Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nicco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
Hi, i bought an iPhone and they shipped to me it the 25th of Sept... it's still on it's way to me but i wonder when i will receive it how i will be able to chck the firmware version!

I'm not going to activate it (I don't live in the states) so i will not be able to chect the settings menu to see the version!

thanks
nicco

timmmmyboy

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2007
iTunes tells you the firmware version, but I believe it has to be activated to get to that screen, otherwise iTunes will just try to take you through the process of activation. My guess is that there's a pretty good chance that it's not 1.1.1 considering it was shipped before the software was even released, so you could always unlock it using freely available tools and then see.

zeroMPHfallover

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2007
Is there any way to tell what firmware an iPhone has from the packaging? Anything at all?

A coworker is going to the states soon and picking one up for me, but I'm not sure I'll go through with it if it's preloaded with 1.1.1.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Is there any way to tell what firmware an iPhone has from the packaging? Anything at all?

A coworker is going to the states soon and picking one up for me, but I'm not sure I'll go through with it if it's preloaded with 1.1.1.

I don't believe there is. It will likely be some time until new models have 1.1.1 on them out of the box.

uPhone

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2007
I need yo buy a cpl of iPhones myself.

I'll prolly just ask the store ppl when this shipment arrive or buy Refurbished phone again (I bought 4 they are all perfectly fine) and have it next day delivered. I don't think they will update those iPhones.

Simon1966

macrumors regular
May 23, 2006
United Kingdom
You can check what firmware is preinstalled by going to the emergency call, entering *3001#12345#* then pressing "Call". Under Versions you will find what revision firmware is on the phone out of the box.

03.12.06_G Is firmware 1.0.0
03.14.08_G Is firmware 1.0.1 and 1.02
04.01.13_G Is 1.1.1

This is how i checked my firmware on my unactivated iphone. You firstly turn on phone and then slide to unlock. It will say emergency calls only - enter above number and you will find the serial number!!!!

http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8221

Simon

ladyunlocker

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2007
Check firmware version

Hi, i bought an iPhone and they shipped to me it the 25th of Sept... it's still on it's way to me but i wonder when i will receive it how i will be able to chck the firmware version!

I'm not going to activate it (I don't live in the states) so i will not be able to chect the settings menu to see the version!

thanks
nicco

Type on your phone *3001#12345#* and press call. In version check the firmware # It must say 03.14.08_G. With this version you are going to be able to unlock your phone. (be carefull! don´t upgrade to 1.1.1 version when you connect your phone to itunes). If the firmware version begins with 4 you will not be capable to do that now. Hope it helps you!

zeroMPHfallover

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2007
You can check what firmware is preinstalled by going to the emergency call, entering *3001#12345#* then pressing "Call". Under Versions you will find what revision firmware is on the phone out of the box.

03.12.06_G Is firmware 1.0.0
03.14.08_G Is firmware 1.0.1 and 1.02
04.01.13_G Is 1.1.1

This is how i checked my firmware on my unactivated iphone. You firstly turn on phone and then slide to unlock. It will say emergency calls only - enter above number and you will find the serial number!!!!

http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8221

Simon

Those numbers are the serial numbers of the iPhone?
Is there a way to see the serial number w/o opening the box?
I'll need to be able to tell the firmware version w/o opening the box since I'm getting somebody to buy me a new one from an Apple store...

uPhone

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2007
I don't know if this works but this is what I have heard

The fourth and fifth digits of you iPhone's serial number MUST be 38 or lower. If it's 39, it MAY work.

I think the serial # is written on the box.

b257177

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2007
Those numbers are the serial numbers of the iPhone?
Is there a way to see the serial number w/o opening the box?
I'll need to be able to tell the firmware version w/o opening the box since I'm getting somebody to buy me a new one from an Apple store...

No, those numbers are the firmware version, which you can only get to with the phone in hand. You cannot determine firmware version without opening the box - meaning, you gotta by it first.

zeroMPHfallover

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2007
No, those numbers are the firmware version, which you can only get to with the phone in hand. You cannot determine firmware version without opening the box - meaning, you gotta by it first.

Ahh, ok.
Well, either way, it seems that unlocking a 1.1.1 is right around the corner, so I should be ok!

iamiphone.ca

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2007
Confirm firmware on box

Hey guys - Just an observation - out of 20 phones I just received today:

All serial numbers (4th and fifth digit) being 38 or lower were version 3.12 or 3.14

I had 4 phones with the forth & fifth digit being 39 - ALL were at 1.1.1

Hope this helps

iamiphone.ca

Patchfoo

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2007
Hey guys - Just an observation - out of 20 phones I just received today:

All serial numbers (4th and fifth digit) being 38 or lower were version 3.12 or 3.14

I had 4 phones with the forth & fifth digit being 39 - ALL were at 1.1.1

Hope this helps

iamiphone.ca

Thanks for the bulk information. But what do you mean by 3.12 or 3.14? Do you mean 1.0.2? I am lost.

iamiphone.ca

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2007
sorry - I meant the baseband - 38 and under are 1.0.2 or lower - 39 and over are 1.1.1

*** update - I have ONE phone at 38 that is 1.1.1 - So you should be fine at 38 - to be safe 37 and under - Looks like 38/39 is where things changed

ok - lets just kill the whole 38 or lower thing :(

I just received 15 phones with 39 for serial - ALL 15 were 3.14

iamiphone.ca

mozomo

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2007
Firmware recognition gamble thru Serial # on the box of iPhone

ok - lets just kill the whole 38 or lower thing :(

I just received 15 phones with 39 for serial - ALL 15 were 3.14

iamiphone.ca

Dear iamiPhone.ca,

What you mean is if I buy any iPhone with serial # (4th and fifth digit) being 37 or lower then I am safe and will be able to unlock the iPhones and use the same in India / Singapore?!

Kindly confirm this...

FUrther when will some1 Unlock 1.1.1 sucessfully!?! Geo Hot? Imran Sayed? DVD John ?! or a New hero?!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.