Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Oct 2, 2007, 03:33 PM   #1
treehorn
macrumors 6502

iPhone randomly vibrates

Seeing if anybody else has experienced this problem. My 8GB Iphone (3 weeks old) is randomly vibrating. The pulse lasts about a second and happens every 2-5 minutes. Happens when I'm on the phone (which gives my ear quite a jolt), if it's in standby mode (the unlock screen comes to life), or if it's active (then I get the crossed out bell icon). Doesn't seem to happen if it's in vibrate mode...oops! There it went! So I guess it does.

Called Apple (and was told all technical help was out of the office and to call back during normal business hours...umm...it's 4pm EST). Called AT&T (and was told they've never heard of it but to try and restore it when I get home)

Just curious if anybody else has experienced this, as I won't be able to try the restore for another 5 hours.
treehorn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2007, 03:35 PM   #2
BBC B 32k
macrumors 6502

you may have a bee or some insect trapped inside.
BBC B 32k is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2007, 03:40 PM   #3
plinden
macrumors 68040

It'll vibrate every time you get an email or SMS when in vibrate mode. Are you saying this is happening without you getting any messages?
plinden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2007, 03:41 PM   #4
ivi7
macrumors 6502a

Are you sure your mail isn't set up because my phone keeps vibrating when I get mail.
Try holding down the sleep and home button to reset it.
ivi7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2007, 06:45 PM   #5
oaktomas
macrumors newbie

also randomly vibrating

adding my voice to the first one here:

my phone is randomly vibrating, always thinking it's turning itself to vibrate mode (even if it's already in that mode). this happens when no message or reminder is happening and even if the phone is sitting still on a table, you can watch it repeatedly vibrate and the icon on the screen with the bell with a line through it appears.

restarting the phone gets rid of the problem for a while, leading me to believe this is a software issues and not something physically wrong with the switch.

haven't tried a full-on software restore yet, but that's probably a good idea. it DID however, do this before and after the latest update (1.1.1)

any ideas?
oaktomas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2007, 07:04 PM   #6
treehorn
macrumors 6502

Nope, doesn't do it when I have mail come in (I don't use it for mail as it always wants to download every $@#$$ piece of AOL mail, read, deleted or new). And I never do text messages (tool of satan and carpal tunnel).

I'm doing a restore of software (and thus I'm sure destroying all my ITonr ringtones...sigh) to be sure. 'feels' like a short of some kind (wondering if something got zapped last night. First time I ever plugged it into an outlet using the mini power cube instead of through the computer)
Old Oct 3, 2007, 02:11 PM   #7
teamturbo
macrumors member

Try uninstalling iBrate you pervert.
teamturbo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2007, 05:08 PM   #8
atmenterprises
macrumors regular

Mine does the same thing with 1.1.1.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 05:12 PM   #9
treehorn
macrumors 6502

Well, after spending a couple of hours yesterday restoring my IPhone's software (and no, there were no 3rd party apps on it, mr. moral minority), and updating it to 1.1.1 (and Itunes to 7.4.2, thus wiping out any and all ringtones that were any fun), it still is zapping my ear and pocket. And even more fun, it won't unlock/unfreeze/activate when a call comes in.

Went to the Apple Store and need to bring it plus the box et al to do a swap, which I'll be doing tomorrow.
Old May 5, 2009, 05:50 PM   #10
Joedelta
macrumors newbie

Yeah, mine started doing that. I did a software restore, and it seemed to help, but didn't completely solve the problem. Curious.

Another behavior before the restore was that it acted like the "volume up" button was being pressed regularly, so if I lowered the volume, it would immediately climb back to maximum.

The software restore fixed that, and substantially reduced the crazy mute/unmute vibration -- but doesn't seem to have completely eliminated it.

Odd.
Joedelta is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2009, 11:53 AM   #11
vasche
macrumors newbie

Same issue

I have same issue. When I shake phone it starts to vibrate as well. So it's unlikely a software issue.
Basically when switch is in the silent mode the phone reacts as if I were switching repeatedly to/from silent mode, the silent/normal mode icon appears and disappears.
vasche is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2009, 02:00 PM   #12
patrickdunn
macrumors 6502a

Or, it could just be Phantom Vibration Syndrome. Here is a story from USA Today.

No, it's not just in your head!!
Old May 26, 2009, 09:37 PM   #13
mantzm
macrumors newbie

I had a similar problem and had to have my phone replaced sunday because the switch on the side was faulty.
mantzm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2009, 09:47 PM   #14
alphatectz
macrumors 6502a

having the same issue

i've been having the same issue as everyone else, my iphone seems to vibrate here and there, no new messages emails or anything. it has to be something with the iphone.

MRoogle has your answers.
alphatectz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2009, 02:50 AM   #15
xyzstarr
macrumors newbie

this is extremely frustrating

after so many months since the problem was first reported, there is no official fix.
xyzstarr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 12:34 PM   #16
darylj
macrumors newbie

me too

my iPhone started having the same issues mentioned here after I dropped it one day. It appears to be a physical issue with the case. If I squeeze the phone casing slightly it fixes it for the moment leading me to believe the casing is effecting the button contacts.
darylj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 07:42 PM   #17
hoekmaster
macrumors newbie

Talking solution

Mine was doing the same thing so I took it into the local apple store. The 'genius' squeezed it on either side of the vibrate button when in vibrate mode and it activated the vibrator so he gave me a new device. Thankfully it was still under warranty. The whole process took less than 10 minutes. Genius.
hoekmaster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2010, 10:58 PM   #18
roryh
macrumors newbie

I figured out something...

Well, mine began to vibrate one day. I figured out if you put a filter on your email (ie gmail) to sort things out into different folders or move into "trash", then it won't show up in your inbox, but it will still vibrate when you get that new mail.

So check to see if you have this sort of set up. Turned out to be my cause of vibrating.
roryh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2010, 02:37 AM   #19
ZoltanS
macrumors newbie

fix

My iPhone started randomly vibrating. I finally figured out the fix when I went to "Settings", "Mail Contacts Calendars". I scrolled to the very bottom where it says "Notes". The "Default Account" was set to my yahoo email address. I checked "On My Phone", and that did the trick.
ZoltanS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:21 AM   #20
rosilani
macrumors newbie

I am trying to find some sort of explanation for this and there doesnt seem to be anything that fits with whats happening to me.

My phone has a random vibrate. I honestly cant tell you if it would make a sound or not as i constantly have it on silent.

i know its got nothing to do with the silent switch because this happens only when its lying on a surface and nothing is touching it.

Its also not one of those phantom vibrate things where i am expecting it to go off because i never expect msg or calls.

When i check my phone there are no msg, no emails, no app notifications, nothing. The screen doesnt even light up. and its not an alarm either.

The weirdest thing about it is it happens at exactly 08:01 every morning. No other time.

I will be getting ready in the morning minding my own business when all of a sudden i hear a buzz, check my phone and nothing. its starting to creep me out. i cant find an explanation for it. if it were happening frequently and sporadically then i would assume something faulty but its always exactly at 08:01 am.
rosilani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:27 AM   #21
JamesMB
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosilani View Post
but its always exactly at 08:01 am.
Sounds like you have an alarm set to go off at 08:01am.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 06:13 AM   #22
Redbeard25
macrumors regular

Thumbs up Check your apps

I got caught by this.

I just installed the new Gmail app. It turned out to be the vibration culprit. Turned sound off in notifications and the buzz is gone.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:14 PM   #23
amg53
macrumors newbie

Got the same problem yesterday and it was the mail app. It would fetch every hour and vibrate shortly (not the normal long vibration of a notification). In iOS 6, just go to settings > notifications > mail > select the email inbox (gmail, yahoo, et cetera) > scroll down to new mail sound > scroll up to vibration and select none. All fixed!
amg53 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2014, 08:46 AM   #24
Oldhonky
macrumors newbie

I have the same problem on my iphone 3GS. I've tried all the tips above none of them works for me. I've also turned off all notifications.

In addition when my phone is set to ring (mute off) it doesn't it lights up, and if I switch the mute on then off again whilst it is lit up it starts ringing.

Any ideas?
Oldhonky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2014, 11:43 AM   #25
Crichton333
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMB View Post
Sounds like you have an alarm set to go off at 08:01am.
Lol got a good chuckle from this

Seriously someone needs to film their iPhone with a camera so we have proof of this. Until then seems like phantom vibration syndrome

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting