Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stang68

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 29, 2007
USA
He guys and gals,

I ordered a full body Invisible shield for my iPod touch and I was just wondering if anyone else who ordered one has gotten it yet? I have my touch now, but that chrome back is already a bit scratched...and I have had it for only 12 hours!!

Also, do you think that the invisible shield is worth it? Will t make the touch look ugly by adding a layer of plastic over it?

Thanks guys!

Tumeg101

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Orange County, California
I have the full body invisible shield for my iPod video, and I love it... it doesn't make my iPod look cheesy\ugly at all... you can't even notice it,
You made a good choice with getting it... good luck applying it

vanzskater272

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2006
Yeah before I sold my video I had one on there also and it was great. Just dont Be afraid to soak the sticker with that spray. Im not sure how it would work with a ipod touch though because the plastic layer could get annoying. I know I wished I had left out the little part for the clickwheel cause it drove me crazy. But other than that they are amazing. iPods should come with those allready on them. seriously

Tumeg101

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
My only complaint, is they do get a little sticky, like when I am using the click wheel, it will sometimes be very difficult to scroll, but other times it's not... and also it will rarely collect some lint from my pocket (near the edge, there is some lint under the sticker (barely)

I went to a little invisible shield stand, that is right in front of an apple store near my house, and for $15 the guy there put it on, and now if I have any problems with it, I can go back, and for free have it re-done, so I kinda don't care if it starts to peel or w\e..

It would also be nice if it was smudge/fingerprint resistant :p

vanzskater272

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2006
Yeah lint also collects sometimes in the corner. Pretty cool about that stand. Anyways having that material on the whole front of the ipod touch could get really annoying cause thats the only way to operate it and having that material could make using the touch a real pain.

Tumeg101 what do you mean smudge resistant. My invisible shield never got smudged or fingerprints.

Tumeg101

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Yeah lint also collects sometimes in the corner. Pretty cool about that stand. Anyways having that material on the whole front of the ipod touch could get really annoying cause thats the only way to operate it and having that material could make using the touch a real pain.

Tumeg101 what do you mean smudge resistant. My invisible shield never got smudged or fingerprints.

You serious? omg mine gets sooo many it's not even funny, every time I look at it, there are new smudges... lol it's weird... But the one on my mom's nano doesn't smudge (I have tried smudging it, on the screen and didn't see any)
Hmmm... :p I am gonna have mine replaced anyway... there is a white thing, stuck to it, right in the middle of the screen... and it wont come off >.<
Maybe the new one will be non\smudge able :p

Stang68

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 29, 2007
USA
i see what you guys mean when you say it could be annoying on the touch's screen. Maybe I should just put it on the back, so that the chrome doesnt get too scratched. The glass of the touch is pretty scratch-proof, right?

Tumeg101

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
i see what you guys mean when you say it could be annoying on the touch's screen. Maybe I should just put it on the back, so that the chrome doesnt get too scratched. The glass of the touch is pretty scratch-proof, right?

Personally, I would put it all over... I don't think it is annoying enough to not use, and risk the screen getting scratched...
I would still use it on the screen, because when you put it in your pocket... there is a very good chance the screen will scratch, and if you try cleaning it, possibly more scratches (unless you use the appropriate cloth)

vanzskater272

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2006

From what ive heard its really scratch proof and some kid had one in my class he was just carrying it in his pocket and no scratches. I even pressed my pencil across the surface while he was not looking and it still wouldnt get scratched. Its still hard to belive that it wont get scratched though.

California King

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2007
He guys and gals,

I ordered a full body Invisible shield for my iPod touch and I was just wondering if anyone else who ordered one has gotten it yet? I have my touch now, but that chrome back is already a bit scratched...and I have had it for only 12 hours!!

Also, do you think that the invisible shield is worth it? Will t make the touch look ugly by adding a layer of plastic over it?

Thanks guys!
I don't like the Invisible shield. I have it for my iPod video and it just makes the iPod look dirty all the time. The scuff marks on the invisible shield are very visible. I'm probably getting an iPod touch and I definitely won't apply an invisible shield on it.

vanzskater272

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2006
I don't like the Invisible shield. I have it for my iPod video and it just makes the iPod look dirty all the time. The scuff marks on the invisible shield are very visible. I'm probably getting an iPod touch and I definitely won't apply an invisible shield on it.

Are you sure you were not using an imitation invisible shield cause mine has never gotten scuffed. besides you can return them if that happend cause they have a warranty.

Tumeg101

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
don't be too confident about the scratch-resistant ness(lol).... because you can still puncture the "case" and scratch the iPod, or just press against the iPod hard enough, to scratch it through the shield, without ripping\puncturing it

California King

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2007
Are you sure you were not using an imitation invisible shield cause mine has never gotten scuffed. besides you can return them if that happend cause they have a warranty.
Yup, I got the one off their website. I'm very careful with my stuff and it still got a couple minor scuff marks. Do you think they're give me a new one (invisible shield)? I'm about to sell it so I can put the money towards getting the iPod touch. Thanks.

Stang68

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 29, 2007
USA
well, what do you guys think of putting it just on the back? That shouldnt look too bad right? I just dont want to put it on the front and have it look like a layer of plastic and hinder the performance of the touch-screen interface.

vanzskater272

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2006
well, what do you guys think of putting it just on the back? That shouldnt look too bad right? I just dont want to put it on the front and have it look like a layer of plastic and hinder the performance of the touch-screen interface.

That would be a good idea. cause if you put it on the front that could really messup the nice feel of the touch screen.

And California King you should be able to get a replacement for free since they do say that It wont scratch or peel and such.

California King

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2007
I'd say that's a much better idea. I don't think they sell just the back. I think it's either both or the front. Also, the screen on the iPod touch seems to be pretty scratch resistant. Sure a scratch is still possible, but nonetheless its impressive.

Here's a YouTube vid I found where he does a couple tests.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=kzbxpSwDetk

Puckboy

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
Check out http://www.bestskinsever.com.

I have applied these skins to my G5 iPod... love it. Let's me see the beauty of the iPod design. Only thing is, it won't protect a fall, just scratches. And yes, it does work. Little nerve wracking applying it, cuz you need moisture, but not much.

On my G5, I applied the "full body" skin, but did not apply to the wheel part. It's awesome. I can send pics if anyone wants. I've applied to my G5, my wife's G5 (better job second time around), and I'm going to apply the extra G5 skin I have to the back only - should fit. The new classic front will prob stay naked.

BTW, the material was developed by 3M... BestSkinsEver is same as Invisible Shield, but WAY cheaper. I see that they don't have skins for the iPhone/touch/classic yet, but it's prob just a matter of time.

onionperson654

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2007
I think that the invisible shield is a great idea for covering up the back side of the ipod touch. You'll never have to worry about scratching it up again.

For the front side, I'd leave it off. Scratch tests on this (and the similar glass iphone, forums for which would have people with much more experience) show that it is very strong, and unless you're carrying diamonds in your pocket (in which case, buying a replacement ipod shouldn't be a problem) you'll be fine.

Of course, absorbing shock from falls (although flash memory will be more robust, I want it to last many years) is a strong reason for a case. Personally, I'm going to go with a tight fitting small case to protect it and think about getting the invisible shield so I can take it out and enjoy it in its tiny size. For now, I'll just cover the back with some generic screen protectors or painters tape (yeah, blue but apparently effective).

So:

For front: nothing

For Back: case and/or invisible shield

Stang68

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 29, 2007
USA
I think that the invisible shield is a great idea for covering up the back side of the ipod touch. You'll never have to worry about scratching it up again.

For the front side, I'd leave it off. Scratch tests on this (and the similar glass iphone, forums for which would have people with much more experience) show that it is very strong, and unless you're carrying diamonds in your pocket (in which case, buying a replacement ipod shouldn't be a problem) you'll be fine.

Of course, absorbing shock from falls (although flash memory will be more robust, I want it to last many years) is a strong reason for a case. Personally, I'm going to go with a tight fitting small case to protect it and think about getting the invisible shield so I can take it out and enjoy it in its tiny size. For now, I'll just cover the back with some generic screen protectors or painters tape (yeah, blue but apparently effective).

So:

For front: nothing

For Back: case and/or invisible shield

yea, i think i am going to do exactly what you are doing. I need a case with a belt clip for when I work out, so i wanted the "Elan Convertible" from Griffin. I emailed them last night to find out when it would be available and they said mid-October!:( I need something now!

thedudeAbides

macrumors member
May 3, 2007
heat issue

Check out http://www.bestskinsever.com.

I have applied these skins to my G5 iPod... love it. Let's me see the beauty of the iPod design. Only thing is, it won't protect a fall, just scratches. And yes, it does work. Little nerve wracking applying it, cuz you need moisture, but not much.

On my G5, I applied the "full body" skin, but did not apply to the wheel part. It's awesome. I can send pics if anyone wants. I've applied to my G5, my wife's G5 (better job second time around), and I'm going to apply the extra G5 skin I have to the back only - should fit. The new classic front will prob stay naked.

BTW, the material was developed by 3M... BestSkinsEver is same as Invisible Shield, but WAY cheaper. I see that they don't have skins for the iPhone/touch/classic yet, but it's prob just a matter of time.

i thought apple had a lot of heat issues with the G5's and decided to go with intel...i can't imagine how they got one into an ipod.

thirdeyeopen666

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2007
Yup, I got the one off their website. I'm very careful with my stuff and it still got a couple minor scuff marks. Do you think they're give me a new one (invisible shield)? I'm about to sell it so I can put the money towards getting the iPod touch. Thanks.

Guys... The invisible shield does get scuffed. However, just wipe it with a microfiber cloth and its good as new.

tennez

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2007
Hey guys...I didnt want to start a new tread for this.
Have you noticed if the invisible shield makes the screen to lose sensitivity...I put it today and not it feels that I have to press harder to make things work.

Thanks!

Cache

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2007
Well, I do notice a very VERY slight decrease in sensitivity. So it's either because of the shield or the increase of installed apps. :p

Been using it a few weeks now together with an iStyles case and haven't had any problems whatsoever. Even the application went very smooth, alltogether I spend about 30 minutes applying it. First I did the front and let it sit for a few hours. The next day I did the back, which went surprisingly smoother than the front.

Anyway, I don't mind it at all. Very happy I put it on there, since I don't need to wipe away fingerprints every 5 minutes. Just for that I wouldn't hesitate to apply it. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.