Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 27, 2007, 01:31 AM   #1
infosprt
macrumors regular

Curious iPhone User Agent String

I have been noticing some iPhone requests coming in from Japan.

iPhone in USA User Agent String....
Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C28 Safari/419.3

Whereas an iPhone in Japan reports...
Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; ja-jp) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A100a Safari/419.3

I thought there was only one version out there, the one sold in the USA. Do they sell Japanese iPhones in the US? Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks

Last edited by infosprt; Sep 27, 2007 at 02:21 AM.
infosprt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 01:39 AM   #2
FreeState
macrumors 65816

Most likely your seeing the Japanese localized version of an iPod Touch (it uses the same base software as the iPhone and even calls itself an iPhone on certain alerts in error. In this case they both use Mobile Safari that identifies itself as an iPhone regardless - so that pages that are written for the iPhone also work on the iPod Touch, which Im guessing is running an updated version of Safari that iPhone's do not have yet.)
FreeState is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 01:41 AM   #3
infosprt
macrumors regular

No, I don't think so.

I see many, many iPod user agent strings from Japan.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 01:47 AM   #4
FreeState
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by infosprt View Post
No, I don't think so.

I see many, many iPod user agent strings from Japan.
Well seeing that every iPod Touch has a localized Japanese version were as none of the iPhones for sale do, I highly doubt its from the iPhones that have been shown to the Press that have localized versions on them. Add to that your link to a Japanese translator on your site...

Okay I did a little searching and it must be someone spoofing a user agent or an iPhone....

iPod Touch
Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A100a Safari/419.3

iPhone
Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1A543a Safari/419.3

(Maybe someone at Apple is checking the new software on your site ? Notice that the Touch has the 3A100a aswell as the iPhone you are seeing)

Last edited by FreeState; Sep 27, 2007 at 02:00 AM.
FreeState is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 02:03 AM   #5
infosprt
macrumors regular

OK. The translation thing is different though. The little translation flags don't show on the iPhone just desktop/laptop browsers.

I appreciate your ideas though. I am new to the Apple world.

BTW: My vote is for the iPhone as the invention of the year!
Old Jun 24, 2010, 12:55 AM   #6
Jillian M. Dow
macrumors newbie

I am an iPhone user.. I think there's a slight difference between the two, I think that the phone from Japan is like a "droid" of the phone from the US.

assisted living vancouver wa
Old Jul 5, 2010, 10:09 AM   #7
CheapWebHosting
macrumors newbie

It has something to do with its settings. The iPhone's settings for a certain country, so that means, for Japan, you would really see texts/settings that denotes japan. This is the same thing for other regions/ countries too.

Cheap Web Hosting
CheapWebHosting is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2010, 11:06 AM   #8
Nguyen Khoa
macrumors newbie

Now I get it. I have an iPhone 3Gs shipped from Japan and It's locked for Japan. However, I also wonder if the manufacturing of iPhones, as said, happens only in the US?

http://www.gamesy8games.com
Nguyen Khoa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2011, 07:47 AM   #9
jenniferwinget0
macrumors newbie

Send a message via ICQ to jenniferwinget0 Send a message via AIM to jenniferwinget0 Send a message via MSN to jenniferwinget0 Send a message via Yahoo to jenniferwinget0
The iPad represents itself in line with how the iPhone and iPod Touch differentiate themselves by specifying different device strings, but still contains the word 'mobile' - so Apple is currently explicitly classing this device as a mobile browser. But we now have a new class of devices to case for, segmented somewhere between mobile and non-mobile. While Apple has taken the first real swing at a tablet user agent, it's up in the air whether other tablet browsers will fall in line with this or do their own thing. Consistency is critical for proper detection without necessitating device specific casing.
jenniferwinget0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone