Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Sep 22, 2007, 12:19 AM   #1
ikonq
macrumors member

So, What Video settings do you use?

I'm soon to do a massive batch conversion of my DVDs to iPod/iTunes format for easy syncing on and off the 5G iPod, and a soon-to-be-purchased 16GB Touch.
I'm trying to ascertain the best resolution and bit-rate for optimum viewing on the Touch, without going crazy on space.

(Mac Pro Q2.66 + Raid 0 (1.5TB) helps this massive encoding process btw)

Apple base their size calculations on "Video capacity based on H.264 1.5-Mbps video at 640-by-480-pixel resolution combined with 128-Kbps audio."

I'm thinking that I could probably live on about 850Mbps Video, 160Kbps Audio With the resolution set to as close as possible to the native res of the iPod Touch/iPhone Screen.

Thoughts? Suggestions? What settings do you use and how does that go for you?
ikonq is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2007, 08:00 AM   #2
swwack91
macrumors 6502a

well then you'll laugh at me.

i do 160kpbs video with 96 kbps audio and 320x240 resolution (or its widescreen equivalent).

it's completely watchable on the computer and on the iPod, albeit not perfect but perfectly fine.

that way i was able to get each 45 minute TV show into 75MB and store every episode of my 10 seasons-running favorite show on my iPod!
swwack91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2007, 08:30 AM   #3
ikonq
macrumors member

160kbps!

I might try that just to see if I can tolerate it, I've never actually tried going that low. :-)

(i'll probably end up doing a big batch of different settings on the same episode, and seeing which is best)
ikonq is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2007, 08:52 AM   #4
parrotheadmjb
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonq View Post
160kbps!

I might try that just to see if I can tolerate it, I've never actually tried going that low. :-)

(i'll probably end up doing a big batch of different settings on the same episode, and seeing which is best)
thats worst than youtube videos
parrotheadmjb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2007, 09:01 AM   #5
swwack91
macrumors 6502a

well i've already seen all the episodes on TV and have them on DVD for when i actually want to watch them on TV...

and keep in mind i actually sat and watched some full episodes fullscreen on my MBP completely stretched out and it didn't really bother me.

obviously i realize its not good qual... but it sure beats the hell out of only being able to fit a few episodes in iTunes amazingly space wasting 250MB an episode.
swwack91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2007, 08:44 PM   #6
ezekielant
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by swwack91 View Post
but it sure beats the hell out of only being able to fit a few episodes in iTunes amazingly space wasting 250MB an episode.
Space wasting? I have 80GB to fill fella
ezekielant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2007, 09:57 PM   #7
wizzracer
macrumors 6502

Send a message via MSN to wizzracer
I use the max setting for both Audio/Video. The reason is I use my iPod on a 40in HDTV as well. To me space is of no concern but quality and sound.

I can always buy a bigger one, just like HD's. But the time it takes to convert them takes time. Something I do not want do twice!
wizzracer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2007, 11:08 PM   #8
vanzskater272
macrumors regular

I use 400kbps and 112 for audio. But thats my settings for cartoons. Then for other video ill use 500-700kbps depending on what im encoding. I might just bump up the audio to 160 but im not really sure what difference it makes. Is it just louder or better quality?
vanzskater272 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2007, 11:50 PM   #9
guifa
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by swwack91 View Post
well then you'll laugh at me.

i do 160kpbs video with 96 kbps audio and 320x240 resolution (or its widescreen equivalent).

it's completely watchable on the computer and on the iPod, albeit not perfect but perfectly fine.

that way i was able to get each 45 minute TV show into 75MB and store every episode of my 10 seasons-running favorite show on my iPod!
Yeah, I do 320xproportional (most of my stuff is widescreen). I use 256kbps video with 64kbps mono audio (tv shows are all talk so stereo's not as important, and so being only mono, 64kbps gets good quality) and at 15 fps if the program I'm converting with supports. The iPod nano doesn't actually seem to display a full 30fps, so there's no reason to waist bandwidth for those frames. I keep higher resolution versions on my computer. I wish there were a good way to keep two different versions, but only have one show up in iTunes/FrontRow, etc. That way I could watch the highresolution ones that are sitting on my external harddrive when I'm at the computer/TV, and the low resolution ones would get transfered to the iPod. But in any case, unless you use your iPod to connect to a TV of sorts, there's no point in encoding the video for any higher resolution.
guifa is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod