Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 26, 2007, 10:48 PM   #1
Malamutt
macrumors regular

State Farm - iPhone Insurance

So after reading the threads here I contacted State Farm and asked my local agent if they insured the iPhone. The answer was "Yes" as long as you already had another policy with them.

So two weeks ago I decided to insure my iPhone. $30 for 1 year. Pretty damn good deal. No deductible, covered loss, theft, etc etc...

Yesterday I receieved a letter in snail mail stating that they were cancelling my policy because they do not cover "cell phones"

Anyone else get their iPhone insured with State Farm have this happen to them?

Malamutt
iPhone
Malamutt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 11:18 PM   #2
Rooskibar03
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malamutt View Post
So after reading the threads here I contacted State Farm and asked my local agent if they insured the iPhone. The answer was "Yes" as long as you already had another policy with them.

So two weeks ago I decided to insure my iPhone. $30 for 1 year. Pretty damn good deal. No deductible, covered loss, theft, etc etc...

Yesterday I receieved a letter in snail mail stating that they were cancelling my policy because they do not cover "cell phones"

Malamutt

This sux. You are like the 5th person with SF and my agent totally claims no cell coverage anymore. I have 5 friggen policies with them too..
Rooskibar03 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 11:26 PM   #3
Sobe
macrumors 68000

I was told no by state farm as well.

In my situation, they had a $1000 limit for personal property so they said they couldn't do it.
Sobe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 07:24 AM   #4
Angelo921
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooskibar03 View Post
This sux. You are like the 5th person with SF and my agent totally claims no cell coverage anymore. I have 5 friggen policies with them too..

I have my iPhone insured with state farm and did not receive any such letter, in fact I spoke to my agent yesterday on another issue and he never said anything about it either.
Angelo921 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 07:25 AM   #5
Speedracer04
macrumors 6502a

I have my policy in hand, $30/year, no deductable. Specifically states its a cellphone coverage (personal artifacts plan).

I have no previous policys with them.
Speedracer04 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 09:55 AM   #6
mpuck972
Banned

I have both my iPhone and my Dell laptop individually insured on different 'personal property' policies. This is an agent by agent decission, maybe call a few others in the area until you find one willing to do it?

I also have my truck, motorcycle, and renters insurance through my agent, so maybe they base it on how reliable they feel the policy will be. I'm sure they have some sort of percentage scale they work off of to determine how likely someone will be to file a claim, and then they go by that.
mpuck972 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2009, 03:29 PM   #7
trailmaker03
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedracer04 View Post
I have my policy in hand, $30/year, no deductable. Specifically states its a cellphone coverage (personal artifacts plan).

I have no previous policys with them.
I was just wondering if you would give me the name of your agent. I am also in Michigan and would like to insure my Iphone.

Thanks
trailmaker03@hotmail.com
trailmaker03 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2009, 09:27 PM   #8
theDUB
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
...I contacted State Farm and asked my local agent if they insured the iPhone. The answer was "Yes"...
Yesterday I receieved a letter in snail mail stating that they were cancelling my policy because they do not cover "cell phones"...
I would call that agent back and say WTF?
theDUB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2009, 09:31 PM   #9
jason72780
macrumors regular

I had a policy with them and broke my iphone's screen a few months later. I filed my claim and they sent me the payment, and then cancelled my policy. It was still good to have it for the time i did. I wish i still had it.
jason72780 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2009, 09:32 PM   #10
Aaleck
macrumors 6502a

haha, I didn't know state farm covered/covers iPhones... will have to look into that. Only question I have is what happens if something happened to it? Would you get the full price back for the phone, a repalcement? Or...?
Aaleck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2009, 09:33 PM   #11
fishkorp
macrumors 68010

I was told by my agent that they recently stopped covering iPhones due to large number of fraudulent claims My phones were covered, now they are not.
fishkorp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2009, 09:39 PM   #12
jason72780
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaleck View Post
haha, I didn't know state farm covered/covers iPhones... will have to look into that. Only question I have is what happens if something happened to it? Would you get the full price back for the phone, a repalcement? Or...?
They cut me a check for the early upgrade ($399 + tax) and had me show them that I had gotten a new phone
jason72780 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2009, 10:53 PM   #13
Abyssgh0st
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to Abyssgh0st
Question:

Does State Farm still cover iPhones, as of today? 4/22/09.
Abyssgh0st is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2010, 12:23 PM   #14
hobblyjig
macrumors newbie

insurance no more

I just tried to get insurance on my iPhone 4 with state farm. The agent told me that it was all set up but then when they sent the paperwork in to have it underwritten it was denied.

State farm no longer insures any cell phones
hobblyjig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2010, 12:40 PM   #15
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 601

State Farm is doing you a favor. Always a bad idea to insure through a company if you have another policy (car/homeowner insurance) with them, because a claim will count toward the other policy and you'll get dropped.

Either self-insure or get a dedicated insurance.
JayLenochiniMac is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2010, 01:11 PM   #16
tigress666
macrumors 68040

Quote:

Malamutt
They may have not realized State Farm stopped covering cellphones. They covered my old iphone but according to my agent, I think in either March or May they got a memo saying they no longer were going to insure cellphones. My previous iphone was still covered cause it got grandfathered in (though not sure if I had kept it if they would allow me to re-insure it when the policy time period ended).

I was very sad to hear this . At least they'll still insure my new laptop .
tigress666 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone