Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

circusbass

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 25, 2004
Is there anyway to sort the albums chronologically on the ipod? It is annoying to me that it does it in alphabetical order. I'd love to be able to have the albums pop up in release order so you can see the growth of the music.

Instead of:
Artists-Albums-ABC Order......

Artists-Album-Chronologically order

Virgil-TB2

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
Is there anyway to sort the albums chronologically on the ipod? It is annoying to me that it does it in alphabetical order. I'd love to be able to have the albums pop up in release order so you can see the growth of the music.

Instead of:
Artists-Albums-ABC Order......

Artists-Album-Chronologically order
Sadly, AFAIK there is no way to "sort" on an iPod. You can only sort the individual folders in iTunes and then re-sync. This turns what should be a one-click operation into an afternoon of fun.

Or is that agony? :confused:

For most things to do with the order of the tunes on the iPod, the only real answer is to go into iTunes and "game" the database by putting in trick titles, clearing checkboxes etc. until it sorts the way you like. Then re-sync of course.

mzd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
i know you can do it in a playlist in iTunes. - not 100% sure it would work on sync (but it should - other changes do). but easy to test.

make a smart playlist with all your songs in it (ex. bitrate > 0)
first click on the artist column heading to sort by artist. then click on the album column heading. click again and you will see it change to album by artist. click once more and it will go to album by year.
this seems to work in iTunes as least. sort order is now:
artist > album by year > track number

then sync your iPod and see if it works!

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
make a smart playlist with all your songs in it (ex. bitrate > 0)
first click on the artist column heading to sort by artist. then click on the album column heading. click again and you will see it change to album by artist. click once more and it will go to album by year.
this seems to work in iTunes as least. sort order is now:
artist > album by year > track number

The problem with that is that you would have to scroll through it by song, rather than by album, so it wouldn't work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.