Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Sep 25, 2007, 06:36 AM   #1
sir42
macrumors 6502

free powerpoint reader for mac

Is there a free reader/player available that can play powerpoint pps files on the mac?
sir42 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2007, 07:33 AM   #2
oblomow
macrumors Demi-God

Send a message via AIM to oblomow
ye,s you can use OpenOffice.org or neooffice.org
bot can read, edit and play powerpoint files
oblomow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2007, 03:34 PM   #3
Queso
macrumors 603

Go with the NeoOffice one. Less messing around to get it up and running.
Queso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2007, 03:38 PM   #4
sir42
macrumors 6502

I don't suppose there's just a standalone pps player available? This is for my grandmother who already has MS Word and MS Excel on her ibook (but strangely not PowerPoint), and I worry that having another office suite on there might confuse her.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 06:27 PM   #5
Queso
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir42 View Post
I don't suppose there's just a standalone pps player available? This is for my grandmother who already has MS Word and MS Excel on her ibook (but strangely not PowerPoint), and I worry that having another office suite on there might confuse her.
No. Microsoft typically don't offer anything to help Mac users unless they pay for it (hence no WMP, no IE etc.). If you install NeoOffice, you can then re-associate the Word and Excel files with the Microsoft programs, so only Powerpoint files will appear with a NeoOffice icon. You can then hide NeoOffice from the Dock etc. and it will only fire up when she actually needs it.
Queso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2007, 08:14 PM   #6
sir42
macrumors 6502

That's good advice. Thanks!
Old Sep 25, 2007, 11:12 PM   #7
CalBoy
macrumors 601

Does she need the animation? If not, then why not just PDF it? Wouldn't that be the easiest way to view them (I'm assuming she doesn't want to create any PP presentations?)?
CalBoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2011, 08:54 PM   #8
mvalentine9
macrumors newbie

Powerpoint reader for mac-Yes!

Saturday, May 14, 2011
I just downloaded neooffice (from a link on neooffice.org--free, though you can make a donation if you wish) and for the first time I can open and view pps attachments sent with an email! It took a little time, not much, to download and install. Once installed, just open it and from the file menu, click "open document" and choose what you want to view. I chose a pps attachment I had previously saved from an email, but which Adobe refused to open. With the neooffice, it opened and I could view the entire thing. According to the opening slide there was music which I couldn't hear, so I will search around further to see if I can get sound, but was just so happy to at least be able to at least view these that I wanted to let others know this works. I have an older iBook, running OS 10.4.11.
mvalentine9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help