Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Sep 27, 2007, 09:20 AM   #1
SamIchi
macrumors 68030

Finding artist and track info for chinese (non-english) albums...

So I bought my parents a Mac Mini, they have a bunch of cd's all chinese. So we imported a couple but no names and info, which is understandable since it's in Chinese. I don't know anything about the international abilities of the Mac, but I've seen japanese characters in my iTunes, so I'm assuming chinese characters can be typed on a mac.

Can anyone tell me how? And would there be a program that can find asian cd info, and put in the info for us?

Thanks for the help guys.
SamIchi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 02:02 PM   #2
bousozoku
Moderator emeritus

I've got several Chinese CDs and it's hit or miss whether the information has been submitted to CDDB or not. The more popular and newer artists seem to have a following big enough to enter the information but many don't.

Of course, you can always add the information yourself, if you can find the characters.

Go to System Preferences->International->Input Menu. You should probably select Traditional Chinese for anything prior to the 1980s or coming from Taiwan since they won't use Simplified. Also, check Allow a different input source for each document so you don't accidentally type Chinese elsewhere.
bousozoku is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2007, 02:43 AM   #3
northernmunky
macrumors 6502a

I've got a bunch of Chinese CD's too, not had a problem importing CD data through iTunes. As the other guy said you can input Chinese through International > Input menu and add Chinese / Japanese language input but unless you know the phonics it's probably a little difficult to input.

I'll ask my missus later (who speaks better Chinese than me) if she knows of any way of importing the data over the interweb...

Last edited by bousozoku; Sep 28, 2007 at 02:56 AM. Reason: removed quote of deleted post
northernmunky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2007, 09:09 AM   #4
northernmunky
macrumors 6502a

'Last edited by bousozoku : Today at 08:56 AM. Reason: removed quote of deleted post'

Who the bloomin 'eck is 'bousozoku'???!!! Fair enough the previous poster deserved deleting...

Anyways, she says shes never had a problem with any Chinese CD's. To be fair if theres any program that should be able to extract CDDB information or any CD's from around the world chances are iTunes can do it. If not then the must be pretty obscure...
northernmunky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2007, 09:22 AM   #5
ftaok
macrumors 601

The other way to do it is to go and find the CD on a Chinese website and copy paste the track information. That way, you don't need to do the input yourself.

I've done this for a few CDs and as long as you have the CD with you, you can compare.

check out Yesasia.com. I search in english and then switch to Chinese.
ftaok is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2007, 02:38 PM   #6
bousozoku
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftaok View Post
The other way to do it is to go and find the CD on a Chinese website and copy paste the track information. That way, you don't need to do the input yourself.

I've done this for a few CDs and as long as you have the CD with you, you can compare.

check out Yesasia.com. I search in english and then switch to Chinese.
Isn't their track information always an image? I was trying to get track information for one CD I bought locally, which didn't get the information from CDDB, but there was no editable text. I guess I'll have to look at it again in Chinese.
bousozoku is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2007, 05:48 AM   #7
ftaok
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by bousozoku View Post
Isn't their track information always an image?
Not always. I think if you are viewing an English page, the track listing is an image. But I think if you switch to the Chinese version of the page, then the tracks are individual characters.

ft
ftaok is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod