Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lugesm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
New to the Mac, but by wife and I both have them now, separated by about 50 ft.

I have read that a firewire connection between the two allows transfer of data between machines, but both of these are desktop machines; and moving them close enough together is not parctical.

What I would actually like to do is to sync iCal, iTunes,
and Address Book between the two Macs as often as needed in as simple a way as possible.

Too much to ask? Hoping . . . . .

Thanks for your help.

tilman

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2006
New to the Mac, but by wife and I both have them now, separated by about 50 ft.

I have read that a firewire connection between the two allows transfer of data between machines, but both of these are desktop machines; and moving them close enough together is not parctical.

What I would actually like to do is to sync iCal, iTunes,
and Address Book between the two Macs as often as needed in as simple a way as possible.

Too much to ask? Hoping . . . . .

Thanks for your help.

The easiest is to get an Internet connection with a wireless router, set up both of your Mac's for wireless networking (if they are new, they have that built-in), and then get an Apple .mac account for $99/year for iCal and Address Book syncing. iTunes cannot be sync'ed, but you can share your songs over the network.

Or go to a bookstore, and buy one of the many fine books about Mac OSX. "Mac OS X Tiger Edition - The Missing Manual" by David Pogue for example would be a good resource to help you with questions like this.

lugesm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
Thanks for your comments and support.

I looked into .mac and decided that would solve most of the problem, but at $99/machine/year it seems a little excessive for such a service. Maybe I'm missing something.

Will have to look at the home network approach, as that is a one-time expense that I control completely.

I wonder if someone makes a reasonably priced firewire extender so that I could connect in that manner and use the Mac's networking capabilities to accomplish this.

Thanks again,
L

johny5

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2007
UK
Thanks for your comments and support.

I looked into .mac and decided that would solve most of the problem,
L

To be honest, I had a lone macbook that worked superb and when I bought an Imac 24" i thought it was time for .Mac so I purchased that. I have had nothing but trouble when trying to sync 2 macs, the stupidist thing I ever did was to sync the keychains!

When I got the 24" imac I cloned the macbook using firewire so everything went across to the imac including the keychain, then when i tried to sync for the first time with .mac it gave me an option to use .mac keychain (which I did as I had just updated it) then BOTH Macs started to play up. Sorry but I cant remember the exact errors but it was along the lines of incorrect passwords and when I wanted to add further passwords it would not store them in the keychain.
At one point (and this realled p*ssed me off) i opened up the system prefs and i had a recurring box telling me that the keychain couldnt be accessed or was corrupt, gave me some error code. So i opened up the keychain and verified it, cleaned it, scrubbed it with fairy liquid, you name it I did it and at no time did it say the keychain was faulty.
But when I returned to open up system prefs the error returned.
Well thanks alot Mac (they just work) mmmm course, I ended up deleting the keychain on both macs.
To this day I still get some quirky error regarding the keychain or some password issue, obviously i dont sync my keychain anymore......
Rant off.

lugesm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
johny5 -

Thanks for your comments. I am new to the Mac, but I just did not feel good about .mac when the salesman at the Apple store discussed it with me.

Your experience leads me to believe that it might be useful to some more experienced Mac experts, but I am still trying to learn the basics. Don't need any new trouble.

johny5

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2007
UK
imho I think at £70 .mac is not value for money, I only purchased it as they were selling it off at Toysrus and I purchased for £29 just before Apple announced the increase in storage space so this was value for me. I wont renew it if it costs more than £50 in future though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.