Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sammyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
I just got a new laptop, and would like to sync everything from my iPhone to my new computer.... Anyway to do this? How do I get my contacts off of the iPhone? It seems to only work the other way (computer to iPhone, not iPhone to computer). I don't want to delete the contacts on my phone.

JANK

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2007
i have been wondering the same thing i want to use address book on my macbookpro but dont want to enter all the info in...any help?

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
It does sync both ways. Any contacts or calendar items you add on your phone will by synced back to your computer.

I just got a new laptop, and would like to sync everything from my iPhone to my new computer.... Anyway to do this? How do I get my contacts off of the iPhone? It seems to only work the other way (computer to iPhone, not iPhone to computer). I don't want to delete the contacts on my phone.

I can't say how it will work for you, though, since you are now using a different computer than the one you originally synced too. I would make a copy of all my contacts and calendar events somewhere, if I were you, just in case the phone wants to start over with a new computer

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX

Can't you port the contacts from your old computer to the new one? Just export your contacts file and burn it to a CD. Or if you have an iPod, just enable it as a hard drive and use that to port the contact over. Lastly, copy your contacts up to Yahoo, and copy down to the new computer.

The iPhone wasn't meant to do this, doesn't mean that any of the "old" methods don't still work.

JANK

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2007
the only place where all of my contacts are is in my iphone i use macs @ home and work and never took the time to use address book. so now im faced with copying all of my info in order to enable the syncing.

trying to find a way to do this via bluetooth..any ideas?

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
the only place where all of my contacts are is in my iphone i use macs @ home and work and never took the time to use address book. so now im faced with copying all of my info in order to enable the syncing.

trying to find a way to do this via bluetooth..any ideas?

If you have an iPhone, you have a computer you used to activate it. Just sync your contacts to that computer, then port the contacts over as I suggested above.

No one has an iPhone that exists in isolation.

6ryph3n

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2008
If you have an iPhone, you have a computer you used to activate it. Just sync your contacts to that computer, then port the contacts over as I suggested above.

No one has an iPhone that exists in isolation.

Not true. I activated my iPhone and then sold my iMac, which has now been restored with a clean OSX installation and factory settings. My iPhone has been operating in isolation for over three months on 1.1.3 and I'm stuck without any convenient way to attach it to a new computer. It's my own fault, and it was a horrible oversight on my part when I sold my old computer, but it happened...

iphonenewb

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2008
Help

I have the same issue.. got a new computer. Now i need to backup my contacts from my iphone and it will not let me do it.
Is there a solution?

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
I have the same issue.. got a new computer. Now i need to backup my contacts from my iphone and it will not let me do it.
Is there a solution?

I just switched from PC to Mac. I plugged my iPhone into my Mac "cold", and told it to merge contacts. It did so, and all the contacts on my iPhone are now on my Mac.

iphonenewb

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2008
I just switched from PC to Mac. I plugged my iPhone into my Mac "cold", and told it to merge contacts. It did so, and all the contacts on my iPhone are now on my Mac.

Damn! IS there a way I could do it without having to buy a Mac?
Someone must have a PC solution to it..

iphonenewb

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2008
figured it out with new pc

hey mitch,
i did manage to back up my contacts on the new pc.
installed itunes on the new pc.. and in the iphone sync tabs (contacts) i only checked the sync contacts - configured to outlook express. -
i took the chance, and it did sync with outlook.
i still have my contacts on the iphone and a backup in outlook now
:)

my iphone died a couple weeks ago though.. it slipped out of my hand from less than 2 feet height and now i have what everyone is referring to as a "dead strip" issue. the bottom part of the touch screen does not react to touch. which means i cannot click on the bottom buttons - phone, mail, safari and ipod.
i cant even unlock the phone or 'slide to answer'
is there a solution????

Loonytik

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
Sync to the old file on the old computer. Export the CSV file into the new computer and VIOLA!

iamjiere

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2009
Hi There!

I just switch to mac today and would like to sync contacts from my iphone to my new macbook .. exactly how u experienced here.. but one thing is.. what is Mac "cold" as you mentioned? I'm afraid all contacts in my iphone will disappear if I click sync it in itunes. Please kindly help :)

Shaikah

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2008
Sync iphon

guys i just did synced my iphon to my address book on my :apple:.
but i advice all to back your address book first then do it.
its really easy & can be done from iTunes only >>> for new-bees ;)

yum114

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2009
I was in the same boat you are. took me a little research. download an app from the appstore called "contacts sync" it will be an icon that says "my" you will sit up an account on their database, once done you go to the app and click sync then all of your contacts will be available online!

JReynolds

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2009
Where the Air Force sends me
I was in your exact situation 2 days ago. I plugged in my iphone to my NEW MacBook Pro, opened itunes and it asked if I wanted to merge. I said yes and to my surprise ALL my CONTACTS and BOOKMARKS were on my laptop. It works perfectly.

joalul

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2012
I just migrated from PC to Mac, and it can be done, through iTunes.

First, open your address book on your mac and create a new group (I called mine John's iPhone). Close the address book.

Open iTunes, go to the "Info" tab. Check the box next to "Sync Address Book Contacts" and click "selected groups" and then your iPhone group (mine was John's iPhone).

Below this, check the box next to "Add contacts created outside of groups on this iPhone to:" and make sure the group is your iPhone group (John's iPhone).

Click the Sync button. After it's finished, all your contacts will be in your address book.

Of course, ALWAYS have a backup just in case. Hope this helps...

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
Just set up your iCloud account and it should do everything for you. No "go here" then "go there". Apple makes it easy.

Also: Way to go for resurrecting a dinosaur of a thread.

PaulEtVirgine

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2012
I hope this is the right place to post my question. I am migrating form a very old iPhone from 2007 to to a brand new iPhone. I want to transfer my contacts form the old to the new device. I have two issues which seem hard to overcome:

1. My new laptop's iTunes has a completely different library and has never been synced with my old iPhone

2. My old iPhone does not support iCloud.

I do not want to sync the iPhone to iTunes at any price since the music on it is from some old CDs to which I no longer have access. Suggestions are welcome!

mwenechanga

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2012
still broken after all these years...

I just signed up for a macrumors account specifically so I could respond to this:
Just set up your iCloud account and it should do everything for you. No "go here" then "go there". Apple makes it easy.
horsepucky.

I have an icloud account, but it only has 3 or 4 random contacts that apple chose to upload when I set it up.

I also have the majority of my contacts in my company's exchange account, which is to say, everyone I had on my old phone before I got a 4S except for a handful of people who show up in outlook but not on my phone.

I then used itunes to sync my phone with outlook, which created a third address book on my phone, which contains basically the same people as the exchange server, and is still missing some individuals who I see in outlook.

I want to merge these 3 lists into one and add people via PC and have them actually show up on my unified contact list. When Apple makes it easy as you say, that's what it will look like.

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
I just signed up for a macrumors account specifically so I could respond to this:

horsepucky.

I have an icloud account, but it only has 3 or 4 random contacts that apple chose to upload when I set it up.

I also have the majority of my contacts in my company's exchange account, which is to say, everyone I had on my old phone before I got a 4S except for a handful of people who show up in outlook but not on my phone.

I then used itunes to sync my phone with outlook, which created a third address book on my phone, which contains basically the same people as the exchange server, and is still missing some individuals who I see in outlook.

I want to merge these 3 lists into one and add people via PC and have them actually show up on my unified contact list. When Apple makes it easy as you say, that's what it will look like.

iTunes does make it easy to import contacts. It's readying the contacts beforehand that can make it hard.

Import all of your contacts from your three sources into Outlook. Sort through and eliminate duplicates and make any changes that you see fit.

-Open iTunes.
-Plug in your iPhone.
-Let iTunes finish the automatic sync(if you have this feature turned on).
-Select your iPhone from the side menu.
- Select the Info tab from the top menu. It is typically between the Summary Tab and the Apps tab.
-Check the box that says "Sync Contacts with". Outlook should be the first selection on the drop-down box next to this box.
-Select the option to Sync All contacts.
-Scroll down to the bottom of this screen and select the box that says "Replace Information on this iPhone - Contacts". This will replace the contacts on your iPhone for the next Sync only.
-Click Sync.

mwenechanga

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2012
I merged my contacts to my iPhone!!

iTunes does make it easy to import contacts. It's readying the contacts beforehand that can make it hard.

Import all of your contacts from your three sources into Outlook. Sort through and eliminate duplicates and make any changes that you see fit.
My situation is pretty unique, so I don't know if it'll be helpful to anyone else, but here's what I've done so far:
1. I have a Google apps account through my work, setup to show up as exchange on my iPhone.
2. I have the Google apps sync tool on my PC, which syncs my outlook contacts to my Google account.
3. I cannot install the iCloud sync tool because I have Windows XP (still the most common business OS, so until my clients stop using it...), and the sync tool requires Vista, 7 or 2008. I do have a test server I run 2008 on, so I synced that installation of outlook (hey, it's not a real server) to my iCloud account, then exported the contacts to CSV, copied that over to my PC and imported to outlook.

My Outlook contacts auto-synced to Google, and from there into my Exchange account on my iPhone within a minute. Now everyone is on my iPhone finally, under my Exchange account. I then used Google's "find & merge duplicates" tool to do just that, so everything is beautiful. As long as I never change jobs and give up this email address, of course.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.