Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

biblicalfury

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2007
I just picked up Bluetooth headset for my iPhone and I'm wondering how using it will effect the iPhone's battery life. I will probably only use it when driving, so I leave Bluetooth turned off on the phone during this time? Or will just turning the head set off be plenty?

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
how bluetooth affects my battery life

i find the battery life of my phone to be severely affected with bluetooth turned on. when i'm not using it for an extended period of time, i'll make sure to turn either the phone or bluetooth off. it's surprising how much of a drain it is. without bluetooth, i can get two days of moderate use easily. with bluetooth on, it turns into a day, maybe a day and a half. i haven't tried turning just the headset off, so i can't say whether that's enough. who knows? your mileage may vary.

sanford

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2003
Dallas, USA
I just picked up Bluetooth headset for my iPhone and I'm wondering how using it will effect the iPhone's battery life. I will probably only use it when driving, so I leave Bluetooth turned off on the phone during this time? Or will just turning the head set off be plenty?

I think BT only seriously drains battery when it's actually doing something. But being connected to a headset may involve some sort of chatty keep-alive traffic, so that might count as actually doing something. For example, the PlayStation 3 has a BT media remote that's on and connected all the time the PS3 is on, runs on a couple disposable batteries, but the batteries last a long time, as it only uses power when you hit a button to send a signal to the PS3. Same with the BT controllers. They're rechargeable, but they don't turn off automatically after a period of no use. Still, let them just sit there turned on without actively using them and the battery doesn't ever noticeably drain.

I don't talk on the phone enough to use my BT headset on it, so I keep BT off. Otherwise, I've found the only thing that really causes much battery drain on an iPhone is actually *talking* on it -- like any cell phone. I'll listen to music for hours while working with airplane mode switched on, so nobody can call me and interrupt me, and a the battery gauge won't even budge. Leaving both cell on in standby and WiFI on, the battery barely drains, too.

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
I think BT only seriously drains battery when it's actually doing something.

I agree with this. I don't talk a lot and leave on BT all the time and I am fine by the end of the day. (I charge each night.)

Each person needs to do their own test and decided what is "good" for them.

oxeneers

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2007
South San Francisco, CA
anyone know what else you can use Bluetooth for besides headset use? I want to sync my iPhone to my computer wirelessly using Bluetooth ... Is there a way? If not, what the hell else can I use Bluetooth for besides headset use??

ivi7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
anyone know what else you can use Bluetooth for besides headset use? I want to sync my iPhone to my computer wirelessly using Bluetooth ... Is there a way? If not, what the hell else can I use Bluetooth for besides headset use??

On the iPhone the Bluetooth can be used only for the headset.

Sobe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2007
Wash DC suburbs

I do not notice a significant drain when I use my Jawbone to the point where I am made to think, "wow this Bluetooth is killing my battery."

I don't think it's a problem at all.

ejm2323

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2010

wrong. i use apple's wireless keyboard using bluetooth with my iphone and ipad. and i'd imagine apples magic trackpad would work as well.

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010

I use bluetooth on my phone with games. My wife and I frequently play games that use the Bluetooth.

I have an app called Battery Doctor. Right now it's showing my Battery at 81% and indicates I can get 13hr 30 minutes of Bluetooth audio - if this is correct, it's not much of a battery draw, at all.

whoops - sorry - I didn't realize this was such an old freaking thread :)

Infraggable Kru

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2010
Very old, but I really can't fault members too much for taking the time to use the search function

BTW you can't use a trackpad on a Non-JB iphone ( you need to JB and install the BT stack + a $5 mouse app)

mpalmero

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2011
extend battery life

Your Bluetooth connection is going to drain your battery even while you're not using it. If it's just for a short drive, I would leave it turned on, but if it's for anything longer, you will want it off (along with your GPS and wifi). Now since you're in your car, though, you may have a car charger - then you can just leave everything on : ) I thought this article had some good tips.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Resurrection so I don't get a done of oh no another thread!! ;) Anyway, I just paired my iphone 4S with my car. In your experience is it worth to keep the bluetooth always on or does it destroy your battery life?

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
I haven't turned it off since I got my 4s. I use in car BT for music, BT headset and heart rate monitor (BT4) at the gym. I get 1 day use minimum which is fine since I charge at night normally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.