Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Sep 19, 2007, 10:47 AM   #1
KMITB
macrumors newbie

iPod classic screensaver?!?!?!

I'm sure all of you with the classic have noticed the screensaver after a minute of not touching the pod while playing a song....is there a reason why we need this? And why can't that be shut off? One of the reasons to have the pod is to "see" your music. I like to know what is playing as I have a ton of stuff and will occasionally forget the title and/or artist. The next firmware update has to address this. There should be an on/off menu option for this feature. I'm not diggin' it at all. All the info the screensaver has on it is there when I play a song anyway. Is this supposed to lengthen the battery life and / or save the screen?

Thoughts anyone?

KMITB
KMITB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2007, 10:55 AM   #2
logicalnoise
macrumors member

meh I just lightly tap the the clickwheel and it switches right back. i usually have to pick it up to look at it anyways.
logicalnoise is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2007, 06:35 PM   #3
NATO
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMITB View Post
Thoughts anyone?
I agree 100%. I wish there was a toggle in the settings menu to enable/disable this 'feature'. Turn the backlight off to save power, yes... but changing the screen to something different entirely, forcing a button press or click wheel scroll to return to the original screen is just unnecessary. Great if you like it, pain in the behind if you don't...

I would like to see this updated with new firmware, it's not hard to give people the choice.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 06:45 PM   #4
ezekielrage_99
macrumors 68040

I wouldn't mind to see the toggle option in the set up also I hope they change Coverflow as well. I kind of don't mind the new screensaver when I'm running playlists.

But Apple really needs to arrange by Album not Artist in Coverflow, IMO I think Coverflow is laggy because it is organising by Artist when it should be by Album. I have more Artists than Albums so Coverflow is bloated more when it would be using way less resourcesif it was arrange by the Album.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 09:04 PM   #5
SheepNutz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezekielrage_99 View Post
I wouldn't mind to see the toggle option in the set up also I hope they change Coverflow as well. I kind of don't mind the new screensaver when I'm running playlists.

But Apple really needs to arrange by Album not Artist in Coverflow, IMO I think Coverflow is laggy because it is organising by Artist when it should be by Album. I have more Artists than Albums so Coverflow is bloated more when it would be using way less resourcesif it was arrange by the Album.
And I'm the exact opposite of you. I have more albums than artists, and I like coverflow just how it is.
SheepNutz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2007, 09:48 PM   #6
reubs
macrumors 68000

Quote:

Could you explain to my how you have more artists than albums? If you had one artist, you would have one album, right? I can understand having more albums than artists b/c there would be multiple albums for each artist. I'm not trying to be difficult; I just want some clarification.

Thanks!
reubs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2007, 10:28 PM   #7
Shorties
macrumors 6502a

I really like it, I just wish it would pop up before the light dims, I like to look at the time which is impossible to do when the light is dimmed.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 11:25 PM   #8
Zwhaler
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubs View Post
Could you explain to my how you have more artists than albums? If you had one artist, you would have one album, right? I can understand having more albums than artists b/c there would be multiple albums for each artist. I'm not trying to be difficult; I just want some clarification.

Thanks!
I'm guessing that he has lots of albums that have a different artist for each track (like my James Bond CD, it has 19 different artists, but its only one album)
Old Sep 19, 2007, 11:43 PM   #9
reubs
macrumors 68000

Ah, I see. That makes perfect sense. I'm not a soundtrack guy, so that wouldn't have really occurred to me. If that's the case, I got nothing.
reubs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2007, 12:13 PM   #10
hyddan
macrumors member

Quote:
Hell no! People like me wouldn't be able to find squat. I've not even used coverflow in iTunes cause I find it terrible to look things up in, but was surprised it worked really well on the nano. Just because it looks up artist first, THEN album.
hyddan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2007, 12:17 PM   #11
hyddan
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwhaler View Post
I'm guessing that he has lots of albums that have a different artist for each track (like my James Bond CD, it has 19 different artists, but its only one album)
You can group them under a single name in the options if that is the case.

Current Coverflow works for me atleast, I love it.
hyddan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2007, 02:47 PM   #12
Tom B.
macrumors 65816

I like the way the screen saver works, and Apple won't give you an option to turn it off because it increases the battery life so much.

The current cover flow annoys me, and I will not use it until it works properly. It annoys me that every album is shown about 5 times.

Apart from that, my most wanted option for the nano and classic is a way to exclude certain albums from floating past the main screen.

Last edited by Tom B.; Sep 20, 2007 at 03:15 PM.
Tom B. is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod