Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klm79

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Guys,

My pro wont load to the regular desktop. I press power on and it goes to the grey screen with the apple...every 5 seconds or so a circle with an slash through it takes place of the apple symbol. What is wrong? I cant get to any screen, and the mac osx cd is in there, as I was trying to archive and reinstall....what can i do?

Mac21ND

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
When you start up, try holding down the shift key. Normally, that will launch you into OS X Safe Mode. If that loads the OS, then try running disk utility in the Applications - Utilities folder.

You can also access Disk Utility by loading the the original system restore disk that came with your Mac. Insert the CD, then power on your computer while olding down the "C" key. That prompts the computer to try to boot from the CD drive. If able, you can then try running the disk utility from there.

Good luck!

Edit: To get your CD out, power on the computer while holding down the mouse button below the trackpad. That prompts the computer to eject the CD.

sbluetruck

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2007
Wisconsin der hey
better yet, check the hard drive without booting the OS

hold command+s while starting to boot into single user mode. you should get the grey :apple: then a black screen with white lettering

after it's done writing, type in

fsck -f

include the space
it'll run a scan and fix minor issues on the hard drive.

when it's done (it will say so)

type reboot and hope for the best!
also, try repairing permissions through apps=>utilities=> disk utility

good lucck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.