Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fredsherbet

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Hertford, England
I'm a convert from winamp and love iTunes... except! lol

if i double click a song to start playing it, how do i start queuing up what songs i'd like to play next?

I know, there's party shuffle, or i should have clicked and dragged the song to make a playlist, rather than just diving in and playing it... but i've started it playing, and don't want to restart (or start again and navigate half way through) i just want to start queuing up songs :p anyone know how to do this???

Cheers!
Fred

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
I'm a convert from winamp and love iTunes... except! lol

if i double click a song to start playing it, how do i start queuing up what songs i'd like to play next?

I know, there's party shuffle, or i should have clicked and dragged the song to make a playlist, rather than just diving in and playing it... but i've started it playing, and don't want to restart (or start again and navigate half way through) i just want to start queuing up songs :p anyone know how to do this???

Cheers!
Fred

Smart playlists are probably worth looking into. You can do some useful stuff with them. But your only option is to make a playlist of some sort.

fredsherbet

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Hertford, England
yeah, i've mastered most of what iTunes has to offer (as far as i know) and smart playlists are very cool... i just really miss the 'now playing list' found in most other mp3 players. Once you've gotten used to that interface it's difficult to get used to not having it... i guess i mustn't just start playing stuff in the main library if i'm not planning on listening to the rest of the album or whatever.

fredsherbet

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Hertford, England
I reckon the best solution would be if when you dragged the currently playing song to create a new playlist, it played from there (rather than in the library) such that adding more songs to the playlist it played them next.

Perhaps holding a modifier key while adding it to the playlist would move the playing 'marker' with it...

fredsherbet

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Hertford, England
Well I've sent feedback:
Fred on Apple Feedback said:
I, as many others, have switched to iTunes from other media players, such as winamp. I love iTunes so much that i recently bought an iPod to complete the experience :) but i really miss the now playing list present in most players.

I understand why you'd get rid of it, since it clutters the interface, and in some senses is less intuitive... particularly on the limited interface of an iPod.

The thing I miss most is if i'm listening to music and decide I'd like to listen to something else next... but I don't want to interrupt my listening now, just queue up what i'd like next. This is fine in playlists, just add whatever i want to the playlist, but from the library I can't find a way round it. What I think a good solution would be, would to be able to create a new playlist with the currently playing track, and the playing marker would move with the track to the new playlist. Then i can queue up whatever i want, without stopping the music or waiting for the end of the track :D

This could be a contextual menu option, or a modifier key when clicking and dragging the track to create a new playlist.

Thanks for considering!

so if you would like to see this feature please show your support!

Cheers,
Fred

soveet

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2009
A pretty late reply.. but if u r still reading this post..

i dont know about earier versions.. but the latest itunes has this itunes dj option (renamed from party shuffle)
whenever u start playing a song, right click on it n select "play in itunes dj".. this starts your now playing list.. now whichever song you want next, simply right click on that n select "play next in itunes dj"

i hope this clears out any doubts on the capability of itunes. :apple:;):apple:

coops

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009

i dont know about earier versions.. but the latest itunes has this itunes dj option (renamed from party shuffle)
whenever u start playing a song, right click on it n select "play in itunes dj".. this starts your now playing list.. now whichever song you want next, simply right click on that n select "play next in itunes dj"

Well, just in time.... i'd just been trying out itunes on my new macbook (ex sony windows and media monkey user) and was rummaging around for some kind of 'now playing' list - not a playlist. Every other media player i've ever seen show a queue of what you're playing and allows you to modify it as you wish - and any half decent software will allow you to set defaults so that double click on any song in your library will add to the list (at end or next, your choice). Seemed like itunes always needed some playlist for this... weird.

So, now with the dj you can ask to play it next. Great. No option to put the song at the END of the queued up songs though, as a default setting, and can you browse your music while seeing the now playing list (dj)?

On the other hand - downloaded Songbird and installed it. First, it tells you you can bring your music into itunes (ie copy it all over form your other music folder - why?.... ) or just leave your music folder as is and scan the tracks for all the media (just like very other yadda yadda yadda...!).
Quickly found an add-on for a now playing list that does all the OP asked for (add next or at end etc) and also shows by default the now playing items as a list in a pane to the right, with your music library still visible and easily accessible on the other panes....

Maybe i'm missing something with Itunes.... but for 'easy to use' seems a bit funky to me - maybe too many years with windows!

Coops

hollerz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Durham, UK
So, now with the dj you can ask to play it next. Great. No option to put the song at the END of the queued up songs though, as a default setting, and can you browse your music while seeing the now playing list (dj)?

"Add to iTunes DJ" will put it at the end, "Play Next in iTunes DJ" will play it next.

Double clicking iTunes DJ will open it in a new window.

josha

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2010

I was gonna say that ^ also if you have an iPad/Pod/Phone and a wifi connection you can use the DJ feature on your device and not even have to select the songs on your computer... great for parties cause other people can do it to!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.