Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nicrose

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 11, 2006
Hi I have a customer's file with a turquoise background with very pale
cream colored text on the top.

When I tried to release the compound path the text loops (letter l, letter e,
letter a, etc.) get filled with the pale color.

I tried to do add before releasing the path to prevent this, but no luck.

Any suggestions?

Also, why does the text look as if it's knocking out the turquoise bg in Ill.
but in InDesign it looks as if it's overprinting?

Even in overprint preview in Both Ill. and ID this is happening.
Every object here is opaque as far as I can tell. I am not entirely sure though.

Nicrose

andy.barron

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2006
Bedford, England
the compound path needs to remain as it is the topermost object knocking throuh the one beneath ( letters e, a and the such).

I'm not sure exactly from your post what you are trying to achieve, but if you try in window/flattener preview it will show any transparent objects etc.

If you want the object to overprint I guess it has been set to this? Also chect the transparent properties of the object.

Hope this has been helpfull

JasonElise1983

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Between a rock and a midget
Yes, i guess i'm wondering why you are releasing the compound path? What are trying to do to it? Anytime, you release a compound path, it releases all compound paths. Letters that have counters or loops, like "a" is already a compound path. All you have to do is after releasing the compound path, select the both parts and then on the pathfinder palette select "subtract foreground" If you have a lot of type to do this to, i would suggest re-evaluating why you want to release the compound path, and if it wouldn't just be easier to re-type the whole thing.

As far as Overprint is conscerned, look in your appearance pallete and see if "Overprint" is on there when you have type selected. If not, try using the direct select tool to select each character individually and look again. I've come accross this problem many times, and it's usually because Overprint is turned on and sometimes it's pretty hard to find out at what level it's turned on in. Anywho, if it's in the appearance pallete, just delete it from there, and you should be good.

Hope that helps.

-JE

nicrose

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 11, 2006
response

Hi,

I got someone from work to help me out. It turned out overprint was turned on in the appearance palette.

I was trying to get the .ai file ready to put in InDesign to make a proof for a customer, and it was showing up with the text overprinting the flooded bg of the label.

You guys were asking what I was trying to do in the first place:
I needed to change the color of the text to white instead of the cream color from before. (Sometimes customers make reverse out text the color of the paper so they can visualize the look. Or they make the bg the color of a label, envelope or letterhead the color of the paper they chose. But they don't realize we prepress designers don't want to see that and will take it out in the proof so the separations come out correctly! Argh.) I was just having trouble selecting the text I wanted and assigning a pantone to that text. What happened is that I'd select the text with the selection tool, then assign the pantone from the swatch palette. But the whole text box would get filled with color. Then I used the direct selection tool instead, but the counters/loops got filled too. I can't even remember how the problem was solved, it's been a few days now....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.