Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Mac Scene

Old Aug 25, 2003, 09:50 PM   #1
Santiago
macrumors regular

iServe Mockup

I put together a fake page showing a hypothetical low-end Apple server I call the iServe. Those of you who like that sort of thing can check it out...
Santiago is offline   0
Old Aug 25, 2003, 10:26 PM   #2
smada
macrumors member

it would seem to me that with the inevitable implementation of G5's into future XServes, the G4 might be a better choice for this low end server's processor than the G3.
Old Aug 25, 2003, 10:43 PM   #3
tazo

Send a message via ICQ to tazo Send a message via AIM to tazo Send a message via Yahoo to tazo
I wouldn't be advertising this page; Apple could sue you for copyright infringement...
tazo is offline   0
Old Aug 25, 2003, 10:55 PM   #4
Mudbug
Administrator emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Mudbug Send a message via Skype™ to Mudbug
Quote:
Originally posted by smada
it would seem to me that with the inevitable implementation of G5's into future XServes, the G4 might be a better choice for this low end server's processor than the G3.
Nah - the server wouldn't have a need for the altivec topper on the chip, so a G3 would actually make a pretty nice server chip. Especially for a home environment. And with the faster G3s on the horizon and the loss of interest of the G4s by moto, then the G3 would make more sense.
Hypothetically speaking, of course

Nice job on the page - it looks good. Not to mention some good ideas in it, like the ibook battery backup for a server... Apple should take a note.
Old Aug 26, 2003, 01:12 PM   #5
hayesk
macrumors 65816

Thumbs up

I'd buy one.
hayesk is offline   0
Old Aug 26, 2003, 01:55 PM   #6
GeeYouEye
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to GeeYouEye Send a message via Yahoo to GeeYouEye
Looks pretty nice. But where on Earth would you put it? It doesn't fit on a rack, and it has a huge footprint for a desktop setting. The only other thing I could think of would be too attach it to the underside of a desk, but then there's AirPort Extreme reception problems. Very nice idea with the battery, but I'd make it thicker and have a huge battery for this kind of thing; unlike a laptop, a server doesn't particularly care how much power it sucks down so long as there's a performance increase. You'd need a bigger battery then as a backup.

Oh, and tazo, mock-ups fall under "parody" rules, so there's no copyright infringement unless he was actually selling this.
Like politics, free speech, computers, entertainment, and more? Join us at Wordforge.net
GeeYouEye is offline   0
Old Aug 26, 2003, 03:33 PM   #7
BrandonRP0123
macrumors regular

Send a message via ICQ to BrandonRP0123 Send a message via AIM to BrandonRP0123 Send a message via Yahoo to BrandonRP0123
I'd buy one - considering if I put something in our data center here, I'd want something smaller than a horizontal power mac g4 (G5s are too tall for sideways mount), and don't want to spend $3000 on an xserve.
BrandonRP0123 is offline   0
Old Aug 26, 2003, 04:00 PM   #8
tazo

Send a message via ICQ to tazo Send a message via AIM to tazo Send a message via Yahoo to tazo
Quote:
Originally posted by GeeYouEye
Looks pretty nice. But where on Earth would you put it? It doesn't fit on a rack, and it has a huge footprint for a desktop setting. The only other thing I could think of would be too attach it to the underside of a desk, but then there's AirPort Extreme reception problems. Very nice idea with the battery, but I'd make it thicker and have a huge battery for this kind of thing; unlike a laptop, a server doesn't particularly care how much power it sucks down so long as there's a performance increase. You'd need a bigger battery then as a backup.

Oh, and tazo, mock-ups fall under "parody" rules, so there's no copyright infringement unless he was actually selling this.
I wasnt talking about the mockup, I was talking about the copying of apple's website code for his mockup page.
tazo is offline   0
Old Aug 29, 2003, 02:27 AM   #9
ibookin'
macrumors 65816

It looks like my iBook with a bigger hard drive, gigabit ethernet, and no screen.

A very nice mockup, by the way. I could see something like this being added to Apple's server line as the XServe starts to gain more momentum.
ibookin' is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Mac Scene