Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac12345

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I have just purchased a Mac Pro 2.0 standard configuration from the UK apple refurb store.

I got it home and set it all up and ran all the system updates.

When It came to the firmware update all went fine but the cd drawer was stuck and did not eject when finished.

After I restarted the system i tried to eject the cd drawer again but it would not come out and the piece of plastic which comes down before the drive ejects is clearly stuck.

On Closer inspection there is a screw which is loose and has become jamed and broken the plastic mechanism.

aaahhhh!

so what do I do and what can I expect?

Obviously I will call apple tomorrow morning, but should I be after a new machine, or will they expect to fix this one and give it back to me?

empezar

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2006
of course they will fix it for you

why would you want a new machine though if it's just the screw that is wrong with the machine? it's totally fixable.

CRAZYBUBBA

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
Toronto/Houston
of course, its not like the genius who put his masterpeice together couldn't have forgotten to screw on the logic board properly right?

mac12345 do not accept something that is less than perfect. You paid good money for a top computer and you should expect nothing less, refubished or otherwise.

of course they will fix it for you

why would you want a new machine though if it's just the screw that is wrong with the machine? it's totally fixable.

Mac12345

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
It is just a pain as i don't want to be without a computer.

Also I don't have a car so had to pay for a taxi to get it home from the office where it was delivered.

I had hoped that because:

"it undergoes a rigorous refurbishment process to make sure it's up to Apple's tough quality standards."

..that it might be a bit better.

In some ways it should be better than a new model as it should have been checked more thoroughly that one just straight out of the factory?

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
It is just a pain as i don't want to be without a computer.

Also I don't have a car so had to pay for a taxi to get it home from the office where it was delivered.

I had hoped that because:

"it undergoes a rigorous refurbishment process to make sure it's up to Apple's tough quality standards."

..that it might be a bit better.

In some ways it should be better than a new model as it should have been checked more thoroughly that one just straight out of the factory?

From my experience with refurbs from Apple, I would say people read way to much in that line about rigorous refurbishing.

My refurb iMac was not only cracked, but was also extremely dirty and looked like it had been in the mud.

Surely, a quick glance would have revealed all that grime.

I think that it is more likely that refurbs come into the building, and are quickly checked and shoved into a box in whatever condition they are presently in if they don't quickly find an issue.

I had to spend about an hour cleaning the grime from my system when it arrived. And, then it still had physical defects / damage. And, it even had operational defects that required me to bring it in for immediate service (needed a new logic board).

So, I think your odds are better with a new system. A refurb is just hoping that they fixed someone else's problem before passing it on to you. And, if they didn't, then it just means you'll go through returning it like the last guy.

Sure, you can save some money. But, you have to decide up-front whether the money saved is worth the gamble.

I gambled and lost. Some have gotten good deals. But, all I got was a beat-up and ugly system that was eventually repaired but was then in a constant state of failure as the machine's components repeatedly failed and required almost weekly trips to the shop.

Eventually, the local shop was so busy that they couldn't even take the machine in. So, they told me to call back in a couple of months. So, it really wasn't a great experience.

Apple was absolutely no help on the phone. Of course, when I called to speak with them, their own systems were down (really comforting), so they couldn't do anything. But, in other conversations with them, I was basically referred to the local shop if I wanted anything but a paperweight.

So, to me, I say buy refurb if price is more important. Buy new if you want something that looks new.

The risk of getting a dud is about the same either way I think. But, the risk of getting something that is damaged is probably greater with a refurb. After-all, you're going to be inheriting someone else's problems and the machine in whatever physical condition it was in when they sent it back.

If they took care of the computer, then it will probably look nice. If they were hard on it, then the machine may not look so nice.

Mac12345

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Well after a long conversation with apple yesterday they did tell me to take it to the local shop, where it would take 10-14 days to be looked at.

Or I could send it back for a full refund, but It would take two weeks to get my money back.

So I thought this is not a big issue so attacked it will my screwdrivers last night. I 95% mended the faulty slot but moved the cd drive down to the lower slot to be safe.

As for cosmetic condition the unit is in 'as new' condition as far as I can tell.

I may get the top slot properly fixed when I can cope with the machine being away for a while, all in all not the end of the world.

stimpycat

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2007
flyinmac, if you pout up with a cracked computer that looked like it had been dragged through mud that's your loss I am afraid.

There is no way I would settle for a machine that is as you described. I'd have taken photos, put it back in the box and made a serious complaint.

I brought a refurb macPro which hadn't even been opened - it even came with original packaging which I thought didn't happen.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
flyinmac, if you pout up with a cracked computer that looked like it had been dragged through mud that's your loss I am afraid.

There is no way I would settle for a machine that is as you described. I'd have taken photos, put it back in the box and made a serious complaint.

I brought a refurb macPro which hadn't even been opened - it even came with original packaging which I thought didn't happen.

Well, as mentioned, it went in for service. And, they saw it right after I got it out of the box since it was immediately in for service.

On the phone, Apple said no.

In person at the store, I was told it's cosmetic and Apple won't do anything about it.

After a few months (and repeated complaining), they did eventually get all the cosmetic stuff repaired. Not Apple, but the local service center. Apple wouldn't do it. The local service center finally agreed to open a ticket on it, but it took some talking and such to get it done. But, the rest of the computer was still unreliable and was always in the shop for repairs. With the exception of the iMac that preceded this system, I had never seen so many failures in one computer.

The problem with Apple is that they are very determined to stick to their policies that save them money. Cosmetic issues are one of the first barriers. Lots of people have been denied repairs for cosmetic issues even on brand new machines. Several people went through that issue with the first generation of Mac Book Pros. They arrived with loose panels and dents but were denied repairs because the computer still worked (so the issue was "cosmetic").

The problem, is that when Apple says no, they mean no, and they rarely change their mind. I went through the same ordeal with a new iPod Nano (first generation) that arrived with cosmetic issues (they never did make right on that one).

When they say no, it's like arguing with a brick wall. You're basically wasting your breath.

I've spent a lot of time arguing with Apple. Their customer service pretty much stinks compared to every other company I've ever dealt with.

Frankly, if the only service I could get was from Apple, I'd avoid the Macs like the plague. Fortunately, there are two local service places that are not owned by Apple. So, I can at least get decent service from one of them. If it weren't for them, I'd steer clear altogether. Apple has been nothing but a wall when I've tried to get any help directly.

Fortunately, the only Macs I've had trouble with have been iMacs. So, as long as I avoid those, I can live in ignorance of Apple's bad service.

They are one of the most helpful and polite companies when you place an order though. They take you money much nicer than many :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.