Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Aug 23, 2003, 09:12 PM   #1
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

Question iPod "Do Not Disconnect" Message

Apologies in advance if this question has already been asked and answered.

I just bought a 15 gb 3G iPod. If I put the Cube to sleep while the iPod is connected, on wake up I get the dreaded "Do Not Disconnect" flashing message on the iPod. The iPod is now not recognized in iTunes. If I quit iTunes and restart it, usually the iPod will be recognized and all is well again. This is the only solution I have found except for taking the iPod out of the dock before sleeping the Mac. Neither should be necessary, I don't think.

iTunes 4.0
iPod software 2.0.1
OS 10.2.6
Old Aug 23, 2003, 10:03 PM   #2
stoid
macrumors 68040

Having minimal experience operating my new 3G 10GB iPod (long enough to load my mp3 collection on to it before leaving for a college where I am surronded by PCs. I found that after unplugging the iPod, iTunes needed to be restarted before it would recognize the iPod on reconnect. I think it might have something to do with the iPod's hard disk feature. I enabled the iPod as an external hard drive and that fixed my problem. So either enable iPod FireWire disk (or disable it depending on what your current settings are) and see if that fixes the problem. My guess is that this is firmware related and Apple may address this issue in the next firmware update. Along that line though, you said you have iPod v 2.0.1, and I think that the latest from Apple is 2.0.2, so try updating the firmware. Good luck IJ, hope this helps.
stoid is offline   0
Old Aug 23, 2003, 11:00 PM   #3
bennetsaysargh
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to bennetsaysargh
2.0.2?
i know i a yup to date and have 2.0.1

anyway, sometimes that happens to me.
what i do is i disconnect by accident or something and its stuck on the do not disconnect. just restart the iPod by holding down the menu and the play buttons. sometimes your settings on the iPod might be reset, but every file is still there.
bennetsaysargh is offline   0
Old Aug 24, 2003, 01:53 AM   #4
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

I guess I'm just going to have to unplug the iPod from the Mac before putting it to sleep. This is only a minor inconvenience since the iPod won't charge from a sleeping Cube anyway, but I'm pretty sure this should not be a necessary step. I suppose quitting iTunes instead might also work or maybe setting the iPod to Firewire disk mode. Everything is up to date btw -- 2.0.1 is the current iPod software.
Old Aug 24, 2003, 02:39 AM   #5
simX
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally posted by IJ Reilly
I guess I'm just going to have to unplug the iPod from the Mac before putting it to sleep. This is only a minor inconvenience since the iPod won't charge from a sleeping Cube anyway, but I'm pretty sure this should not be a necessary step. I suppose quitting iTunes instead might also work or maybe setting the iPod to Firewire disk mode. Everything is up to date btw -- 2.0.1 is the current iPod software.
There's only one thing I have to say:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunes.html

Old Aug 24, 2003, 08:24 AM   #6
visor
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to visor
I used to have that problem a lot.

Since I've turned off all the 'auto' things, I get a long a bit better.
visor is offline   0
Old Aug 24, 2003, 12:54 PM   #7
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally posted by simX
There's only one thing I have to say:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunes.html

So your point here is that everybody is having the same problem?

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers