Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Appleinsider gives us a close up look at Leopard's Preview application.

Beyond the basic PDF and image file viewing, Preview 4.0 adds new tools to annotate PDFs with ovals, rectangle, text notes and hyperlinks. Apple also added underline, strikeout, or highlight a text selection in the Acrobat compatible format. These additional tools, however, are not available in the default Preview toolbar. Users must customize the toolbar to have access to the new tools.

Image editing tools are also provided, including image correction, size adjustment, instant alpha, and extract shape, giving Preview an interesting subset of editing tools.

Preview 4.0 will ship with Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard which is expected to be released later this month.

Article Link

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I love the additional PDF annotation. I just want a few more image editing tools though. :(

The adjust color and size panels are a step in the right direction though!

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
This sounds like excellent functionality for Preview. Can you do most or any of things in Acrobat Reader? This would be a hoot if Apple gave us these tools for free and Adobe does not.

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
This is excellent. It is quite often that I want to make a quick change to a picture or something before I email it to someone. I usually have to open up Photoshop Elements or something, and the hassle isn't worth what I get from it. Having some simple tools in Preview would be great for me.

P-Worm

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
This is one leopard feature I'm really looking forward to using. Going to be extremely useful for me

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
Awesome! I've been waiting for decent PDF annotations and the ability to resize an image without firing up Photoshop for a long time...

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
I love preview just because it's so much faster than adobe's free offering.

Kipling

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2007
Cambridge UK
This sounds like excellent functionality for Preview. Can you do most or any of things in Acrobat Reader? This would be a hoot if Apple gave us these tools for free and Adobe does not.

Apart from the free Acrobat Reader - which allows no file modification at all –all we get from Adobe these days is Acrobat Professional, which is a whopping £459 here in the UK ($900?). Windows users get a cheaper version with fewer unnecessary functions.

Looks like Apple is kindly filling the gap.

bjdku

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2006
Chicago, IL
this sucks. Preview should be as lightweight as possible. It should do what it implies, preview. Allowing it to open in the appropriate application from preview would be nice. I guess Apple has other things that dont do what the name implies...ah em...iTunes.

Punani

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2004
Los Angeles
It's a welcomed thing you can now resize pictures.. This is a common action that the current Preview.app doesn't have (well to my knowledge)

The funny thing is that I think the system frameworks support this natively, because there's an Automator action for it.

Of course, the Automator action could have been specifically written, but still...

Simmerl

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2007
this sucks. Preview should be as lightweight as possible. It should do what it implies, preview. Allowing it to open in the appropriate application from preview would be nice. I guess Apple has other things that dont do what the name implies...ah em...iTunes.

A lightweight image and PDF preview is Quicklook. ^^

brianus

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2005

I guess QuickLook is the new Preview, huh? I just hope the new features don't make Preview any less lightweight. I'm going to miss the Drawer..

I Am Designer™

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
London, UK
With the advent of Quicklook its good to see Preview.app has grown up.

If Apple had left it pretty much unaltered it would have fallen by the wayside because Ql is far more convenient as a viewer.

It good to know that I won't have to fire up Photoshop to quickly re-size an image... Though I hope that Apple have kept the application light and nimble.

MattJessop

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2007
Manchester, UK
Hurrah! Image Resize for the masses!

I hope against hope that it has preset size files.
Does anybody else know how insanely hard it is to get a passport sized photo exactly as it should be? (For us mere mortals that don't have Photoshop that is);)

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003

As long as it launches in the same time, why should it matter.

The extra functionality doesn't get in the way of anything basic and no functionality has been lost.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
Some folks at think secret were taking the position that this can't replace Photoshop and Acrobat Pro. While I agree, I would rather fire up preview and do some quick things rather than Photoshop.

Also, Preview is still lightweight, all the additional tools are hidden unless you want them. And you don't have to use any of the stuff, you can still preview just like you do today.

mkaake

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2003
mi
The ability to finally add / subtract / move pages within pdf documents means that I can drop at least 1 more app from my computer :)

And having instant alpha available w/in preview will save me some time firing up the Gimp...

<edit>

and linking! finally!

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
Hmmm... Sounds like Apple is starting to move Preview into the space between Adobe Reader and Acrobat. This seems like an excellent idea - I wonder how Preview will develop during Leopard updates and into 10.6? Looking forward to trying this out - so much better than additional visualizations in iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.