Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cb31

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2005
My 10 month old Black 8gig nano has developed a fault where if you brush against the headphone jack it crackles and goes only on one stereo channel. I presume the socket is a bit faulty.

I was going to take it to my local apple store to get it fixed, although I imagine they would just replace it as it would cost more to fix. Is this true first of all?

If they do replace it would they replace it with a similar one or one of the new stubby nano's, which I would obviously prefer? I can afford to wait a couple of months as I can live with the fault if it meant getting a new gen one. Thanks

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
Have you tested with a few pairs of headphones, or just one?
It could just be a problem with the headphones.
But if the iPod is faulty, they should replace or repair it for free since you are within the 1 year warranty. Not sure if they'll give you a new nano though.

cb31

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2005
That's what I thought, so maybe if I delay my return by a couple of months they will have run out of 2nd gen nanos. Looks like a moot point now as I have just tried it again and I can't get it to fail so maybe it's fixed itself.

I will probably buy a new ipod anyway in a couple of weeks as I am flying so the vat free prices at Dixons look good. Just got to decide whether nano or touch, if they are available by then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.