Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

betaclone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
i have a 15" macbook pro that's just about to have its first birthday. over the past month or two i have noticed the battery life rapidly dwindling. when it was new it could go well over 2 hours on stand alone battery power, that slowly dipped down to between an hour to an hour and a half.

but recently (in the past week or so) it drains almost immediately. i will charge it fully and as soon as i disconnect the power it says i have abour 15 minutes of battery power, which usually ends up being about 5-10. when i plug the power back in it says i'm at 70-80% charge. i have heard of some other people with a similar problem, although not this severe.

anyone have any info? i'm really hoping this is a problem that at worst would be fixed by replacing the battery.

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
You have to recalibrate the battery or return it.

If you don't calibrate then OSX might think the battery is empty even when it is full.

To recalibrate charge it fully then use the laptop until it goes to sleep mode by itself. Leave it sleep over night (or longer) making sure the white sleep light has stopped pulsing and then charge it fully again. That should set the calibration and hopefully fix the problem you are having.

betaclone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
thanks for the info. i'll try recalibrating it tonight.

i took a look at the battery replacement link, it doesn't seem like mine fits any of the criteria (the closest would be #3 on the list about poor battery life, but in system profiler it says i have a battery cycle of over 300 so i don't think i woudl qualify) but if the recalibration doesn't work that will be my next stop.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
There seems to be some confusion here over what battery calibration actually means. The only thing calibration does is ensure the time remaining estimate (in your menu bar) is accurate. If your actual runtime is merely 10 or 15 minutes, calibrating the battery is not going to fix the problem. Your battery has likely died prematurely and you should contact Apple and talk about replacement.

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
There seems to be some confusion here over what battery calibration actually means. The only thing calibration does is ensure the time remaining estimate (in your menu bar) is accurate. If your actual runtime is merely 10 or 15 minutes, calibrating the battery is not going to fix the problem. Your battery has likely died prematurely and you should contact Apple and talk about replacement.

Yes and if OSX thinks your time has run out it will prematurely sleep the machine.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
Yes and if OSX thinks your time has run out it will prematurely sleep the machine.

No it won't. The meter will reflect 0% until the battery drops below its threshold voltage, at which point the machine will sleep. Sleep and charge states are determined by battery voltage, not the time remaining estimate.

jonnylink

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2007
Question, Apple says that one symptom of a bad battery is

Battery exhibits low charge capacity/runtime when using a fully charged battery with a battery cycle count (as shown in System Profiler) of less than 300.

Anyone have an idea of what constitutes a "low charge capacity/runtime?" I just calibrated my battery and it is at 61% health after 133 cycles. If gives me anywhere from 1:45 minutes to 2:15 minutes of run time.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    91.2 KB · Views: 172

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I would take it in. I think the rule of thumb is something like 80% after one year or 300 charges or something like that.

Mine went down to 71% after 15 cycles (which in reality was more like about 5 or 6 actual cycles). I did not hang around any further and got it replaced.

bplein

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
Austin, TX USA
My daughter, after 16 months, started losing battery capacity in her MacBook like crazy. Recalibrating didn't resolve it.

We brought it to the local apple store. She had 330 cycles in 16 months (she uses it at her middle school, so basically 5-7 days a week she cycled the battery completely)

The genius at the Apple Store said that after a year or 300 cycles, approximately, they can consider the low battery capacity "normal" and it would not be covered. Since we were just over a year and 300 cycles, she had the discretion to either cover us under warranty or not. She covered us! So we got a new battery under the Apple Care warranty.

So, keep an eye on your max capacity, use Coconut Battery if it makes it easier. As you get close to 1 year old or 300 cycles (or well below), if your battery is losing its max capacity, check with Apple to see if you can get it replaced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.