Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I just sent this Enhancement Request to Apple:

I'm still a big fan of the "album experience", so I don't make much use of the "shuffle all songs" functionality built into iPod and iTunes. I would, however, make extensive use of a feature that would select a random (or pseudo-random) album and play it in its entirety. I'd like to see this playback feature extended to the iPod, as well.

Being able to rate entire albums (rather than individual songs) would be nice, too.

For example ... Dark Side of the Moon could be rated as a 5-star album, but I might rate one of the songs as a 3- or 4-star song. I could use that 5-star album rating in a smart playlist to use with a smart playlist for "Random Albums" and, by extension, sync only my favorite albums to my iPod.

If there's any way I can help clarify, guide, or test this request, please let me know.

Would anyone else around here be interested in something like this or in something similar?

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Rating albums is possible too, just put iTunes into album display mode and a rating appears below the album art on the left. That rating is independent of the ratings for individual songs, though it will fill in a rating if you've rated most or all of the songs on the album.

jW

fredsherbet

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2007
Hertford, England
Rating albums is possible too, just put iTunes into album display mode and a rating appears below the album art on the left. That rating is independent of the ratings for individual songs, though it will fill in a rating if you've rated most or all of the songs on the album.

jW

You learn something new everyday :) can that rating be used for smart playlists?

iPod touch. :p
oh :( you shoulda got the classic ;)

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Rating albums is possible too, just put iTunes into album display mode and a rating appears below the album art on the left.

I've never used that view, but wow. Thanks. I wonder why this isn't shown on the Coverflow view?

Now they just need to simplify the "pick a random album" or "pick all albums with 3+ stars" functionality. :)

iTunes even uses a different star on each song to indicate how/where that rating was made.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.