Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

300ZX

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2005
I bought another 1GB stick to put in it the other day. I followed the directions, but I had some troubles. It said to "insert and push up". I figured this would just be like a laptop and it would click no problem.

I pushed it in and could feel it start to seat, so I assumed I needed to seat it, then push it up. The RAM completely seated, but I never heard a click. I pushed pretty hard trying to get it to click, then again to verify it went in all the way.

I was unable to get the RAM to eject by pulling on the tab. Everything I've been reading says the RAM will just jump out; however, mine is completely stuck. This isn't a HUGE deal, since OS X recognizes the RAM and the computer works fine. I am just a little curious as to why it got stuck in there.

ANYONE else have this problem or have any suggestions?

EDIT: Seems I'm not the only one with this problem - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glki-cEICpo

imacan

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, Canada
ANYONE else have this problem or have any suggestions?

EDIT: Seems I'm not the only one with this problem - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glki-cEICpo

It was very hard to get the memory out for me too (almost gave up) until I tried not pulling on the tab straight but by wiggling it (pulling left wright left wright ...), it then came out easily. I don't know if it's the solution for everyone though.

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
It was very hard to get the memory out for me too (almost gave up) until I tried not pulling on the tab straight but by wiggling it (pulling left wright left wright ...), it then came out easily. I don't know if it's the solution for everyone though.

Same here.. I did the same thing. The tabs dont seem to work at all. But some gentle wiggling got it out ok.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Don't use tools on the RAM, you will damage it and void the warranty.
There seems to be a known problem with some iMac and MacBook sockets. In addition, the third-party RAM may be marginally thicker than Apple's, and therefore tighter.

Take it to an Apple service provider if you need to get it extracted and can't with finger power alone.

Italchef

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2003
Maple, Ontario
I just pulled the tab on the original RAM and it popped out onto my lap. The new RAM I pushed straight in with a thumb on each end. I didn't push up or anything and didn't feel a click. The computer recognizes the RAM but is it possible that its not seated properly?

Mick

Trent Batson

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2012
How I got the RAM out of iMac 21.5 " 4 slots

The RAM is hard to get out -- pulling the tabs "gently" does not work. The chip is lodged in a multi-pin port, so can get stuck; the port, or slot, has a tight grip (as it should). If you are replacing the RAM in the machine, you will be throwing out your old chips anyway, so I just used a screwdriver to jostle the chip and then it came out of its slot. No damage from pushing on each side of the chip to loosen it. Putting in the new memory was just as hard -- I have four slots, and four memory chips. I was afraid I would puncture my thumbs I had to push so hard to get the new chips in. Conclusion: the grip in the memory slot is so tight that it is hard to get old chips out and equally hard to get them in.

Once I had jostled the old chips, the tabs did work to pull them out. My screwdriver method took 3 minutes, not 30. The YouTube video included in this thread featured using a screwdriver to loosen the chips. I followed that advice.

Cheers
Trent

chomputer

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2013
Stan,

I hope you realize that this is nearly 2014 and still relevant today. Your comment offered no help when clearly there are plenty of frustrated people upgrading memory on various iMacs still in use.

Apple hardware tends to last for many years with what purports to be a simple upgrade. This is not always the case now is it?!

Carry on old chap and stay off my lawn.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.