Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

View Poll Results: Make your iPod Brushed Metal?
Yes 19 10.16%
No 86 45.99%
Maybe in the future 82 43.85%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 19, 2010, 09:10 PM   #51
wootwootman
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass93 View Post
No, but it gave VERY fine lines. If you don't want lines, try using Colgate toothpaste. I've heard that that works wonders. And if you don't want the chrome, and just brushed aluminum, buy some of the "whitening" Colgate that has heavier abrasive chemicals in it, and that should give you the line free, brushed aluminum look. Just apply it evenly with you finger. Let dry. And gently remove with a damp cloth. People use that on jewelry all the time.
thanks for the heads up!
wootwootman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2010, 09:23 PM   #52
bass93
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootwootman View Post
thanks for the heads up!
No problem. Post pics of what you do, if/when you do!
Old Sep 19, 2010, 09:28 PM   #53
wootwootman
macrumors member

im not sure about the toothpaste thing though. it seems some people say it still leaves scratches if the toothpaste is too abrasive. i may give it a shot after if i get a major scratch.

also, do you think its possible to go right through the whole backplate? i know that sounds ridiculous, but its just so thin...........
Old Sep 19, 2010, 09:40 PM   #54
bass93
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootwootman View Post
im not sure about the toothpaste thing though. it seems some people say it still leaves scratches if the toothpaste is too abrasive. i may give it a shot after if i get a major scratch.

also, do you think its possible to go right through the whole backplate? i know that sounds ridiculous, but its just so thin...........
Ahhhh.

Heck no man. Toothepaste isn't that abrasive. LOL! It just takes the finish and actually fills in some of the cracks. i've also seen people use banana, but I wouldn't do that cuz it'd probably smell. lol. But yeah, it mostly just fills in the very fine 'cracks' which appear as scratches.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 09:47 PM   #55
wootwootman
macrumors member

i decided that if i end up with a defective (as some would say) touch, ill call my local apple store describe the symptom, and ask if they would replace it . if they will, then i'll test out the toothpaste method on the soon-to-be-returned touch. actually, ill also ask them if this would cause them not to accept it.

if someone out there is going to return their touch reads this, can you please give this a shot?
Old Sep 20, 2010, 05:34 PM   #56
avit
macrumors regular

im trying the toothpaste thing now.

Last edited by avit; Sep 20, 2010 at 05:51 PM.
avit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 05:41 PM   #57
Snuggs
macrumors newbie

You might want to look into some sort of brass polish to smooth out the back. I tried some on a few plastic screens on some older mp3 players with some nice dings and it helped somewhat. I don't know how it would work on the back, but its worth a shot. I take no responsibility for any damage done to said devices.
Snuggs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 07:00 PM   #58
wootwootman
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avit View Post
on a 4g? you're pretty damn brave

please keep us posted
Old Sep 20, 2010, 10:30 PM   #59
ct95
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by avit View Post
Toothpaste seems kind of messy. I was idly wondering if one could polish out the scratches using polishing compound but worried about it getting in the seams and so forth. Now I hear people trying toothpaste. Seems rather risky.
ct95 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2010, 04:13 PM   #60
avit
macrumors regular

I was actually trying it on an old iPod 5.5G, but it worked out to be not much of a difference. The sponge thing, though. That is cool. It worked on the 5.5G, and my friend's iPod touch 2G, giving it a cool glassy look. Recommend.
avit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2010, 11:50 AM   #61
fosking
macrumors member

Never heard of this before so decided to try it out on my old 4th Gen classic. The back was unbelievably scratched and in a bad state. I used the girlfriends old nail file. Still have to complete the sides but so far so good!
Photo taken with my iPod Touch 4g.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0027.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	207.3 KB
ID:	253217
fosking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2010, 06:31 PM   #62
Captainidontno
macrumors newbie

seems like it might damage the camera if your not careful
looks cool though
Captainidontno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2010, 08:39 PM   #63
SlamJam12
macrumors regular

Brush after scratch?

This is an interesting thing to do if a person doesn't want to think about getting scratches on the iPod. I think it would be a great idea if the device was already scratched. I have never done it but I wonder if someone brushed it after there was scratches already. Does the brush overshadow the previous scratches?
SlamJam12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2010, 08:46 PM   #64
Dhelsdon
macrumors 65816

I've had my 120GB classic in a silicone case since I took it out of the box, so it's still got the mirror effect, but I might try this out.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 05:48 PM   #65
DustinZ35
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellitman View Post
I love this place but some of you ought to get a life. This is the most ridiculous poll I have ever seen.
Sellitman, it has nothing to do with "getting a life". When people pay as much ad $400 for these things, it is natural to want to keep it scratch-free. If you bought a new car and just driving it down the road and air scratched the clear coat, would it piss you off? And I know a car is much more expensive but that's beside the point.
DustinZ35 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2012, 07:31 PM   #66
yateseyd1991
macrumors regular

Anyone tried this with an iPad 3 or iPhone 4S?
yateseyd1991 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2012, 08:29 PM   #67
faroZ06
Banned

If you plan to sell it later, this isn't a good idea. And I always sell my stuff later, so I wouldn't do this.
faroZ06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2012, 08:30 PM   #68
A Hebrew
macrumors 6502a

Just did this to my 2nd gen iPod Touch. It actually looks much better than that reflective stuff that always becomes a mess to look at after a bit of use. The only bad part is I sort of went off to the side at the bottom with each stroke.
A Hebrew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2012, 09:09 PM   #69
Inopia-Vi
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinZ35 View Post
Sellitman, it has nothing to do with "getting a life". When people pay as much ad $400 for these things, it is natural to want to keep it scratch-free. If you bought a new car and just driving it down the road and air scratched the clear coat, would it piss you off? And I know a car is much more expensive but that's beside the point.
Nice necro for a 4 year thread
Old Sep 3, 2012, 10:08 PM   #70
stiligFox
macrumors 6502a

Haha as soon as I saw this thread I grabbed my old iPod classic 4th gen, removed all of the internals, and used a fine sandpaper on it. It looks snazzy now! The only thing is that doing this only covers up the old scratches going the direction you are -- and old scratches going the other way still show up.
stiligFox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:04 AM   #71
ivankennedypuda
macrumors newbie

I tried this brushed metal look in the back of my iPod Touch 4G yesterday.... I was very nervous at first thinking that it will ruin my ipod touch... But i was completely wrong... I love my new metal brushed iPod touch even more than its new. I promise! i showed it to all my classmates and they are like. o.O (wow) is that a new ipod touch?) and i was very proud of it. I didnt even bother to put a case at the back now... Because it was very sexy and insensitive now with metal brushed back. I went to the sink (kitchen) , get the scotch brite... Then rub the back of my ipod in one direction and voila!!! It was wow! you dont need anything but a scotch brite. And when you scratch your ipod's camera lens? -just get a pencil eraser and erase it. And it will be good as new! I was very impressed with that trick. I thought my ipod's camera will be doomed forever but with an eraser. It makes my pictures more nicer. hope u like my post.! )

#share ^_^
ivankennedypuda is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch