Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Sep 21, 2007, 03:14 PM   #1
circusbass
macrumors regular

Sorting Albums on the iPod

Is there anyway to sort the albums chronologically on the ipod? It is annoying to me that it does it in alphabetical order. I'd love to be able to have the albums pop up in release order so you can see the growth of the music.

Instead of:
Artists-Albums-ABC Order......

Artists-Album-Chronologically order
circusbass is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2007, 03:19 PM   #2
Virgil-TB2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by circusbass View Post
Is there anyway to sort the albums chronologically on the ipod? It is annoying to me that it does it in alphabetical order. I'd love to be able to have the albums pop up in release order so you can see the growth of the music.

Instead of:
Artists-Albums-ABC Order......

Artists-Album-Chronologically order
Sadly, AFAIK there is no way to "sort" on an iPod. You can only sort the individual folders in iTunes and then re-sync. This turns what should be a one-click operation into an afternoon of fun.

Or is that agony?

For most things to do with the order of the tunes on the iPod, the only real answer is to go into iTunes and "game" the database by putting in trick titles, clearing checkboxes etc. until it sorts the way you like. Then re-sync of course.
Virgil-TB2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2007, 03:59 PM   #3
mzd
macrumors 6502a

i know you can do it in a playlist in iTunes. - not 100% sure it would work on sync (but it should - other changes do). but easy to test.

make a smart playlist with all your songs in it (ex. bitrate > 0)
first click on the artist column heading to sort by artist. then click on the album column heading. click again and you will see it change to album by artist. click once more and it will go to album by year.
this seems to work in iTunes as least. sort order is now:
artist > album by year > track number

then sync your iPod and see if it works!

www.theclothsea.com
mzd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2007, 06:58 PM   #4
Tom B.
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzd View Post
make a smart playlist with all your songs in it (ex. bitrate > 0)
first click on the artist column heading to sort by artist. then click on the album column heading. click again and you will see it change to album by artist. click once more and it will go to album by year.
this seems to work in iTunes as least. sort order is now:
artist > album by year > track number
The problem with that is that you would have to scroll through it by song, rather than by album, so it wouldn't work.
Tom B. is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod