Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stonedgrace

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
OK. I got my ringtones or at least one of them back after the update to 1.1.1

What I have going on is running 7.4.0 and I used MakeiPhoneRingTone.

The original hack still worked with 7.4.0 to move the ringtones to the iphone but I could not play them. MakeiPhoneRingTone lets the phone play the ringtone.

So now someone with alot more knowledge than me can get this working in 7.4.1 and higher??

UPDATE-
Ok the only way this works is to do this. First with 7.4.0 use the original method of renaming the ringtone and adding it to itunes.
It will show up under ringtones you can sync it to your phone. It will not play.
Now rename the original file back to .m4a and use MakeiPhoneRingTone. It will add it to iTunes again (there will be 2 in the list)
When you sync your phone again, you will only see the ringtone on your phone once but it will now play.

stonedgrace

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
Has anyone else been able to make this work?

I have added 9 ring tones so far this way

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2003
Well if only I had 7.4.0 :rolleyes:

I hate the default ringers. Matter of fact earlier I missed a call because I didnt even hear it ring. Granted the phone was in the other room, but with my old custom one you couldnt not hear it.

Ya, ya, I can buy one from iTunes. Well, I would if the selection was better. The custom one I had isnt available to be made into a ringtone.

stonedgrace

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007

Bernie-Mac

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Sin City, NV
I cant install it because i already have 7.4.2 installed, if i delete 7.4.2 and install 7.4 will i have to put all my music back onto itunes or will it be all there?

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Just an FYI that with a non-modified/hacked iPhone, when I went to 1.1.1. under iTunes 7.4.1. all my custom, non-iTunes ringtones survived the update and subsequent syncs. I started a new thread with more specifics.

And Bernie-Mac, export your iTunes library prior to deleting 7.4.2. and installing 7.4.0. I don't think Apple has changed the database so you should be able to re-import under 7.4.0.

Worst case, just upgrade back to 7.4.2. and re-import.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
(on a mac) I just downgraded from 7.4.2 to 7.4.0. At first it wouldn't let me install, saying a new version already existed. Then I dragged the iTunes app to the trash and tried again. Worked like a charm. The library was not disturbed in the least.

Bernie-Mac

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Sin City, NV
Cool thanks guys!! i just did what mcdj did and it worked perfectly

:edit: I just tried the method the op posted...worked perfectly as well, thank you for the method

Hmm...yeah only 2 of mine worked out of like 5 but hey 2 free ringtones are better than none

Cinemagic

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2007
You can get more than 2 ringtones, but sometimes you have to work at it a little. Remove the ones not working from the Ringtone library and re-sync. Try soft reset of the iPhone (but probably not necessary). Then make the ringtones again. I've done 3 out or 4 and 1 was a bear to get in. The fourth I'm starting from scratch - that is when I stop reading and posting. :)

As you already found out. You can uninstall 7.4.2 and reinstall 7.4.0 and all your music will still be there. You can also sync to a PC (with the Ringtone sync UNchecked) and not lose your ringtones. (You need a Mac to install the ringtones in the first place, though.)

I'm psyched that it works.

Bernie-Mac

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Sin City, NV
You can get more than 2 ringtones, but sometimes you have to work at it a little. Remove the ones not working from the Ringtone library and re-sync. Try soft reset of the iPhone (but probably not necessary). Then make the ringtones again. I've done 3 out or 4 and 1 was a bear to get in. The fourth I'm starting from scratch - that is when I stop reading and posting. :)

As you already found out. You can uninstall 7.4.2 and reinstall 7.4.0 and all your music will still be there. You can also sync to a PC (with the Ringtone sync UNchecked) and not lose your ringtones. (You need a Mac to install the ringtones in the first place, though.)

I'm psyched that it works.

Oh look at that, yeah i tried removing 2 that didnt work and re-syncing them and it worked! Thanks! One of my ringtones in the ringtones tab is 32 seconds for the first copy and the second copy is 33 seconds :confused: so i guess im going to have to make that one form scratch again, oh well, and yeah im psyched this works too!!

pavvento

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2007
Question: When renaming the file from .m4r to .m4a is that the file located in the ringtones folder in music? When I rename hte file to .m4r and double click it, it auto moves from the folder its in, to the ringtones folder.

I got one to work last night, but can't get any others, and i don't remember what was different about the first one.

FYI here is my process:

I make mp3 into ringtone using audacity. Double click 30 second mp3 ringtone, opens in itunes, and convert to AAC. Delete 30 second AAC and mp3 from itunes but keep files.

Then I open the folder and change the .m4a to .m4r, double click it, and it plays in itunes under the ringtones heading. The files moves from its original folder, into a ringtones folder.

I then go into that folder, change it to .m4a and drag it to makeiPhoneringtone. It copies that and puts it into the ringtone folder. I now have two 30 second clips, clip and clip1 both with a m4a extension.

They both appear on the sync list, but do not sync. When they do sync, they do not play.

Any advice?

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
So you can use rintones with 1.1.1 and itunes 7.4.0

and you can use rintones with 7.4.2 if you have 1.0.2

But you can't use ringtones if you have 1.1.1 and 7.4.2.

This reminds me very much of Batman (the first movie) where perfume alone won't cause the Joker's chemical effect, BUT perfume mixed with hairspray will permanently distort your face.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
So ringtones don't work with 7.4.1 and 1.1.1?

Thanks, though. This was the only problem I had with 1.1.1 - no free ringtones. :)

drm309

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2007
WHAT HAPPENED!?!?

I Had it! I hear the Flock of Seagulls on the phone, and then all of a sudden, i see the file, but no music! WHAT!?!?! I WAS SO CLOSE!!

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
So ringtones don't work with 7.4.1 and 1.1.1?

They do for me (on the Mac), with the proviso that iTunes 7.4.1 sees the ringtones and will sync them to your iPhone before you upgrade to 1.1.1.

There have been some reports that if you try and change your default ringtone or any ringtone assigned to a Contact after upgrading to 1.1.1, it will no longer work.

In my case, I used the ".m4x rename" trick to get them into iTunes and sync them to my iPhone. While I have all the third-party tools to do this for Mac and Windows (iToner, MakeiPhoneRingtones, etc.), I did not use them to get ringtones into iTunes or the iPhone.

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
so what exactly is the proper method to going down to 7.4?

If i copy my entire itunes library on an external HDD, then delete iTunes and then install itunes 7.4 and paste back my music where itunes sets itself, im good?

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
so what exactly is the proper method to going down to 7.4?

If i copy my entire itunes library on an external HDD, then delete iTunes and then install itunes 7.4 and paste back my music where itunes sets itself, im good?

You should not even need to do that much. Just export and save your iTunes database and when you downgrade, just import it back in. The process is well-outlined on Apple's support forums.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.