Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 27, 2007, 02:18 PM   #1
gloss
macrumors 601
 
gloss's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: around/about
Send a message via AIM to gloss
Confirmed: iPod Touch Software Update 'Alleviates' Negative Black

Wewt.

edit: Corrected for the anal-retentive.
__________________
when you say it's all over / hell yeah anyway

Last edited by gloss; Sep 27, 2007 at 04:06 PM.
gloss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 02:21 PM   #2
madmaxmedia
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Send a message via Yahoo to madmaxmedia
I guess its possible the Week 38 (or whatever) units actually had the same screen as the early ones, but had revised firmware to correct the display problem.

If so, the new update would obviously not change anything on good units.
madmaxmedia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 02:22 PM   #3
gloss
Thread Starter
macrumors 601
 
gloss's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: around/about
Send a message via AIM to gloss
We'll have to see. I updated and ran the Jay-Z test and it definitely looks good now. My Macbook screen has more of a blue cast, but I think that's due to the calibration.
__________________
when you say it's all over / hell yeah anyway
gloss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 02:23 PM   #4
plasticmoz
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmedia View Post
I guess its possible the Week 38 (or whatever) units actually had the same screen as the early ones, but had revised firmware to correct the display problem.

If so, the new update would obviously not change anything on good units.

Except that all models have had the same firmware available till now. So no.
plasticmoz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 02:25 PM   #5
madmaxmedia
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Send a message via Yahoo to madmaxmedia
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticmoz View Post
Except that all models have had the same firmware available till now. So no.
I was thinking they could have included a tweaked version but not changed the version number, since a complete update was coming.

Or they are different screens, and the OS can determine what screen is there, and how to properly drive it. Or they changed something that fixes the old screen, but does not affect the new screens in any way.
madmaxmedia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 02:28 PM   #6
gloss
Thread Starter
macrumors 601
 
gloss's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: around/about
Send a message via AIM to gloss
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmedia View Post
I was thinking they could have included a tweaked version but not changed the version number, since a complete update was coming.

Or they are different screens, and the OS can determine what screen is there, and how to properly drive it. Or they changed something that fixes the old screen, but does not affect the new screens in any way.
I had heard that the screen issue stemmed from faulty settings for the video processor. If so, this firmware update could easily fix the issue. Week 38 units likely shipped with correctly-calibrated processors.
__________________
when you say it's all over / hell yeah anyway
gloss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 02:50 PM   #7
iShak
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloss View Post
We'll have to see. I updated and ran the Jay-Z test and it definitely looks good now. My Macbook screen has more of a blue cast, but I think that's due to the calibration.
oh man! .. that drove me nuts when I bought my Macbook (I am a graphic designer so need my greys to be as close to proper greys as possible)

here is a fix ..

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304534

everyone .. get it fixed .. macbook's screen deserves this ICC profile.
__________________
I received 35 hate PM's in 3 days for my anti-iPhone posts.
25-june-2007.
iShak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 03:05 PM   #8
gloss
Thread Starter
macrumors 601
 
gloss's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: around/about
Send a message via AIM to gloss
Quote:
Originally Posted by iShak View Post
oh man! .. that drove me nuts when I bought my Macbook (I am a graphic designer so need my greys to be as close to proper greys as possible)

here is a fix ..

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304534

everyone .. get it fixed .. macbook's screen deserves this ICC profile.
Whoa. That profile seems extremely yellow to me. Yikes.
__________________
when you say it's all over / hell yeah anyway
gloss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 03:29 PM   #9
CaptainCaveMann
macrumors 68000
 
CaptainCaveMann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
And who exactly is confirming this?
__________________
I give up caring. Apple disappoints me every Tuesday. Looks like I'm going to Alienware. At least their computers can glow red. -TantalizedMind
CaptainCaveMann is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 03:31 PM   #10
bogman12
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
gloss: what the h*ll kind of thread is this? Who confirmed? huh?
bogman12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 03:36 PM   #11
steve101
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
It's not fixed. It just looks a hell of alot better. The slight negative effect is still visible though.
steve101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 03:39 PM   #12
gkarris
macrumors 604
 
gkarris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: "No escape from Reality..."
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve101 View Post
It's not fixed. It just looks a hell of alot better. The slight negative effect is still visible though.
Duh, PHYSICAL DEFECT. The "software fix" is to up your brightness and contrast which will eat away at your batteries...

Go get the screen really fixed (weeks 38+)...
__________________
"This gate's plastic." Captain Carter, Stargate SG-1, "Touchstone"
gkarris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 03:47 PM   #13
bogman12
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkarris View Post
Duh, PHYSICAL DEFECT. The "software fix" is to up your brightness and contrast which will eat away at your batteries...

Go get the screen really fixed (weeks 38+)...
It's probably an increase in gamma..

So now the darkest blacks are not longer black but a dark grey..

That is not a good fix! This is probably what's happening:

OLD FIRMWARE:


NEW FIRMWARE:

Last edited by bogman12; Sep 27, 2007 at 04:16 PM.
bogman12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 03:58 PM   #14
gkarris
macrumors 604
 
gkarris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: "No escape from Reality..."
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogman12 View Post
It's probably an increase in gamma..

So now the darkest blacks are not longer black but a dark grey..

That is not a good fix!


I apologize, everyone. Coming from a "company such as" Apple, this erks me...

The company I used to work for does this. Hardware Engineers design, Software Engineers fix...

BTW: All you people with defective screens your chances of taking it back just went way down...
__________________
"This gate's plastic." Captain Carter, Stargate SG-1, "Touchstone"
gkarris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 04:02 PM   #15
cmcclure16
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogman12 View Post
It's probably an increase in gamma..

So now the darkest blacks are not longer black but a dark grey..

That is not a good fix!

OLD FIRMWARE:


NEW FIRMWARE:
So then week 38s shouldn't download and install it?
__________________
15" MacBook Pro 2.3Ghz i7, 16GB RAM, 500GB HDD | 32GB White iPhone 5 | Apple TV 3
cmcclure16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 04:05 PM   #16
gloss
Thread Starter
macrumors 601
 
gloss's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: around/about
Send a message via AIM to gloss
Quote:
gloss: what the h*ll kind of thread is this? Who confirmed? huh?
What the hell kind of reply is this? Who are you? Huh?

Perhaps 'alleviate' would be a better word than 'fix'. I have no more shimmering blacks, but the black level is not quite as strong as my Macbook's screen. I'll compare it to my friend's iPhone this weekend.

Regardless, it's much more watchable.
__________________
when you say it's all over / hell yeah anyway
gloss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 04:08 PM   #17
jmpage2
macrumors 68030
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcclure16 View Post
So then week 38s shouldn't download and install it?
Mine's a week 38 and doesn't look washed out as shown after updating. It does appear to do something to the gamma/contrast curve on the device.
jmpage2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 04:15 PM   #18
bogman12
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloss View Post
What the hell kind of reply is this? Who are you? Huh?

Perhaps 'alleviate' would be a better word than 'fix'. I have no more shimmering blacks, but the black level is not quite as strong as my Macbook's screen. I'll compare it to my friend's iPhone this weekend.

Regardless, it's much more watchable.
Is the black level now as dark as prior to the new firmware?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcclure16 View Post
So then week 38s shouldn't download and install it?
No it's fine, because the installation logic is able to identify the serial number of your Touch and apply the screen fix only to affected units..

HOWEVER, those who has GOOD W37 screens will probably not want to install this because it'll try to adjust your screen under the assumption that it is a bad one.
bogman12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 04:20 PM   #19
gloss
Thread Starter
macrumors 601
 
gloss's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: around/about
Send a message via AIM to gloss
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogman12 View Post
Is the black level now as dark as prior to the new firmware?



No it's fine, because the installation logic is able to identify the serial number of your Touch and apply the screen fix only to affected units..

HOWEVER, those who has GOOD W37 screens will probably not want to install this because it'll try to adjust your screen under the assumption that it is a bad one.
The black level is acceptable, probably on par with the unit pre-firmware (hadn't thought to bother with a before-after session, as I didn't realize it would be playing with the screen until after it was installed). I really would like to compare it to an iPhone rather than my laptop, though, as the latter would be apples-and-oranges.

It's much, much better than it was. I'll test it in a dark room tonight and post here if I encounter any other issues.
__________________
when you say it's all over / hell yeah anyway
gloss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 04:26 PM   #20
hatcher146
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: north carolina
Send a message via AIM to hatcher146
this is not confirmed.

this did not do anything for my device as far as i can tell (week 37) im still going to exchange for a week 38
__________________
2.16 MacBook White
2.53 MacBook Pro
8 GB iPod touch (SOLD)
8 GB iPhone 3G (7/11)
hatcher146 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 04:29 PM   #21
pantalaimon
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
honestly, you guys will complain about ANYTHING! They fix the negative black issue and people still complain...

Apple could come out with a 10000000 GB ipod touch with all the applications you could ever dream of and you'd still find something to complain about.

my week 37 ipod touch looks a hell of a lot better now... funnily enough, i'm happy about that
pantalaimon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 04:30 PM   #22
pushateg7
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Wheeling, IL
Send a message via AIM to pushateg7 Send a message via Yahoo to pushateg7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantalaimon View Post
honestly, you guys will complain about ANYTHING! They fix the negative black issue and people still complain...

Apple could come out with a 10000000 GB ipod touch with all the applications you could ever dream of and you'd still find something to complain about.

my week 37 ipod touch looks a hell of a lot better now... funnily enough, i'm happy about that
I couldn't have agreed more....

.......as for the ipod touch, I hope to snatch one up tomorrow morning!!!
__________________
4GB iPod nano (1st gen) : Sold
16GB iPod touch :
Week 37, 38 and now 39....
pushateg7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 04:31 PM   #23
oily
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogman12 View Post
HOWEVER, those who has GOOD W37 screens will probably not want to install this because it'll try to adjust your screen under the assumption that it is a bad one.
You're making some pretty major assumptions there:

- assuming that the hardware has somehow changed between W37 and W38
- assuming that the new software looks for W37 serial numbers
- assuming that the new software merely changes the brightness/contrast settings to botch the video to look right

Maybe, as suggested above, the software actually calibrates a piece of hardware that wasn't always correctly calibrated from the factory?

That assertion is just as valid, given the evidence available to us.
oily is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 06:02 PM   #24
bogman12
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by oily View Post
You're making some pretty major assumptions there:

- assuming that the hardware has somehow changed between W37 and W38
- assuming that the new software looks for W37 serial numbers
- assuming that the new software merely changes the brightness/contrast settings to botch the video to look right

Maybe, as suggested above, the software actually calibrates a piece of hardware that wasn't always correctly calibrated from the factory?

That assertion is just as valid, given the evidence available to us.
So you're saying the early ipods had firmware with incorrect screen settings which resulted in the negative black? Well that is hard to believe since we saw varying degrees of the negative black on different units. If it was a universal software issue, then everyone should have had the same degree of negative black. Or are you asserting that Apple software developers are so incompetent that the same version of a firmware would exist as multiple instances - each with different screen settings, and that somehow these different instances were randomly loaded onto the early ipods at the factory?

Yeah I think my explanation makes more sense. The randomness of the screen issue was more indicative of poor QC rather than univeral software issue
bogman12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 06:32 PM   #25
oily
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogman12 View Post
So you're saying the early ipods had firmware with incorrect screen settings which resulted in the negative black? Well that is hard to believe since we saw varying degrees of the negative black on different units. If it was a universal software issue, then everyone should have had the same degree of negative black. Or are you asserting that Apple software developers are so incompetent that the same version of a firmware would exist as multiple instances - each with different screen settings, and that somehow these different instances were randomly loaded onto the early ipods at the factory?

Yeah I think my explanation makes more sense. The randomness of the screen issue was more indicative of poor QC rather than univeral software issue
It could be something as simple as not initialising a calibration value in the video hardware. Hence the value just ends up being set by whatever latent charge was in the silicon from when it was manufactured.

Just as plausible, especially given neither of us have any insider knowledge.
oily is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPod Touch 5G: Blue or Black? LadyX iPod touch 21 Sep 24, 2013 11:55 AM
CONFIRMED - iPod touch 5th gen doesn't lay flat on table :/ GoodBoy iPod touch 53 Oct 11, 2012 01:37 PM
iPod Touch Black or Blue Irockgod iPod touch 7 Oct 2, 2012 07:27 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:43 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps