Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Sep 26, 2007, 07:03 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Voice Over IP on the iPhone

Endgadget posts a video demo of an iPhone successfully making a phone call over IP. The demo was provided by a company called Truphone who announced today. From the press release:
Quote:

1. Many people have called for true VoIP calling on Apple's iPhone. Truphone will today prove that it is possible using the iPhone's in-built Wi-Fi capability.
2. Truphone's demonstration will comprise two iPhones connected to Wi-Fi on the DEMOfall 07 stage. A VoIP call will be initiated from one handset, routed via Wi-Fi and the Internet to Truphone's servers, and then back again to the access point and onwards to the destination handset -- a 100% IP phone call.
3. Today's event will be a live demonstration only and is not a commercial launch of Truphone on the iPhone.
4. Truphone does not need to unlock the SIM in order to operate its service for the iPhone.
Voice over IP (VOIP) allows users to use the internet to transmit their voice calles, bypassing AT&T's cellular network (and billing).

Article Link
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 07:07 PM   #2
psychofreak
Retired

Awesome, not too long until this is easy...hopefully by the time the UK gets the phone
psychofreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 07:26 PM   #3
nismo
macrumors member

i just read this on engadget and it is soo friggin cool! I can't wait!
nismo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 07:26 PM   #4
Telp
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to Telp
This is great!! True voIP...
Old Sep 26, 2007, 07:31 PM   #5
aerospace
macrumors 6502a

me thinks at&t isn't happy about this development
aerospace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 07:45 PM   #6
Mydel
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to Mydel
I think AT&T is aware that iPhone is a full blown computer, and they are not able to stop this kind of development. And frankly speaking I guess Apple is silently cheering
Mydel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 07:46 PM   #7
ivi7
macrumors 6502a

This was one of those things I was sure the iPhone couldn't do.
I am really happy and excited about this development.
ivi7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 07:53 PM   #8
dvkid
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telp View Post
This is great!! True voIP...
Not quite. Though I can overlook the length it takes to call out now as that will surely be remedied soon. However there have been no inroads made towards receiving calls via VoIP. Not to mention you would also be unable to utilize AT&Ts Voicemail with this method at all, let alone Visual Voicemail. Unfortunately, until AT&T (or T-Mobile) is willing to release this as a product it will not function as well as it should and thus will not permeate the primary population.
dvkid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 08:20 PM   #9
TXCraig
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvkid View Post
Unfortunately, until AT&T (or T-Mobile) is willing to release this as a product it will not function as well as it should and thus will not permeate the primary population.
T-Mobile already has this service that will switch calls from WiFi to Cell and back again as you travel from WiFI AP to another. The calls made on the WiFi network are free. They have 2 phones currently that do this. It was released in June just before the iPhone started selling.

Last edited by TXCraig; Sep 26, 2007 at 08:26 PM.
TXCraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 09:18 PM   #10
bob122989
macrumors newbie

I'd be extremely interested in finding out how capable the ipod touch would be with this here method.

Unless it uses some fancy workaround on files that wouldn't be present on the ipod touch.

Just a thought.
bob122989 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 09:25 PM   #11
RichP
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob122989 View Post
I'd be extremely interested in finding out how capable the ipod touch would be with this here method.

Unless it uses some fancy workaround on files that wouldn't be present on the ipod touch.

Just a thought.
No Mic, No speaker, No phone.

VoIP will be an iphone reality from Apple/ATT, just not anytime soon.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 09:28 PM   #12
QuarterSwede
macrumors 604

While cool, it's not that exciting for a few reasons.

1) Current cell plans give plenty of minutes (my wife and I never use all of our minutes. I think we have over 2000 on rollover).

2) VOIP only works while in a WiFi area.

3) Not feasible for use in cities while walking around town or in the car.

So, while it's great while you're in your house, etc. This is NOT going to replace your cell phone.

However, if would be nice to use your iPhone as a cell phone while abroad and as your "landline" while at home. Too bad VOIP quality pales in comparison to good old copper ... at least that's what I hear from people who have had it.

"Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world." -- Martin Luther

Last edited by QuarterSwede; Sep 26, 2007 at 09:41 PM.
QuarterSwede is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 09:35 PM   #13
bamisey
macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C28 Safari/419.3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob122989

Just a thought.
yeah, but one problem, the touch does not have a mic. Even the earphone jack doesn't have a third pin for a mic. You'll have to connect one through the dock.
bamisey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 10:10 PM   #14
ntrigue
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ntrigue
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarterSwede View Post
The real significance is international calling and a decidedly lower minutes plan for those that own a home office.
ntrigue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 10:43 PM   #15
PDE
macrumors 68020

Quote:

1) Current cell plans give plenty of minutes (my wife and I never use all of our minutes. I think we have over 2000 on rollover).

So, while it's great while you're in your house, etc. This is NOT going to replace your cell phone.

However, if would be nice to use your iPhone as a cell phone while abroad and as your "landline" while at home. Too bad VOIP quality pales in comparison to good old copper ... at least that's what I hear from people who have had it.

As somebody said, it's the international calling that is useful. Also, I've used VOIP as my main phone line for years and it has become as good, or almost as good, as regular copper lines. My service also has a function that allows me to dial in to access my voip line through my cell phone. That seems like a better solution, quite frankly.

Still, this is a great development and I;m sure a lot of people will use it as wifi becomes more widespread all over the place. Cool!
PDE is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 11:15 PM   #16
Darkroom

this is soooo excellent
Darkroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 11:38 PM   #17
i_am_a_cow
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to i_am_a_cow
this is great because minneapolis just got a city-wide network!
i_am_a_cow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 01:12 AM   #18
superleccy
macrumors 6502a

I suspect the threat of VOIP (to AT&T, and thus to Apple's commercial agreement) is one of the main reasons why Apple hasn't opened the iPhone to developers.

It's just a matter of time.

SL
Old Sep 27, 2007, 04:46 AM   #19
iWizzard
macrumors regular

For this to be fully usefull it must be fully integrated withe current phone part so it will be just as easy to make a voip call as an regular call.

And you shuld be able to use EFGE with room to spare make an VOIP call, an voip call requires 90 Kbps.
iWizzard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 05:52 AM   #20
Dagless
macrumors Core

Wow, this could be very good for me. I'm planning on going for the £35 a month o2 deal, which leaves me with 200 minutes calling only. But since my house is bathed in WiFi I could easily save myself those precious minutes. My girlfriend's place is the same.

Oo, and the trains I get have WiFi on them (The Cloud, I believe). This would be very excellent as phone signals just go haywire on them.

I look forward to this!
Old Sep 27, 2007, 06:07 AM   #21
emotion
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjimmi View Post

Oo, and the trains I get have WiFi on them (The Cloud, I believe). This would be very excellent as phone signals just go haywire on them.

Which trains are these? You're in Manchester too yes?

I'm 100% my trains won't - stopper coming in from Warrington, they're the worst trains on the network.

I was reasonably impressed when I looked into Cloud coverage on their site. In fact to pass the time until the iPhone arrives I'm getting a Touch to see how the Cloud service fairs.
emotion is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 06:35 AM   #22
infamous
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to infamous
Skype anyone?
Old Sep 27, 2007, 07:16 AM   #23
sanford
macrumors 65816

I agree with all your all your points, especially about collecting so many rollover minutes, and with mobile-to-mobile, we have the equivalent of a monster family plan at the cheapest monthly rate. One thing: VOIP quality is *better* than traditional landline, when it's good. At least our dedicated VOIP service separate from our broadband provider is better, when it's spot-on; problem is, it's highly sensitive to network conditions, both local and of the broadband provider's. Especially anything that uses the upstream data. If I do a large backup to my .mac account or publish a lot of photos to a .mac gallery, I can hear the other party clear as a bell, better than traditional landline, but my speech breaks up terribly for them. We have a 450 kbps upstream cap, that usually sits at around 400 kbps: that should be plenty for .mac uploads that tend to stall at around 50 kbps plus the voice upstream, which as stated by the provider only requires about 200 kbps or so upstream at the very most. But I guess the streams walk all over each other. While the data seems steady, the photos get up to .mac gallery as fast as if I wasn't using the phone, the outgoing voice is terrible during these time. Other network conditions than sometimes affect outgoing and incoming voice quality. Internal-only network use, like streaming movie from our Macs to the Apple TV over 802.11g or even mixed mode b to g, don't affect it at all; but the VOIP box is wire-connect to the router. Succinctly, it's better at its best but unstable and unpredictable. (We chose to use it because the former owner of our townhouse, in an apparent attempt to wire the landline phone system to every room, destroyed all the copper in the house, didn't declare such and it's hard to tell a line is bad on a line with no service when inspecting a house; it's a much better deal than paying the estimated $2,000 to have the house rewired, and the monthly service fee is half what we'd pay the local landline provider for fewer features.)

I assume this has to be a hacked native iPhone application, not an Apple-compliant Web application. If/when Apple and AT&T offer such a service, officially, I would certainly be interested, even if there were a small fee -- reasonably, US$5 - US$10 a month -- as it would use my usual cell number, calls would just make it in without forwarding and such, I'd be able to use Visual Voicemail, and unanswered calls would go to my AT&T voicemail. Until then it's interesting, but not useful to me.

Quote:

sanford is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 07:19 AM   #24
mikeinternet
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to mikeinternet
What are the chances this will work on EDGE?
mikeinternet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 08:41 AM   #25
iWizzard
macrumors regular

100%
iWizzard is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion