Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Some brave souls have tried to update their SIM Unlocked iPhones to 1.1.1 and there appear to have been mixed results.

Jonathan Seff at iPhoneCentral gave it a shot and found that his unlocked iPhone now gives an "Incorrect SIM" error. He even went to an AT&T store who gave him a new SIM and still no luck.

Meanwhile, a few anecdotal reports indicate that some people have been able to successfully upgrade their unlocked iPhone to 1.1.1 without any ill consequences.

At this early stage, we'd recommend people with Unlocked iPhones continue to wait to update while more definitive testing has been done.

Article Link

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
The upside is that if you brick your unlocked iphone (and it is you doing it not apple.) then the replacement cost is $200 cheaper....

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Hrm... I'm wondering what would happen if you ran the update on an iPhone that is unlocked, but using its original AT&T SIM. That's the case I'm in. I unlocked my iPhone so that I could throw in another SIM when I want to, but I use the original AT&T SIM almost exclusively.

Hs anyone with an unlocked iPhone tried running this update with the original AT&T SIM? (I know of one 'bricking' report that tried it with a third-party SIM, and his phone got bricked, so he put an AT&T SIM in, and it was still bricked. So I'm wondering if STARTING with the original AT&T SIM would help?

The phone is not available outside the U.S. at the moment. You're comment makes no sense.

He means that he is someone who purchased a U.S. iPhone, then unlocked it for use in another country. Therefore he has a U.S. phone, unlocked. He has no option whatsoever to use AT&T.

betoverli

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2007
Marlborough, MA
Don't Do it!!

Hrm... I'm wondering what would happen if you ran the update on an iPhone that is unlocked, but using its original AT&T SIM. That's the case I'm in. I unlocked my iPhone so that I could throw in another SIM when I want to, but I use the original AT&T SIM almost exclusively.

Hs anyone with an unlocked iPhone tried running this update with the original AT&T SIM? (I know of one 'bricking' report that tried it with a third-party SIM, and his phone got bricked, so he put an AT&T SIM in, and it was still bricked. So I'm wondering if STARTING with the original AT&T SIM would help?

No! I did it with mine... and is not working !!! AHHHH!!!!!!! Mine is bricked... for good! or, for bad? :)

I went to At&t they switched for another one.... and still not working...

oh gosh!!

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
He means that he is someone who purchased a U.S. iPhone, then unlocked it for use in another country. Therefore he has a U.S. phone, unlocked. He has no option whatsoever to use AT&T.
Fine-print (and it wasn't even in fine print) is there not to just take up space. If you void a warranty what do you expect?

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
The phone is not available outside the U.S. at the moment. You're comment makes no sense.

Apple has no problem whatsoever selling iphones to tourists who show their foreign passports as IDs (since APple requires ID) and since there is no requirement to sign up with ATT on the spot, they can simply take their phones back with them, unlock them and use them happily all over the world.

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
Apple has no problem whatsoever selling iphones to tourists who show their foreign passports as IDs (since APple requires ID) and since there is no requirement to sign up with ATT on the spot, they can simply take their phones back with them, unlock them and use them happily all over the world.

The iPhone requires ATT activation though. Always has.

Can I “unlock” iPhone and use it with another wireless carrier?
AT&T is the exclusive wireless carrier for iPhone in the United States. If you currently use another wireless carrier, you can choose to transfer your number when you activate your AT&T account.

Can I use my iPhone internationally?
iPhone is a quad-band GSM phone and will work around the world. Before you travel, make sure that international dialing and roaming are enabled through AT&T and that the places you’re going offer GSM coverage. Visit AT&T help for more information.

If a person does not read the requirements.....

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
No! I did it with mine... and is not working !!! AHHHH!!!!!!! Mine is bricked... for good! or, for bad? :)

I went to At&t they switched for another one.... and still not working...

oh gosh!!

Okay, so you have an unlocked iPhone, but you tried this update with the original AT&T SIM that came with the iPhone, and it bricked your phone. Then you went to AT&T to get a new SIM, and it still doesn't work, correct?

Damn, it means I'll have to re-lock my iPhone if I want the WiFi store. (I'll probably just wait a couple days to see if there are any reports on reliable ways to get an unlocked iPhone to update, first.)

betoverli

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2007
Marlborough, MA
Okay, so you have an unlocked iPhone, but you tried this update with the original AT&T SIM that came with the iPhone, and it bricked your phone. Then you went to AT&T to get a new SIM, and it still doesn't work, correct?

Damn, it means I'll have to re-lock my iPhone if I want the WiFi store. (I'll probably just wait a couple days to see if there are any reports on reliable ways to get an unlocked iPhone to update, first.)

yes... pretty much.... i am right now on the phone with Apple.... trying to get a replacement.... WOW !

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
The iPhone requires ATT activation though. Always has.
If a person does not read the requirements.....

Let's take at peek at your own quote:
Can I “unlock” iPhone and use it with another wireless carrier?
AT&T is the exclusive wireless carrier for iPhone in the United States.

Emphasis mine.

Apple does not state anywhere that you outright are not allowed to unlock the iPhone for use on an international carrier. Nor does it mention anywhere that activation with AT&T is required for the warranty to remain valid. Why? Because U.S. law prevents them from making such a stipulation. Once a piece of hardware has been purchased, a company may not restrict what can be done with that hardware. They can place limitations on software licenses, but not hardware uses. Therefore, they may not make a software issue cause for denying a hardware warranty.

The trick arises in wether or not unlocking is a "hardware" or a "software" modification. I don't think the status of firmware as hardware or software has ever been tested in court.

neveleven

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2007

I've had an iphone in uk,(open on all networks,) for 3 weeks. Just won't update, seems really simple to me. Am I missing something? ( apart from wi fi itunes and louder speakers, but I think I'll live!

daveporter

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2006
Green Cove Springs, FL
I'm always amazed at the people that try to beat the system and then when their tawdry plans are turned upside down the squeal like crazy...."Its unfair...its unfair."

You knew the rules when you purchased the iPhone...don't cry now because they won't change the rules to suit you. You had a choice.

Well its not unfair its quite just actually.

Dave

Let's take at peek at your own quote:

Emphasis mine.

Apple does not state anywhere that you outright are not allowed to unlock the iPhone for use on an international carrier. Nor does it mention anywhere that activation with AT&T is required for the warranty to remain valid. Why? Because U.S. law prevents them from making such a stipulation. Once a piece of hardware has been purchased, a company may not restrict what can be done with that hardware. They can place limitations on software licenses, but not hardware uses. Therefore, they may not make a software issue cause for denying a hardware warranty.

The trick arises in wether or not unlocking is a "hardware" or a "software" modification. I don't think the status of firmware as hardware or software has ever been tested in court.

I would have to go back and re-read the EULA, however I think that issue was dealt with when you agreed to its terms.

Dave

betoverli

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2007
Marlborough, MA
Apple Did it on porpose

Well... My is bricked... but with it turned on, I can here the Mail.app getting new emails... it's like they know it was unlocked....

I am just telling this, because Apple told yesterday that it wasnt on porpose

m4c1nt05h

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2007
What about accountability?

They warned you about hacking your phone, told you point blank it could brick your phone if you try to update it, yet you still chose to do so ignoring their warnings and then cry when your iphone gets bricked when you tried to update your hacked iphone.

You chose to do all the above. How is apple responsible? And since when is hacking/modding hardware or software ever covered by any warranty by any company? i can't think of any.

btw, you is not literally YOU, i have no idea if you personally hacked your iphone. just trying to make a point.

swagi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
Excuse me. AFAIK you could read it on every Mac related site: Apple issued warnings to all those, who have modified their phone. They explicitly told you, to return it to factory settings prior to the update.

I know you want 3rd party appz, but why have you chosen to be the guinea pig. Why didn't you wait, til the dust settles and the devs have an answer to the update?

So to all brick owners: You knew it, you ignored it. Bad luck!

biggerbearbrian

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2006
That is the exact attitude that I was referring to. This has nothing to do with "my sins" in fact I have none as related to this issue. However, everyone who tries to hack or unlock their iPhone is committing acts that were expressly forbidden by Apple prior to their purchasing the iPhone.

Where has personal integrity and personal responsibility gone in our society? More and more people now seem to live by the motto "I don't care what the rules say or what I agreed to...if I can slack off and get away with it then I'm right." When everyone adopts this attitude, we will live in a cave-man society where the meanest, toughest and most cunning survive and polite, law abiding society fails to exist.

Dave

I take issue with your assertions in this and another string concerning, particularly, iPhone unlocking. Unlocking is exempted from The DMCA. So, even though Apple doesn't like it, or condone it, it is still withing the realm of legality to unlock cell phones across the board. To quote the US Copyright office.

"The underlying activity sought to be performed by the owner of the handset is to allow the handset to do what it was manufactured to do—lawfully connect to any carrier," ... "This is a noninfringing activity by the user... The purpose of the software lock appears to be limited to restricting the owner’s use of the mobile handset to support a business model, rather than to protect access to a copyrighted work itself."

I think it can be debated that Apple dangled the bait out there by not forcing buyers to get a plan PRIOR to buying the iPhone. While hacks, and 3rd party Apps may be a much darker shade of grey; unlocking the phone is not illegal. While it surely breaks the warantee, that really is the iPhone owner's choice, as the individual buyer does in fact own the phone.

Fast Shadow

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2004
Hollywood, CA

It's still not working, people have tried this. If you have an unlocked iPhone, do not apply the 1.1.1 update until some answers can be found.

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
How is apple responsible?

By not releasing an unlocked iPhone in the first lace, as probably everyone except AT&T's board of directors would have liked.

That one decision caused a huge split in Apple's customer base, which has lead to the same opinion-dominated discussions we see over and over again on MacRumors (like the one in this thread that I've just contributed to) and, in turn, lead to Apple being forced to release locked phones in other countries (for fear that unlocked phones would make their way back into the States) and - as a final insult to loyal Apple customers who've salivated over this device and were ready to spend their hard earned money on it - has likely lead to it not being released *AT ALL* in countries that have the good sense to not allow companies to wield the kind of anticompetitive muscle that Apple is now flexing.

That's how.

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
Excuse me. AFAIK you could read it on every Mac related site: Apple issued warnings to all those, who have modified their phone. They explicitly told you, to return it to factory settings prior to the update.

I know you want 3rd party appz, but why have you chosen to be the guinea pig. Why didn't you wait, til the dust settles and the devs have an answer to the update?

So to all brick owners: You knew it, you ignored it. Bad luck!

I assume the 'you' is not directed at me personally? I happily - without any guilt whatsoever - unlocked my iphone so that I could use it on......ATT (very old plan that ATT refused to match today) and with foreign sims. I'm not going to update anything until it is safe, if ever. And I agree, it's a very stupid move to go against all warnings if one has an unlocked phone - very stupid.

By not releasing an unlocked iPhone in the first lace, as probably everyone except AT&T's board of directors would have liked.

That one decision caused a huge split in Apple's customer base, which has lead to the same opinion-dominated discussions we see over and over again on MacRumors (like the one in this thread that I've just contributed to) and, in turn, lead to Apple being forced to release locked phones in other countries (for fear that unlocked phones would make their way back into the States) and - as a final insult to loyal Apple customers who've salivated over this device and were ready to spend their hard earned money on it - has likely lead to it not being released *AT ALL* in countries that have the good sense to not allow companies to wield the kind of anticompetitive muscle that Apple is now flexing.

That's how.

Thank you.

daveporter

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2006
Green Cove Springs, FL
I take issue with your assertions in this and another string concerning, particularly, iPhone unlocking. Unlocking is exempted from The DMCA. So, even though Apple doesn't like it, or condone it, it is still withing the realm of legality to unlock cell phones across the board. To quote the US Copyright office.

"The underlying activity sought to be performed by the owner of the handset is to allow the handset to do what it was manufactured to do—lawfully connect to any carrier," ... "This is a noninfringing activity by the user... The purpose of the software lock appears to be limited to restricting the owner’s use of the mobile handset to support a business model, rather than to protect access to a copyrighted work itself."

I think it can be debated that Apple dangled the bait out there by not forcing buyers to get a plan PRIOR to buying the iPhone. While hacks, and 3rd party Apps may be a much darker shade of grey; unlocking the phone is not illegal. While it surely breaks the warantee, that really is the iPhone owner's choice, as the individual buyer does in fact own the phone.

That is so much misguided logic.

From the very first time I (and you) saw any type of announcement, advertisement, flyer, brochure, web site discussion, or any other official description of the iPhone, Apple made it expressly clear that the iPhone MUST be activated with ATT to be used AT ALL for any purpose. What part of that did you not understand?

You purchased the iPhone with that understanding. Period!

What your now trying to do is find some rational for your choosing to ignore what you clearly knew when you purchased the phone.

There is NO rational excuse for anyone choosing to hack or unlock his/her iPhone. Your warrantee is now voided and you have little or no recourse. That is the penalty one must pay when on ignores an agreement made.

Dave

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.