Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 27, 2007, 05:17 PM   #1
MattyMac
macrumors 68000

iPhone says "Activate iPhone" after update. Anyone else?

After I downloaded and installed the update and the iPhone restarted, it said "Activate iPhone" and then it apparently activated itself and said "iPhone Activated."

I just want to make sure I'm not the only one this happened to and it is standard for the update.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 06:09 PM   #2
Maui

You aren't the only one.
Maui is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 06:13 PM   #3
macxhead
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMac View Post
After I downloaded and installed the update and the iPhone restarted, it said "Activate iPhone" and then it apparently activated itself and said "iPhone Activated."

I just want to make sure I'm not the only one this happened to and it is standard for the update.
No you are not, I had the same thing happen. I called Apple Care & the guy said I was the first call he had about the update today since i just came out barely an hour ago.

Just take out the sim card & put it back in & you should be fine. It will tll you it is activating the iphone for about 1 minute & then good to go.

-Isaac
macxhead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 06:15 PM   #4
VoodooDaddy
macrumors 65816

Any of you a prepaid customer by chance? Do you have to be connected to itunes to activate or is it over the air?
VoodooDaddy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 06:16 PM   #5
overanalyzer
macrumors 6502a

Happened to me too. Reactivated itself automatically without me doing anything and is working perfectly now.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 06:18 PM   #6
macxhead
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooDaddy View Post
Any of you a prepaid customer by chance? Do you have to be connected to itunes to activate or is it over the air?
I am an AT&T customer, non prepaid.

You must be connected to itunes to get the update.

-I
Old Sep 27, 2007, 06:21 PM   #7
VoodooDaddy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by macxhead View Post
I am an AT&T customer, non prepaid.

You must be connected to itunes to get the update.

-I
Im not asking if you have to be connected to itunes to get the update. I was asking if you have to be connected to itunes to activate.
VoodooDaddy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 06:52 PM   #8
macxhead
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooDaddy View Post
Im not asking if you have to be connected to itunes to get the update. I was asking if you have to be connected to itunes to activate.
Sorry, Yes you do have to be connected for any activation.

-I
Old Sep 27, 2007, 06:56 PM   #9
Maui

Quote:
Sorry, Yes you do have to be connected for any activation.

-I
Hmm, I wasn't connected to iTunes when my phone activated. I did the update, got the "you have to activate, this could take a while," message on my iPhone. I took the iPhone and left to get lunch. Somewhere between my house and Wendy's it activated.

Maybe the large chocolate frosty helped.
Maui is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 08:00 PM   #10
ghall
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to ghall
Same thing here. I thought this was normal since this would be my first iPhone update ever. Maybe it deactivates then reactivates to make sure you're using AT&T.
ghall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 08:04 PM   #11
synth3tik
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to synth3tik
I thought the update said your phone will display "activated" when done. I could be wrong.

The crap thing is that like the 1.0.2 update I had to totally restore the phone.
synth3tik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 09:21 PM   #12
MattyMac
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by overanalyzer View Post
Happened to me too. Reactivated itself automatically without me doing anything and is working perfectly now.
Good...same exact thing here. I feel much better! I was thinking that maybe I was gonna be charged another activation fee or something...

Should be good though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
Hmm, I wasn't connected to iTunes when my phone activated. I did the update, got the "you have to activate, this could take a while," message on my iPhone. I took the iPhone and left to get lunch. Somewhere between my house and Wendy's it activated.

Maybe the large chocolate frosty helped.
mmmm...nice. I've been getting the coke frosty float recently. They are goooooood!
Old Sep 27, 2007, 09:35 PM   #13
ivi7
macrumors 6502a

I had the same problem and mine was even worse because I couldn't get it to connect the itunes store and therefore I was stuck.
After I was on the phone with Apple care for over an hour we figured that my Prefernced folder in my user account was screwed up which didn't let my itunes connect to the store which inturn didnt let me "reactivate" my phone.
So finally I deleted my Prefernces folder and that seemed to solve the problem.
So all's well now.
ivi7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 09:37 PM   #14
macxhead
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMac View Post
mmmm...nice. I've been getting the coke frosty float recently. They are goooooood!
Wow it's been a long time since I've been to Wendys, I really want one now!!
Old Sep 27, 2007, 09:49 PM   #15
BamaATL
macrumors member

It did this on prior versions of the firmware when you did a "Restore". It only took a matter of seconds for the activation to complete.
BamaATL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2007, 04:17 AM   #16
MattyMac
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghall View Post
Same thing here. I thought this was normal since this would be my first iPhone update ever. Maybe it deactivates then reactivates to make sure you're using AT&T.

You bring a good point ghall!
Old Sep 28, 2007, 06:21 AM   #17
sanford
macrumors 65816

Quote:
No you are not, I had the same thing happen. I called Apple Care & the guy said I was the first call he had about the update today since i just came out barely an hour ago.

Just take out the sim card & put it back in & you should be fine. It will tll you it is activating the iphone for about 1 minute & then good to go.

-Isaac
The OP is already good to go. It reactivated on its own. My ATT iPhone on contract service reactivated. I think the firmware update reactivated all iPhones, after deactivating them, and only the ones with partner service were able to reactivate. I think this is expected behavior, and some of us saw the process working more than others.

(Just double check your bill, make sure ATT didn't charge for a new activation. They shouldn't, because the activation should have all been a local process of the firmware. But worth checking.)
sanford is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone