Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
I plug my iPod into my Car on the way to work and the way home from work and basically any time I'm in my car. The unit I have it plugged into is an iPod charger that happens to have a line-out built in that is connected to the back of my car stereo's AUX in. By constantly charging my iPod while it's in my car, am I shortening the life of my iPod battery for when it's not being charged?

Things l like about my car charger:
1. iPod is always charged
2. iPod does not go into standby mode (display off)
3. When I turn off the car, the iPod pauses.

My other options?
1. Just use the headphone port on my iPod to the AUX port on my CD player.
- iPod will still go into standby mode so I will have to hit the button on top to see what song is playing.
- But, then the iPod doesn't pause if I stop my car and go in a store
- By using the headphone port on my iPod, I have 2 volumes to control (stereo and iPod volumes separately)
2. Buy a direct Dock Connector to RCA cable
- Then the iPod will go into standby mode so I can't see what song is playing unless I hit the button on top.
- Less cables to attach (good thing)
- Finally I could put cups in the cup holder without the iPod charger plugged into the cigarette lighter.
- Better sound quality?

Some products I found for solution #2:
http://amazon.com/Cables-Go-35507-C...1&pf_rd_t=1501&pf_rd_p=186412001&pf_rd_i=home

http://amazon.com/Nyko-Stereo-Link-...1&pf_rd_t=1501&pf_rd_p=186412001&pf_rd_i=home

GrimmGreen

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2007
I plug my iPod into my Car on the way to work and the way home from work and basically any time I'm in my car. The unit I have it plugged into is an iPod charger that happens to have a line-out built in that is connected to the back of my car stereo's AUX in. By constantly charging my iPod while it's in my car, am I shortening the life of my iPod battery for when it's not being charged?

Things l like about my car charger:
1. iPod is always charged
2. iPod does not go into standby mode (display off)
3. When I turn off the car, the iPod pauses.

My other options?
1. Just use the headphone port on my iPod to the AUX port on my CD player.
- iPod will still go into standby mode so I will have to hit the button on top to see what song is playing.
- But, then the iPod doesn't pause if I stop my car and go in a store
- By using the headphone port on my iPod, I have 2 volumes to control (stereo and iPod volumes separately)
2. Buy a direct Dock Connector to RCA cable
- Then the iPod will go into standby mode so I can't see what song is playing unless I hit the button on top.
- Less cables to attach (good thing)
- Finally I could put cups in the cup holder without the iPod charger plugged into the cigarette lighter.
- Better sound quality?

i use the Belkin charger with the line out in my car , and the sound quality is much better than if i plug the aux into the headphone jack ,

also send station makes a aux line out adapter for the bottom port with a usb in for charging when you need it

and you can always press the home button to see what song is playing when it goes into standby mode

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.