Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swwack91

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2007
New Jersey
So in iTunes when syncing an iPod there's that colored bar on the lower side of the screen. Audio, Video, Photos, Etc....

but what does the "Other" comprise of?

JackRipper

macrumors regular
May 14, 2002
South Carolina
I've wondered this myself.

I don't know for sure, but I think it's the downloaded album art (not embedded, like you get when you tell iTunes to get your album art), iCal events, and iPod games.

swwack91

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2007
New Jersey
yeah i was thinking art, software, thumbnails, menu items...

little things like that but i'm noticing that it's growing as i add more media to my iPod.

fabianjj

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2007
yeah what is that? It's probably just album covers and stuff, because I've got 250+ albums that i've grabbed cover art myself, and when i tell iTunes to display album cover on my iPod, the "other" graph gets a lot bigger

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
The "Other" part of the capacity chart comprises of software, games, album artwork, podcasts (I think) and basically anything that's not music, videos or photos.

watcher2001

macrumors 6502a
What is other????

Well just for fun I unchecked the "Display album artwork on your iPod" and synched it up. Made no difference to the "Other" section of the display. The part that worries me is that it is currently at 4.53GB on a 60GB 4th gen ipod photo. I have no pictures, no games, no contacts... Just music. I am half tempted to format and resynch and see if that makes a difference. Any one else have ideas?

Gundampilotspaz

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2006
It's for data that itunes can't read. If you use your ipod as harddrive and load data onto it, for example, that shows up in other. I have a back up (or had) of all my drafts and notes (I'm a writer), and the fact that the iphone can't do that is something that upsets me greatly,.

watcher2001

macrumors 6502a
It's for data that itunes can't read. If you use your ipod as harddrive and load data onto it, for example, that shows up in other. I have a back up (or had) of all my drafts and notes (I'm a writer), and the fact that the iphone can't do that is something that upsets me greatly,.

I don't use mine as data storage tho. The funny thing is this. I had 4.53 GB of other showing on my iPod. I removed the artwork and it did not change. Now however when I add the artwork back it is now up to 4.74GB. I am at a total loss. As soon as this sync finishes I am going to wipe it and start all over.

xkRoWx

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2007
Canada
The "Others" might also included the iPod system files. Without these configuration files, the iPod is just a piece of hardware, hence you can never have exactly XX GB of storage as advertised.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2002
ahhhh.... i just realized the "other" was files that I added through the finder... "enable disk use"...

30 gigs explained!

r.

MncM

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2010
help

okay so i just resynced my ipod completely..
so i got a new computer, and just downloaded itunes and imported all my songs from an ext. harddrive..
so ive got 20,5 GB of songs ... and 24,2 GB (!!!!!!) of 'other' ..

so like.. i doubt restoring will help, seen as i just resynced it 10mins ago:(..

gloosniffur

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2010
So today I had to restore my 160GB iPod. Before this, my "other" was nowhere near as large as it is now. I went into Terminal and checked things and came up with this:

Artwork: 372M
Notes: 16K
Calendars: 160K
Contacts: 1.0M

And I only have the original 3 games on there. There are some music videos but no books. Photos are less than 1GB

My question is, if that is all the space being used up by these things, why is my "other" at 40.35GB and my music at 39.16GB? Seems a bit ridiculous to me

Update: Previous sync crashed and I think the files were not trashed correctly. Re-restored and things are going, seemingly, okay. Still a large amount of "other" but I do have a lot of music on there. Looks t be around 500-600MB this time.

Last edited:

gloosniffur

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2010
So apparently there is actually a problem. If anyone knows of a thread with the answer in it please help. After the iPod syncs up, when it is unplugged, all music and videos go away and turn orange. Claiming that there is no music on there at all. No wonder there seemed to be so much "other"

mackatee

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2011
Might help....

First time forum-er guys, so sorry if I break the etiquette.

I had the exact same problem, and previously I had used my iPod as an external drive storage. Of course, I've since deleted all those files, so there weren't any.

However, I do find that with any external drive, deleting the files (ie moving to trash - I'm a mac user), doesn't actually clear up any space. I have to have the external drive physically plugged in when I choose "Empty Trash".

Tried that, and viola, my "other" category has returned from the menacing 6GB to nothing.

Thanks for your help, hope this helps out someone else.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
I find the other part comprises of both the OS and my podcasts mostly it's possible there is album art and other system files in their too. I think overtime a lot of junk can build up in the other section so it may be worth restoring once in a while to clean it up.

jameslthrp

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2012
Nonsense.

28inpfb.jpg

How about this. My 32gb iPod video.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.