Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Sep 22, 2007, 10:28 PM   #1
Dino451
macrumors 6502

3G Nano+Universal Dock+TV Out

Does anyone know if the current universal dock on the apple store unlocks the tv out feature the 3G Nanos? Oh and why did they do this?
Dino451 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2007, 11:40 PM   #2
Danksi
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino451 View Post
Does anyone know if the current universal dock on the apple store unlocks the tv out feature the 3G Nanos? Oh and why did they do this?
Do you mean, does the Universal Dock, allow you to connect the new Dock-Connector video/audio cable or just the S-Video connector on the back of the dock?

My understanding is that the headphone video-out connection is a lower quality than the new dock-connector setup. (Not to mention you can't use a $10 camcorder-cable)
Old Sep 22, 2007, 11:45 PM   #3
Football1maniac
macrumors regular

Yes it does, according to Apple's website, the 3G Nano is compatible with the Universal Dock. It also mentions that external video support is for ANY video-capable iPods. Such as iPod w/ video, iPhone, iPod touch, iPod classic, and iPod Nano 3G.
Old Sep 23, 2007, 03:22 AM   #4
Dino451
macrumors 6502

what I don't understand is if it CAN do it through the headphone jack why remove it. If its a DRM issue and they are worried about pirates cant you still just capture it from the dock with the exact same setup? Oh well if it comes down to it I will eventually shell out the money.
Dino451 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2007, 03:49 AM   #5
Shorties
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino451 View Post
what I don't understand is if it CAN do it through the headphone jack why remove it. If its a DRM issue and they are worried about pirates cant you still just capture it from the dock with the exact same setup? Oh well if it comes down to it I will eventually shell out the money.
Well it is extra hardware to do video out of the headphone port. They must of decided not to include it this time.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod