret buying it the moment I do?

ivi7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
Hey guys, I was wondering what with all the rumors going around and my growing desire to buy a macbook pro, is now the best time to buy one, or is something really great about to come out and am I going to regret buying it the moment I do?

I don't think there is anything coming up till next year. So this should be a good time.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007

I would buy one now if it's a necessity. If you need it, then you should buy it. If, however, you have a working computer that isn't stopping you from accomplshing anything important, then just wait until the next update. I personally think that the mbps will get an update later this year, at some point before Christmas. Even though a new processor won't be available, a simple speed bump along with an HD upgrade should be expected. Again though, this is just my opinion. I don't have much data to back it up with, just common sense (most computer lines are updated before Christmas).

I don't think there is anything coming up till next year. So this should be a good time.

Well not if we count Leopard:rolleyes:

ivi7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
Well not if we count Leopard:rolleyes:

How could that skip my mind. I've been waiting for Leopard eagerly myself.
Wait till Leopard is out there is no point in paying extra to upgrade. Hopefully you won't have to wait more than a month or so.

rychencop

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2007
Georgia
I don't see Apple releasing a new MBP/MP before spring 08. So if you want one now, buy it. They will not want the release of Leopard to be overshadowed by a new notebook line.

MacFever

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2007
I was reading the news from Intel Developer Forum and they are releasing the penryn 45 nm chips in November.

Could we see Apple annouce the new laptops with Leopard but shipping start in november ?

Damn I wan't a penryn chip with leopard. lol

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
I think there is the possibility of a minor refresh this fall when Leopard ships. The only real possibilities for this are:
better BTO hard drive options,
possible blue-ray BTO (I doubt it though),
better standard hard drive,
maybe bumping up to the 2.6GHz processor in the high 15" and 17",
possible BTO option of a hi-res screen for the 15"

Next year (MWSF or there abouts) I hope for some news with Penryn.

CatharticFlux

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2004
Marietta, GA
I feel a minor refresh coming this year, so if you need a laptop, go ahead and get what's out now. A major refresh won't come out for a little while.

Then again, you could wait for Leopard and save $129.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.