Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Done-on-a-Mac

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2006
Hi all!

Specs:
OSX 10.4.10 (latest updates)
iMac G3 333 Rev. D Lime
512MB RAM - Max
6MB VRAM
120 GB HD - Partitioned (1st partition 7 GB with 10.4.10, 2nd partition 105 GB empty)

I was given this machine & wanted to breath new life into a classic Mac. It will be a casual gaming, internet, word processing, & music machine. No movies or intensive games. I have my iMac G5 for that stuff. It is mainly for my younger cousins, that can't get Macs or are PC indoctrinated, to have fun on when they visit.

The partition with OSX on it only has ~3.5 GB left on it. That is due to OSX not loading up if the part that OSX resides on is over 8GB in size.

I already shut down Dashboard & Spotlight to gain some performance, but I need to trim the fat so I can get more room on the partition that has OSX installed. I have not installed any other software at this point.

What I'm asking:

Can I delete apps that I don't use (Mail, iSync) safely? What cannot be deleted? I already used Monolingual to delete 500MB. I also deleted the backgrounds & screensavers (kept Flurry). Is there anymore I can get rid of? I use iPhoto & iTunes but got rid of iDVD(No DVD Drive) iMovie HD & Garage Band. I kept the printer drivers for Canon, Epson & HP but got rid of everything else.

Short of buying a processor upgrade is there any more performance enhancing options that are available? Any scripts available? Anything else I can turn off?

Thanks for any help!

Scott

FJ218700

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2007
Blue Dot, Red State
if you aren't going to use dashboard, delete the actual widgets from the system and user libraries. Also check the "application support" folders in the libraries to make sure that there are no large files left behind by the deleted apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.