Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Obviously I decided to buy my 466mhz Lime iBook at the wrong time. Soon after the new iBooks came out and I was left in the dust. My old little guy is becoming slow, I am thinking about a PowerBook, with Christmas and my Birthday within 4 months of each other (that's right my birthday is in September;)) I think I will be able to save up some money. I really don't want to buy an iBook, they seem to get outdated quickly. I use Photoshop, Flash, and Dreamweaver everyday. I do enjoy games also. Well what my question is which PowerBook will be best for me? My friend has the 12'' model but on my iBook's 12 inch screen I am always moving around windows, hiding toolbars, and moving things around just to get my work done. I know the resolution is different but, I'm still worried. I don't want to make teh wrong choice. Maybe I will go for the 15'', heck the 17'' isn't that much bigger than my Clamshell...:p Well I guess the 15 inch will be okay, when they update it I meen.

Any of you guys have any advice? I am not buying it soon, I don't have the $, but your advice will be great! :D

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
As you say, a 12" screen is just to small to really be able to get anything done, so that's the 12" out the window. The 17" I think is far to big, so that's that out the window. Now, the 15", the perfect laptop, great design, perfect size, perfect size screen, power, and all the better when the Al version is released (get a move on dammit Apple!!!). If it were my money I'd save my cash and go for an all new 15" AlBook :)

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
yeah I was thinking about the 15 inch I don't think expose makes up for screen size...

thanks for the infro guys, when I get one i'll let you know :)

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
Originally posted by LimeiBook86
yeah I was thinking about the 15 inch I don't think expose makes up for screen size...

thanks for the infro guys, when I get one i'll let you know :)

not exactly but kind of, its much easier to manage many windows with a certain program.... if i have 6 pictures open in PSe2 and i click my top right corner ( i set it to expand all windows of the current program it shows like min windows of each of the programs and i can click it and work on it without resizing or moving any of the windows

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
IMHO the 15" is the perfect size, but I still use a second monitor when I'm working on Macromedia stuff. So many pallets. Photoshop's not too bad on one screen, but even keynote is better on 2 monitors.

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Remember that even though both your current iBook and a 12" Powerbook have a 12" screen, its a higher resolution (1024x768) vs. your iBook (800x600).

Oh wait, I just read the post again, you already mentioned this....ignore me, bah

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
i know what expose does...but iw ould perfer a bigger screen, I guess the 15 is fine for me.

Thanks again! :D

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I definitely cannot wait to get my hands on a 15", it seems to be the perfect fit. The 12" seems a bit cramped and the 17" is just insane. Good luck with your new PowerBook, when you get it. I know I'll be happy to upgrade after 4 years on my 400 MHz PowerBook G3.

vollspacken

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2002
Boogie-Down Berlintown
before I got my tiBook I used a G3 with a 19" CRT and after that a tangerine iMac... the powerbook's screen size is just perfect for me... the screen estate is big enough and though I've thought about getting myself a nice 20" Apple TFT as a second screen I know that I wouldn't use it much... 15" works fine for me

vSpacken

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.