Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pvp803

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Washington, DC
do you think Leopard will run comfortably on a G4 1Ghz 1gb ram powerbook? i read somewhere Apple set the requirements at 1Ghz processor minimum. i'm concerned the new flashy desktop will slow down the entire powerbook and make the upgrade not worth it.

McBob

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2007
Wales
Same Same

Hey im running the same set up as you just with the 1.33ghz model. I suspect you should be okay with leopard considering the general architecture isn't that far from tiger which im assuming runs great as it does with me!

The only time the old Powerbook is going to struggle is when 10.6 hits the shelves (if its still ticking over by then that is). Especially if it drops PPC support as some rumours are suggesting, although if 10.6 is to be the last version in the os X series i dont see why Apple would do this.

Robxx

DaveTheGrey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2003
I thought they raised the min clock speed to 867MHz?

according to another thread, apple did that.

@pvp803
i would wait till leopard is released a check the forums again.
Eyecandy could be a problem (e.g. watereffect in dashboard)
But perhaps Apple will turn off features like that in mac with low specs.
just my 2 cents...

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
Tiger became sluggish on my Al 12" 867mhz as the updates mounted. I'm sure that Leopard will be usable on an older G4 but you'll likely see some sluggishness and lots of spinning rainbow wheels.

FJ218700

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2007
Blue Dot, Red State
The first builds were capable of running on all G4's. One guy I talked to had it on his cube and said it was as quick as Tiger. I'd love to introduce my TiBook to Leopard.

So, I've upped the processor in my Sawtooth from 500 MHz to a dual 1300. Does anyone know if I'm going to have a problem with the retail Leopard install on that system?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.