Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Oct 2, 2007, 01:07 PM   #1
nowaycomputer
macrumors newbie

Recovering ibook data

My ibook g4 (1.42, 14") died recently - I tried a few fixes, they worked for 30minutes or so, then it died again. Seems to be one of these logic board/graphics cards solder problems. Anyway, while it annoyed me quite a bit, it was a couple of years old and allows me to justify buying a macbook (when apple get around to releasing leopard).

I had been making regular backups of my drive using carbon copy cloner, but the last time I did it was about 2 months ago. Not devastating, but ideally I'd like to get most recent stuff back as well.

Is there an easy way to get data from the ibook g4 or am I resigned to ripping open the case, removing the HD and buying a ATA/USB adaptor?
nowaycomputer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2007, 05:23 AM   #2
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

There are a few different ways.

• Boot from another Mac using Target Disk Mode.
  • Take the drive out and put it in a 2.5" case before connecting it to another Mac, as you mentioned.
  • Boot from an external Firewire drive with OSX installed on it.

Good luck!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs