Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcoakes9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2007
So I finally have an almost perfect iPod Touch, no black level issues, no sound issues, nothing. Well, nothing except for three stuck green pixels around the mid-left side of the screen.

For those of you who have taken your iPods to get them replaced for stuck pixels, what has your experience been? Did Apple happily swap yours out if you had a few white pixels in the corner, or did they refuse even with some bright red ones in the center? I ask because my Apple store is about an hour away in terms of travel time, but I get my invisible shield tomorrow, and want my iPod as close to perfect as can be.

So, in short, do you think its worth it?

EDIT:
I have tried the unsticking methods - no luck.

Vikinguy

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2007
I'm having the same issue. Although mine are white. I'm gonna try to exchange I think. This one stuck pixel is very distracting while watching Dark video.

jcoakes9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2007
Honestly, I think I'll just live with it. Its not as bad as my PSP and I would risk a bad audio chip, or worse, red stuck pixels! Plus, they probably don't have any in stock anyway. At least no more waiting!

Vikinguy

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2007
Hey, if you feel good about, more power to ya. I have an apple store 10 mins away...so that makes a difference.

sizetwo

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2006
I had the same problem, albeit I only had ONE stuck pixel. I took it back to the store, they saw it (it was so hard to find) and happily gave me a new one. Brought it home, only to find that it had ONE stuck pixel as well. A little disheartened I went back to the Apple store here in downtown San Francisco, and they moved me to the front of the 'Genius Bar' line and gave me a new one. I checked it while I was there hardcore, couldnt see any dead/stuck pixels and its the one I am currently using.

In other words, my experience with Apple has only been good. Sucks that there are stuck pixels, but it does happen. Apple was happy to fix it for me.

Cloudane

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Sweet Apple Acres
Don't forget to justify your case. I've heard more success from those who've gone in and said they watch a lot of dark videos so the bright red pixel in the middle is very distracting (or whatever, some legitimate reason it's unsuitable) than those who are simply seeking perfection.

I think the official policy is something like 6 pixels required? But as with all such matters it's down to the staff member's discretion so it depends on putting a decent case forward, as well as a bit of luck and a genius in the right mood.

jcoakes9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2007
I think what I've decided that is its not worth getting fixed. The fact is, I have one with no audio problems, and an otherwise great screen, and if you hold it at a normal viewing length (ie, not 2 inches from your face) you don't notice the pixel in anything other than complete blackness.

In my opinion, a green stuck pixel is much better than a red one, and who knows if there will be anything wrong with my next iPod! The first one I had had 3 white ones stuck in the corner, and that was much more distracting.

I guess i'm keeping it. Its not perfection, but I can't wait to use it!

EDIT:
Now if only I could get some apps...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.