Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Oct 1, 2007, 07:42 AM   #1
maestrokev
macrumors 6502a

Any Yojimbo users ever lose database?

Hi, just reading up on Yojimbo and based on the positive comments on MR, I downloaded the demo to try. Love the .Mac syncing as I have multiple Macs.

The only concern I have is whether after I've imported my various PDF/documents etc into Yojimbo I should delete the original and keep only one copy in the Yojimbo database. I have over 1GB in PDF files right now.

What I'm worried about is if the database ever becomes corrupted all my files would be gone.

Anyone been using Yojimbo for a while and has a large database (over 100MB) and can put my fears at rest?

Thanks.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 07:52 AM   #2
M@lew
macrumors 68000

Does Yojimbo store the whole PDF? I thought it only referenced the location? Or do you mean copying it so it's readable in Yojimbo? Each "entry" seems to be only around 300kb and my Yojimbo "database" is only around 22mb. That being said I don't have that many PDF's stored in it.

I wouldn't delete the original PDF anyway as it's not THAT big and should it become to a size where you find it taking up too much room, why not back them up on an external instead?
M@lew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2007, 08:34 AM   #3
maestrokev
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by M@lew View Post
Does Yojimbo store the whole PDF? I thought it only referenced the location? Or do you mean copying it so it's readable in Yojimbo? Each "entry" seems to be only around 300kb and my Yojimbo "database" is only around 22mb. That being said I don't have that many PDF's stored in it.

I wouldn't delete the original PDF anyway as it's not THAT big and should it become to a size where you find it taking up too much room, why not back them up on an external instead?
According to Yojimbo's FAQ:
Yojimbo always copies your data into its database, leaving the original unaffected. So, after adding a file (or folder full of files) to Yojimbo, modifying or deleting the originals will not affect the data stored in Yojimbo.

Likewise, any changes you make to the data stored in Yojimbo will not affect the original file.

Looks like it is saved in database. I might have to backup externally. I was hoping the database is robust and I don't have to worry about keeping duplicates.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 08:36 AM   #4
M@lew
macrumors 68000

I haven't had Yojimbo crash on me once but I guess backing up would be the best option if it was something you couldn't recover easily.
M@lew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2008, 05:17 PM   #5
mathan1234
macrumors newbie

.Mac

That's exactly why I back up my Yojimbo database with .Mac, Mozy, Time Machine, and it's included in my once per month image backup.

I'm anal because I lost all of my data about a year ago!

Yojimbo is an amazing application, it's slowly accumulating the contents of my brain.
mathan1234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store