Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Sep 28, 2007, 10:12 AM   #1
mbopy22
macrumors 6502

Start up disk full

Hi, I just got a message saying that my Startup Disk is full and that I should delete some files.

How can I solve this? which type of files? is there a way to clean up enough to make my computer run fast again... latelly it is to slow specially when waking up...
Sony HSDC 50
mbopy22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2007, 10:18 AM   #2
wordmunger
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbopy22 View Post
Hi, I just got a message saying that my Startup Disk is full and that I should delete some files.

How can I solve this? which type of files? is there a way to clean up enough to make my computer run fast again... latelly it is to slow specially when waking up...
If you haven't emptied your trash for a while, start with that. That should clear up some space.

The next place to try to save space is applications you never use. Drag into trash and empty.

You should be able to get a GB or so -- maybe even more -- just doing that.

Next, open your hard drive in list view. Right click on the window and select "show view options." Then choose "calculate all sizes."

This will show you which folders are taking the most room. You can figure out what you need to delete in order to save space.
wordmunger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2007, 10:20 AM   #3
Mitthrawnuruodo

It's time to move things to external drives, burn stuff to CD/DVD and/or delete.

I'd start with deleting whatever you don't need. Garageband Loop and iDVD themes could be a place to start, if you don't use either application.

There are some apps theat can help you locate big folders and files on your Mac, I prefer OmniDiskSweeper (which have free one-day licenses available on Omni's page).
Old Sep 28, 2007, 10:23 AM   #4
dcv
macrumors 601

I had the same problem recently - my disk actually got down to 0 bytes free and I had nothing in the trash!

Download a copy of WhatSize - this will tell you what's taking up the most space on your hard disk. In my case, one of my log files had grown to 9GB!!
Old Sep 28, 2007, 10:28 AM   #5
Father Jack
macrumors 68020

Send a message via Skype™ to Father Jack
I know lots of Mac users advise against a reformat and reinstall of the OS. but personally I would back up all the data files and make sure you have all the software disks and then do an "Erase and install"

It's nice to clear out unwanted junk and essentially have a new computer ..

ps Sorry .. As a former PC user, old habits die hard.
Ireland
2.66 GHz Mac Pro with 12 Gb ram + 30" Dell.

Last edited by Father Jack; Sep 28, 2007 at 10:30 AM. Reason: added a PS
Father Jack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2007, 10:36 AM   #6
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Jack View Post
I know lots of Mac users advise against a reformat and reinstall of the OS. but personally I would back up all the data files and make sure you have all the software disks and then do an "Erase and install"

It's nice to clear out unwanted junk and essentially have a new computer ..

ps Sorry .. As a former PC user, old habits die hard.
I can't really agree more. Again, while OS X isn't Windows, there is still some work you have to do there. I would start with getting an external drive (that is never a bad idea) and backing stuff up. Once you've done that I'd go ahead and get Super Duper so you can back up your drive after you've moved some of the unnecessary files off of it.

I keep my music on an external as well as my iPod in the event I am mobile and need music in a hotel room or something like that. I also tend to keep photos on the external and CDs. I think you should start there and just be consistent, or as consistent as possible.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2007, 12:36 PM   #7
mbopy22
macrumors 6502

OK thanks.. I'll start by deleting my trash from iphoto... I just realized I had like 268 pictures there...
Sony HSDC 50
Old Sep 28, 2007, 02:08 PM   #8
mbopy22
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcv View Post
I had the same problem recently - my disk actually got down to 0 bytes free and I had nothing in the trash!

Download a copy of WhatSize - this will tell you what's taking up the most space on your hard disk. In my case, one of my log files had grown to 9GB!!
THANKS great App, I've free 8GB of useless stuff, but I found this thing within the system windowserver_list.log it has 4.1GB, and everytime I try to open it, the command app will crash. What would happen if I just trash this log???

BTW I also have mainmenu, and I just ran a deap clen cache, browser cache clen, browser history, scripts maintanence, permissions repair, etc. And now my cute iBook is running again...

thanks.
Sony HSDC 50
Old Sep 28, 2007, 03:39 PM   #9
dcv
macrumors 601

Quote:
THANKS great App, I've free 8GB of useless stuff, but I found this thing within the system windowserver_list.log it has 4.1GB, and everytime I try to open it, the command app will crash. What would happen if I just trash this log???
Haha, snap!

/private/var/log/windowserver_last.log is the file that grew to over 9GB on my PowerBook. Yes you can delete this but you'll probably find you won't be able to just drag it to trash; you'll need to remove it via Terminal.
Old Sep 29, 2007, 10:51 AM   #10
mbopy22
macrumors 6502

how do I do that???
Sony HSDC 50
Old Sep 29, 2007, 11:13 AM   #11
mbopy22
macrumors 6502

Damn I just opened that private/var/log/windowserver_last.log throug finder, sent it to trash, trashed, but it still appears when I ran whatsize... and now I can find it anywhere... how do I get rid of this 4GB????
Sony HSDC 50
Old Sep 29, 2007, 11:17 AM   #12
mbopy22
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Damn I just opened that private/var/log/windowserver_last.log throug finder, sent it to trash, trashed, but it still appears when I ran whatsize... and now I can find it anywhere... how do I get rid of this 4GB????
Correction!!!!! I just ran whatsize again and that crap is out of the loop... whooooo hooooo 14.6GB FREE

Yes yes, I know... and iPod has more room, but... let me be happy for a couple of seconds... LOL
Sony HSDC 50
Old Jul 29, 2009, 12:52 PM   #13
LisaC1212
macrumors newbie

56G freed up

I must hold the record of freeing up 57G from users/name/library/preferences/scr

what are these screen prints for and how do you turn off mac from saving screen prints?
LisaC1212 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help