Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 26, 2007, 10:25 AM   #1
hibby417
macrumors newbie

Porting Number from Verizon

Has anyone had any issues porting their phone number from Verizon? I'm planning on picking up an iPhone in the next couple days and am wondering if anyone had any tips to streamline the process... Also, from what I've read, the early termination fee is $175--can anyone confirm this?
Thanks!
hibby417 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 10:28 AM   #2
JPS
macrumors regular

I had no issues whatsoever. The porting took all of five minutes, and because I waited till the day my contract was over I had no ETF charges.

But two weeks later Verizon Wireless called and started throwing all kinds of offers at me--free RZRs, discounted service, etc. But I'm very happy with my iPhone, and the ATT service has been amazingly good.

By the way, VZW has been discounting their ETF by $5 per month for phone contracts picked up I think within the last year or two. You may want to call and check on the status of that for your account.
JPS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 10:56 AM   #3
Pigs
macrumors newbie

Same deal for me, 5 mins last night and was activated for calls within 10 minutes. No problems so far, we'll see how ATT service is now.
Pigs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 11:05 AM   #4
shoelessone
macrumors 6502

Any idea what verizons cancelation fee is per month?

I have like 9 months left on my contract.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 11:08 AM   #5
hibby417
macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the responses... Shoeless, I think it's a flat $175 fee unless you're at the later stages of your agreement, then it's prorated. Mine isn't up until March (don't want to wait), so I'm expecting the full $175. Now all I need to worry about is getting stuck with a defective LCD...
Old Sep 26, 2007, 11:49 AM   #6
ijohn3
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to ijohn3 Send a message via MSN to ijohn3
I did the whole porting my number from VZW....I had no problems with it at all..It took about 30 min and I my iphone was working with my new number...I never called vzw to cancel as they know when you port your number over...I got a letter in the mail stating that if I would come back to them and sign a two year contract they would take 40 dollars off my next bill....wooooppiee doo...

I love my Iphone and my ATT signal and coverage has been awesome! I was scared to switch but I have no regrets now
Old Sep 26, 2007, 12:34 PM   #7
Pigs
macrumors newbie

All you Verizon people will get $5 towards every month of service that you had. So a 2 year contract and you cancel with 6 months remaining you should be charged $85. It says this in your contract but I had to call customer service to make sure. It was indeed true and made it a little easier on the wallet.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 03:59 PM   #8
OrangeCuse44
macrumors 65816

where can you find how much time is left on the contract?
Nikon D90:18-105 VR:35mm f/1.8:Flickr Project 365 Twitter
OrangeCuse44 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 04:26 PM   #9
mets1125
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCuse44 View Post
where can you find how much time is left on the contract?
Either call Vz up (#611 from your cell) or you can check online.
mets1125 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 05:31 PM   #10
EmptyG
macrumors regular

No verizon early termination fee - in California

Just an FYI...

I had 5 months left on my Verizon contract as of last week. I did some searching around and found that the only way out of an early termination fee is if Verizon changes your plan that is NOT government mandated. Most of the time, you are out of luck.

From Verizon's contract:
http://www.ucan.org/telecommunicatio...hone_contracts

Quote:
VERIZON
Our Rights To Make Changes
Your service is subject to our business policies, practices, and procedures, which we can change without notice. UNLESS OTHERWISE PROHIBITED BY LAW, WE CAN ALSO CHANGE PRICES AND ANY OTHER CONDITIONS IN THIS AGREEMENT AT ANY TIME BY SENDING YOU WRITTEN NOTICE PRIOR TO THE BILLING PERIOD IN WHICH THE CHANGES WOULD GO INTO EFFECT. IF YOU CHOOSE TO USE YOUR SERVICE AFTER THAT POINT, YOU'RE ACCEPTING THE CHANGES. IF THE CHANGES HAVE A MATERIAL ADVERSE EFFECT ON YOU, HOWEVER, YOU CAN END THE AFFECTED SERVICE, WITHOUT ANY EARLY TERMINATION FEE, JUST BY CALLING US WITHIN 60 DAYS AFTER WE SEND NOTICE OF THE CHANGE.
Now notice the clause above I have bolded.

So I checked my September Verizon bill and noticed this:

Quote:
Beginning September 1, 2007, our California State PUC Fee will increase
from 0.11 percent to 0.18 percent. This surcharge, which appears in the
"Verizon Wireless surcharges" section of your bill, is to recover
assessments by the California Public Utilities Commission. It is a Verizon
Wireless charge, not a government mandated tax, and is subject to
change. Please refer to the "Our Rights To Make Changes" section of your
Customer Agreement for information about changes
That legally constitutes a "material adverse change".

I called Verizon, explained it to them. They let me out of my contract immediately, and waived all termination fees

Also, I asked them to keep the numbers active so I could port them if I wanted to. They did and I did. 2 days later, I bought my iPhone, signed up with AT&T and they ported my number over

So in short: you can get out of your Verizon contract (in California at least) anytime BEFORE October 29th (under 60 days) since they made this change on September 1st.

Check out these links for more info:
http://www.ucan.org/telecommunicatio...phone_contract
http://www.ucan.org/telecommunicatio...hone_contracts

If you need more info, let me know! Just thought I would give back a little for my fellow iPhone-wanters Though this is for California, check your bill in your state. Any change like the one we had in California will work. My sister actually just did the same thing I did and got out of her contract too (she wanted an iPhone after seeing how cool they are).
She even had 19 months left on her contract and they let her out.

Last edited by EmptyG; Sep 26, 2007 at 05:42 PM.
EmptyG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 07:45 PM   #11
hibby417
macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the tips... Which Verizon password did you guys use during the iPhone activation process (it asks for phone number, zip code, and password if applicable)? Is it your online My Account password or the account password you give them over the phone when calling Verizon? I just don't want to get into the 7-day activation process nightmare that I read about in the forums here...
Thanks!
Old Sep 26, 2007, 08:13 PM   #12
Pigs
macrumors newbie

I just left the password blank and it worked fine for me.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 09:38 AM   #13
EmptyG
macrumors regular

I left the password blank too to avoid any issues
Old Sep 27, 2007, 10:01 AM   #14
ibglowin
macrumors regular

Thumbs up No problems at all for me either

I activated last Thursday. My Verizon contract has been expired for almost a year and they have been sending me text messages and flyers every month offering me a free month of service trying to get me back under contract.

Activation including number portage took literally less than 10 minutes start to finish. I am so glad I waited this one out on the sidelines for a few months.

Very happy iPhone camper!
ibglowin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 11:26 AM   #15
Deefuzz
macrumors 6502a

So the day your contract is up all you need to do is activate the iPhone and input your current details? This will terminate the Verizon contract AND keep your phone number?

I am a little confused with the process. My contract is due to be up in December and I am just trying to figure out what I will need to do to switch my phone number to use on an iPhone.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 11:31 AM   #16
ibglowin
macrumors regular

Yep,

You might want to wait until the day after just to make sure and be safe.

When you port your number it automatically cancels your Verizon account. I called Verizon that evening just to make sure I didn't need to do anything else and they said no, your accoun has been canceled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deefuzz View Post
So the day your contract is up all you need to do is activate the iPhone and input your current details? This will terminate the Verizon contract AND keep your phone number?

I am a little confused with the process. My contract is due to be up in December and I am just trying to figure out what I will need to do to switch my phone number to use on an iPhone.
ibglowin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 11:46 AM   #17
Raska
macrumors 6502

I recently ported my Verizon # to my iPhone. Where I go to college, Verizon has 0 service, which forced me to switch to the only carrier that does, AT&T, so I got an iPhone all thanks to Verizon.

I called Verizon up to port my number which actually went pretty seamless. They cancelled my line on the family plan (No ETF since it was their fault I had to switch), and within literally 30 seconds my number replaced the original number I had on iPhone. I had to re input my passcode for voicemail, but after that, Visual Voicemail worked flawless, and I have had no other issues.
Raska is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 12:16 PM   #18
iClamp
macrumors newbie

I canceled my services with Verizon with about 12 months left on my contract. The termination fee is $175. Let me tell you, worth every penny. My monthly bill with AT&T is about half the cost of my monthly bill with Verizon.. and I have more features with my iPhone. Since then, they have offered me a ton of promotions to return, but AT&T has been great so far. Plus, the iPhone is a great device.
iClamp is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone