Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Sep 23, 2007, 03:57 PM   #1
dylan6950204
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to dylan6950204
I want the classic!!

i bought my 5g 30 gig ipod from walmart about 4 months ago and i have loved it. I have kept all the original boxes everything never use it out of its hard case. So it has no scratches but now im in a dilemma because i really want the classic so now im wondering if anyone can think of a way that i can get a classic without spending any extra money o and i also have the original receipt but my ipod has no extended warranty. i have not tried just taking it back to wallmart and saying something is wrong with it becuase i cant think of a legit reason that i could get a new one without having to cause any damage to the outer appearance and im also thinking even if they give me a new one they will give me just another 30 gig witch would defeat the purpose.
xbox gamer-tag: buddha belly 00
dylan6950204 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2007, 04:05 PM   #2
Tibwolf
macrumors newbie

An iPod is an iPod.

With the classic, all you have to gain is more battery life.

Other things, like the interface changes, appeal differently to everybody.

I wouldn't think too much about it. Your iPod is only obsolete once you make to out to be. Enjoy what you have
Tibwolf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2007, 04:34 PM   #3
Mr_Brightside_@
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibwolf View Post
Other things, like the interface changes, appeal differently to everybody.
I'm just gonna say right now that I tried out the classic just now at Best Buy and I think the split screen is vastly inferior to the regular screen. Perhaps a software update could add a Settings item to turn it off... until then, it's just a (n ugly, useless,) gimmick in my opinion. As for the battery life, when are you really gonna go the 5 hours or whatever on your 5gen's battery where you can't charge it, with car chargers and all the like, in this day and age? Just charge it when you get there, and anyway it doesn't even seem like you have a legit reason for WANTING one. If you always react the way you do now you're gonna be taking a several hundred dollar loss every 6 months reselling your old, .2GHz or 3hr less electronics in order to buy a new one. Just because there's new iPods out in no way means that they haven't run out of 5gens to hand out to you to replace your 'broken' 5gen right now. I had a 1st gen mini and replaced it 4 times (all after the 2nd gen came out) and never once received a 2nd gen, and I don't think your experience will be any different, even if it is through WalMart (I had AppleCare)- they, too, do not want to take a loss on senseless stuff like this, but if they have to, they'll serve you with whatever is cheapest for them- in this case, another 5gen. For all your troubles, it's really probably not worth the effort. I mean, I broke my mini last year and have been sharing another one since, and I can't even convince myself to get a Nano or Classic simply because of the price and horrible interface changes (anybody have a cheap 3rd gen??). This is just my opinion, sorry if it sounds critical but enjoy this iPod until you legitimately need a new one that you can justify buying.
Sorry if I re-iterated anything from Tibwolf.

Last edited by Mr_Brightside_@; Sep 23, 2007 at 04:35 PM. Reason: typo
Mr_Brightside_@ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2007, 04:38 PM   #4
polihaupt
macrumors newbie

I am loving mine -- and I actually am using all the extra space, so it is perfect for me!!
polihaupt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2007, 04:58 PM   #5
djellison
Banned

My black 80gig classic is my first iPod. I've waited and waited for an iPod with an interface I like, a battery life and storage capacity that I considered sufficient, and a price that I thought justified it. I LOVE the iPod touch - because it's pushed the classic price down to something I consider sensible.

In a few months, there'll be another new iPod. With technology, everything you buy today will be rendered outdated by something new tomorrow. That's the way it is. You can't expect sympathy or a free-ticket-time-machine when something new replaces what you have. It's a pain in the ass sometimes ( I bought a laptop 2 years ago about 10 seconds before a dual-core version of the same machine became available for the same price ) - but that's just the way it is.

Doug
djellison is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2007, 05:35 PM   #6
Bern
macrumors 68000

I bought the 80GB Classic and I really like the new software on it. I think the split screen is actually very cool (can't decide whether to keep the back light on for longer or not just so I can see it for longer) and Coverflow is a nice touch (but sorting per Album in Coverflow would be better). I do think there is a difference in sound quality as I still have my 5G iPod and the albums have been put on them exactly the same way, yet the Classic seems to sound crisper.
Bern is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2007, 05:48 PM   #7
iDAG
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan6950204 View Post
i bought my 5g 30 gig ipod from walmart about 4 months ago and i have loved it. I have kept all the original boxes everything never use it out of its hard case. So it has no scratches but now im in a dilemma because i really want the classic so now im wondering if anyone can think of a way that i can get a classic without spending any extra money o and i also have the original receipt but my ipod has no extended warranty. i have not tried just taking it back to wallmart and saying something is wrong with it becuase i cant think of a legit reason that i could get a new one without having to cause any damage to the outer appearance and im also thinking even if they give me a new one they will give me just another 30 gig witch would defeat the purpose.
Hey another dude named Dylan who wants a new iPod and in great need of a new Mac!
Old Sep 23, 2007, 06:15 PM   #8
Nuc
macrumors 6502a

Walmart takes back just about anything... Could try returning it for a classic. Doubt it will work though.

Nuc
Nuc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2007, 07:29 PM   #9
ds252
macrumors regular

I once returned by 4G b&W ipod to walmart without a recipt and about 4 months after buying for a full refund in cash i was really surprised. I think you should go for it they didn't even look mine over
ds252 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2007, 07:39 PM   #10
lamina
macrumors 68000

Check my review of the classic here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=354378

I have had mine for a couple weeks now, still loving it. I can't believe how bright the screen is.

Try to return it at Wal-Mart. They took back a Compact Flash card of mine without a receipt after a LONG time. I don't even think they still carried it, gave me a brand new one.
lamina is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2007, 09:15 PM   #11
bob5820
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan6950204 View Post
i bought my 5g 30 gig ipod from walmart about 4 months ago and i have loved it.
[soapbox]So what's wrong with it now? Not good enough for you just because something newer came along. Suck it up, the 5G is still a nice machine. Mr. Brightside gave you some good advice. Start saving and enjoy the iPod you already have until you can afford a new one (Maybe a 500gb 7G Classic II?). One thing that you will need to get used to is Apple, as well as some others, will always be releasing new toys that we just got to have. Committing fraud is not the answer. [/soapbox]
bob5820 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2007, 01:59 AM   #12
szandor
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibwolf View Post
With the classic, all you have to gain is more battery life.
and another 50gb of storage. oh and for the same price as the walmart 30gb. if you can exchange it, exchange it. i've had my 80gb classic for a week and all my music/videos play just fine so yeah, i'd rather have an 80gb classic for $249 than a 30gb 5g ipod for $248 or whatever they're at now.
szandor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2007, 02:59 AM   #13
mac 2005
macrumors 6502a

I ordered an iPod Classic yesterday, and I'm looking forward to its arrival. I cashed in my spare change bottle for an Amazon.com credit; always the way to go with impulse buys. Although I didn't have as much money in the bottle as I'd decided I'd have before buying (more pennies than quarters!), I went ahead with the purchase.

What do you all reckon my 2g, 20gb iPod would be worth? I'm going to put it up for sale at work to help pay the cost of the new one. I'm thinking $50 because it works perfectly and the battery lasts 7 hours plus. Sound okay? Too high? Too low?
Old Sep 24, 2007, 03:36 AM   #14
TBi
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by szandor View Post
and another 50gb of storage. oh and for the same price as the walmart 30gb. if you can exchange it, exchange it. i've had my 80gb classic for a week and all my music/videos play just fine so yeah, i'd rather have an 80gb classic for $249 than a 30gb 5g ipod for $248 or whatever they're at now.
He bought it for that price, if he had waited then he could have got the better model. It's his own fault he has the lesser model and he should live with it. No one scammed him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamina View Post
Try to return it at Wal-Mart. They took back a Compact Flash card of mine without a receipt after a LONG time. I don't even think they still carried it, gave me a brand new one.
I don't think WalMart (faceless company that it is) should pay for this guy feeling bad because apple brought out a new iPod.

To the OP: You knew there would be updates* when you bought your iPod. Everyone takes that chance when they buy something. Live with your purchase or sell it off and pay the extra for the new model. Don't return it just because you aren't happy with it now.

* I do make allowances for people who buy within a month of an unexpected new model release, such as one that just happens on a Tuesday without a special event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac 2005 View Post
What do you all reckon my 2g, 20gb iPod would be worth? I'm going to put it up for sale at work to help pay the cost of the new one. I'm thinking $50 because it works perfectly and the battery lasts 7 hours plus. Sound okay? Too high? Too low?
I think that sounds like the perfect price for one. It is a bit low, but that should guarantee a quick sale and it is better to be rid of it and have 50 quid in your pocket than use it as a paperweight.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 03:59 AM   #15
szandor
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBi View Post
He bought it for that price, if he had waited then he could have got the better model. It's his own fault he has the lesser model and he should live with it. No one scammed him.

I don't think WalMart (faceless company that it is) should pay for this guy feeling bad because apple brought out a new iPod.
i'm not implying the OP was scammed or even had an impression that he thought he was scammed. i've received items from walmart and have taken them back for credit no questions asked. this is what i like about walmart. i don't have to explain what my reason is, unless the item is damaged. i think the OP should just take it up there with the receipt and request a credit and turn around and get the ipod he wants. walmart not having to pay for this even though they're a 'faceless' company is not an issue. walmart deals with this quite often and they still turn a profit. their lax return policy is a reason i keep shopping there and the reason i spend several hundred dollars there frequently instead of target or whoever. if i take something back because i change my mind about the color and tell them i want another item and they're willing to exchange/credit it without any problems then so be it. i highly doubt walmart spent $248 for the 30gb ipod. they could sell it off/repackage it as an open item at a discount and break even or make a smaller profit. and they'll still make a profit from this guy using his credit to just turn around and buy another walmart product. people aren't doing this in mass droves, i think walmart will make it this quarter. OP, it doesn't hurt to go to walmart and ask them. the worst they can do is say 'no' depending on who you get.
szandor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2007, 04:41 AM   #16
cwedl
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Brightside_@ View Post
As for the battery life, when are you really gonna go the 5 hours or whatever on your 5gen's battery where you can't charge it, with car chargers and all the like, in this day and age?
If you go Travelling, the better battery life will definitely mean a lot.
cwedl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2007, 10:08 AM   #17
dylan6950204
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to dylan6950204
its not so much about the software in it i just really want the mat finish they-have on the front because i am a freak about scratches on my ipod and now i have this big bulky cover on mine and i never take it off and some how i still have scratches and i have herd that the mat finish prevents alot of those scratches
xbox gamer-tag: buddha belly 00
dylan6950204 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 01:25 AM   #18
sam10685
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern View Post
I bought the 80GB Classic and I really like the new software on it. I think the split screen is actually very cool (can't decide whether to keep the back light on for longer or not just so I can see it for longer) and Coverflow is a nice touch (but sorting per Album in Coverflow would be better). I do think there is a difference in sound quality as I still have my 5G iPod and the albums have been put on them exactly the same way, yet the Classic seems to sound crisper.

Your avatar is driving me nuts.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod